No announcement yet.

DF deployment to Chad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They need to bring lots of water or the capacity to produce, purchase etc. As regards Militray equip, cannot see more than MOWAGS and perhaps open vehicles mounted with Mags, 0.5s etc. FRENCH have been there for a long time so have well developed logs and heavier weapon capacity. IRISH need to be on the ball, keep their mnds open and not rush to decisions as to who is friend or foe. I have not been to Chad but like a lot of similar conflicts alliances change, friend today enemy tomorrow, and UN are usually considered as fair game by any gooks unless they understand that there wil be a robust response if Irish are interferred with.

Comment

To justify the expense to their Government colleagues (the Green Party)?!

Good PR

Let the bad boys know whats coming.

Comment

Originally posted by The Thing View Post
        A little thing called media coverage would ensure that the deployment would be known to the Irish population, as it was for every other high profile mission that Irish troops have been involved in.
        You and I would read an article about the DF. Your average Irish person would turn the page and move onto the Hurling results.
        sigpic
        Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
        My favourite moment was when the
        red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Originally posted by Tribunius View Post
          They fly a converted Antonov cargo plane over the target village and drop make shift bombs on them. They are made from barrels and I wouldn't call them accurate but still a potential treat.
          Even the least accurate of unguided bombs always hits the ground.

Argentina used this tactic with a C-130 against a British oil tanker in 1982 - the bomb hit, but was a dud and rolled over the side.
          Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

hi all
            My wife was there as an aid worker. The villages and airfields all had slit trenches or other such protection dug and there was always someone on the lookout. If an Antonov was seen, the lookout would bang or rattle a piece of metal or such like and everyone would take cover.The downside was that genuine aid aircraft would arrive at an airfield and find no-one on hand, as the locals would have gone to ground. Also, the MiG attacks happened so fast that there would be no warning...sometimes the bombs are Russian-made FAB 500s, which are notorious for the amount of duds.The villagers would hear the thump of their arrival and find a bomb sticking out of the ground.Not knowing if it was a genuine dud or a delayed-action bomb meant that aid distribution or herding or sowing of crops could not go ahead until the bomb went off or was dragged away by someone brave enough.
            regards
            GttC

Comment

Sorry for opening a dead thread but,
              I heard from an ex-fianoglach man ( still serving PDF ) that Rangers are pretty much always in first before the PDF contingent goes. So why is it news when they go again???
              I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzler View Post
                Sorry for opening a dead thread but,
                I heard from an ex-fianoglach man ( still serving PDF ) that Rangers are pretty much always in first before the PDF contingent goes. So why is it news when they go again???
                If by always you mean they went to East Timor and Liberia first,then both you and your ex-Ranger buddy are correct.
                sigpic
                Say NO to violence against Women

My favourite moment was when the
                red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Originally posted by fiannoglach View Post

AFAIK the Giraffe has a range of 40 miles
                  Mig23 attack speed is 840 MPH, which is 14 miles a minute.
                  2.85 minutes to leggit as far away from the Giraffe as you can as there's probably an anti-radar missile on it's way!!!!
                  A very fair and good point... California also makes a good point about the application of bofors in compound defence.. they can be devastating as anti personnel weapons, and can take light armour out of the race too..

I dont know why Scorporians were mentioned, they are a light Recce Tank, and IMO, pritty useless.. any derivative use for them is taken away (with interest) by the mohowgs...

Correct me if Im wrong, but one of the reason for the deployment delay was a lack of Air Cover right?..
                  "There is nothing braver then the heart of a volunteer" Lt. Col. Dolittle, USAC, 1941.

Comment

Originally posted by Exo1 View Post
                    Correct me if Im wrong, but one of the reason for the deployment delay was a lack of Air Cover right?..
                    I understand that Sweden is making an air cover contribution. In vast open spaces the requirement is for helicopter transport.

There was a piece in the Irish Times during the week that the mission is undersized.
                    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

Originally posted by Victor View Post
                      I understand that Sweden is making an air cover contribution. In vast open spaces the requirement is for helicopter transport.

There was a piece in the Irish Times during the week that the mission is undersized.
                      Cool... thanks for that, the swedes have great aircraft which can land on very short strips to other contemporary fighters, take a bigger beating, and had a fairly good one out too... saw some coverage on UTube of an exercise invoving the Swedish Air Force and it was impressive how the craft could be refueled, armed and back into the air in double quick time, it landed on approx 600m of duel carrageway..... mobile ground crew had it back up again within 10 mins.... cool!!...
                      "There is nothing braver then the heart of a volunteer" Lt. Col. Dolittle, USAC, 1941.

Comment

The Defence Forces deployment to Chad due tonight has been delayed again.

short clip on them loading the aircraft today
                        Last edited by mutter nutter; 31 January 2008, 21:24.
                        Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

Thanks Mutter

Comment

I see they're still wearing the british DPM gear!
                            Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                              I see they're still wearing the british DPM gear!

Their not over their yet!
                              Last edited by Craghopper; 31 January 2008, 22:04.

Comment

Departure delayed due to trouble at the destination airport.

Chad mission delayed after airport closure
                                Thursday, 31 January 2008 20:08
                                The Defence Forces deployment to Chad due tonight has been delayed again.

The Chad airport where they were due to land has been closed because of rebel troop movement near the capital, N'Djamena.

All deployment of EU troops has been delayed as of 6.30pm tonight.

AdvertisementThere are already eight Irish military personnel in Chad. Three are there as part of EUFOR Chad/CAR Force HQ and five are an advance party of the Army Ranger Wing.

At present there is no threat to their security and they are in regular contact. They are keeping Defence Forces HQ and the mission's Operational HQ in Paris updated.

The situation will continue to be monitored closely.

'Obviously we will take whatever action necessary to ensure safety of our personnel,' a spokesperson for the Defense Forces said.

'The current tensions are a matter for the Chadian authorities. It does not fall within the remit of the UN-mandated mission, which is focused on the protection of refugees and internally displaced persons in eastern Chad.'

About 50 members of the elite Army Ranger wing were due to fly to Central Africa tonight in the build-up to the start of the EU peace enforcement mission in Chad.

The rangers, along with army engineers, will be based in Abeche, the headquarters of the EU force.

Their job will be to set up camp and help create a safe working zone for the main body of 350 Irish troops who will be deployed to Chad in mid-March.

This large group of Irish soldiers will be based in Goz Beida and their mission is to protect both refugees from neighbouring Darfur and camp workers.

Last night, the transportation of army equipment began at Dublin airport.

The first of four huge Russian Antinov cargo flights was loaded with 300 tonnes of gear for the rangers. Included are 18 military vehicles, weapons, ammunition, water and medical supplies.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                                X