No announcement yet.

DF deployment to Chad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I'm having trouble figuring out is why this particular ARW deployment has been so controversial when the media realy couldn't have been bothered with what they did before(except that container incident). I mean, the media probobly couldn't have found out what the ARW are up to even if they wanted before. Why the sudden change?

Comment

I don't think it is the ARW that is the controversial. I think questions are being asked on the whole deployment. In particular the significant involvement of the French and the impact that would have on the impartiality (or the viewed impartiality) of the force. These, in my opinion, are legitimate questions. In particular given France's support for the current president and the fact that it was the former colonial power in Chad. Anybody else have concerns over this?

Comment

It does call into question whether the force will be fully impartial
        It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Originally posted by Bam Bam View Post
          It does call into question whether the force will be fully impartial
          The French did not appear to have played a role in the recent trouble in N'Djamena. Thats without the EUFOR deployment when they might have been able to distance an intervention from the other countries on their way.

Who knows what will happen in the future but any threat to the mission is likely to come from the rebels not the government, therefore any action against them would not be seen as "helping the government" but protecting the job they are there to do. When all is said and done there will still be photos of dying children in camps which should allay fears some might have.
          You will never have a quiet world until you knock the patriotism out of the human race

Comment

AAs I said months ago this is a very complex situation in which the army are getting involved. The chances are that they will be targeted by one group or another. How one is to be percieved as impartial in an area where policies , public information etc are controlled by whoever is in charge and where there is little public debate will be very difficult. However where in any conflict situation can the politics, clan dynamics, ethnicity etc ever be less than complex. I have read a few blogs regarding he deployment..( I do not have access to irish media except via internet) It ranges from Ireland is an US puppet, to lets go and kick Islamic arse to why are they going there when their own country is occupied etc.
            I think Ireland has an international committment /obligations and Chad is a legitimate but they should not think that any proclamations of neutrality will in any way protect them.
            I was at a dinner a few weeks ago where there were about 6 different nationalities several of whom had worked with NGOs UN in Liberia , They had only praise for the Irish troop and could not speak highly enough of them .. A comment one made was if there was any trouble in town and we knew the Irish were on standby then we knew it would be OK.So from a purely representative, ambassadorial function worth sending them .. I just hope casualties are kept to a min.

Comment

Chad declares state of emergency

Chad declares state of emergency
              15/02/2008 - 07:54:35

Chad’s president declared a nationwide state of emergency, telling his citizens that tightened controls were needed to restore order after recent rebel attacks.

In a speech broadcast on national radio and television, President Idriss Deby said he had signed a decree that would increase the government’s powers for 15 days, starting today, as allowed in Chad’s constitution.

Mr Deby said the decree instituted “important and urgent measures to maintain order, guarantee stability and assure the good functioning of the state”.

The text announced “a state of emergency throughout the territory of the Republic of Chad”.

The declaration gives extra powers to regional governors to control the movement of people and vehicles, bans most meetings, allows the government to control what is published in the media, and institutes a midnight to 6am curfew.

“These are exceptional measures, but I must do this to assure the regular functioning of the state,” Mr Deby said, calling on regional governors to “mobilise all their means – human and material – to help restore public order”.

After 15 days, Chad’s national assembly can decide whether to allow an extension of the state of emergency.
              Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

There's a story in today's Irish Times that the French miitary transported ammunition for the Chad government during the recent attack on the capital. Apparently French aircraft flew in T-55 tank rounds from Libya. The article concludes "The rebels argue that France is a partisan player in the conflict and that its intervention has made the EU peacekeeping mission there a legitimate target."

Comment

INTERVIEW-EU Chad force commander vows neutral, robust action
                  09 Feb 2008 11:28:31 GMT
                  Source: Reuters

N'DJAMENA, Feb 9 (Reuters) -

French General Jean-Philippe Ganascia, who plans to resume the force's interrupted deployment next week and be operational by the end of March, told Reuters on Friday he would not hesitate to attack anyone threatening civilians in the east.

"If I have all the intelligence needed to know that those people I am now facing are going to attack somebody else, I will attack them too. I won't wait for them to attack if I can attack first," Ganascia said in an interview.

But he said his troops would not block any rebel advance, such as the one that crossed the arid country last week from the east to N'Djamena in the west, unless civilians were in danger.

"As long as they had not been attacking any civilians, NGOs or (U.N. mission) MINURCAT members ... they would have passed through and arrived in N'Djamena," said Ganascia, adding his task was to ensure security rather than peacekeeping as such.

Nevertheless, the EU force would step up security plans for the road linking its eastern headquarters in Abeche to N'Djamena, where it is assembling mobile offices at a compound once intended to be the capital's new prison.

DISTANCE FROM FRENCH FORCE

France already has troops and war planes stationed in Chad under a bilateral accord, and has vowed robust support for the government in its former colony since last weekend's attack. Analysts say France's position compromises the neutrality of the European mission, and some rebel leaders threatened last year to attack European troops if they stood in their way. But Ganascia, who reports to Irish General Patrick Nash at the force's strategic headquarters in France, insisted there would be no confusion with the French force, known as Epervier (Hawk).

"I don't have any secret report to the French government," Ganascia said, adding he had deliberately avoided official contact with Epervier during last week's fighting. "There is not a single common point between their mission and ours."

"On the TV during the events, two rebel groups' leaders made statements saying they had nothing against the Eufor arrival."

Ganascia said his force was tasked with securing an area 26 times the size of Kosovo, scene of a much bigger EU mission, and its 3,700-troop mandate was 1,000 fewer than first planned. "If I could get more, I would get more," he said.

Brigadier General GANASCIA was born on 18 July 1953. He attended Saint Cyr Military Academy from 1975-1977 and completed special to arm training at the Engineer School at Angers in 1978 after which, he took command of an Engineer platoon. He has served with Parachute and Foreign Legion Units and commanded a Foreign Legion Engineer Regiment. He has held staff appointments in Regiment, Division, Corps, Land Command and MOD level in the intelligence, operations and training fields. He has participated in operations in the Lebanon, in Bosnia and Herzegovina and in Kosovo. He was promoted to the rank of Brigadier General on 1 September 2006. He is Deputy Commander, French Joint Force and Training HQ.
                  You will never have a quiet world until you knock the patriotism out of the human race

Comment

Originally posted by Fireplace View Post
                    The Poles are sending 2 of these ZU-23-2 anti-aircraft guns for protection.

Found this. This belongs to Chadian troops

"The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Love the sunglasses...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Looks like we should be sending the Scorpions.

Comment

Chadian again.
                          "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by Victor View Post
                            Rather modest number, isn't it?
                            I wouldn't like to be on the recieving end of that !!!
                            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

delete
                              Last edited by mutter nutter; 16 February 2008, 21:38.
                              Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

this might be a stupid question to some, but given that chad is a relatively dry country and there is not much vegitation for our green Camo'd APC's , jeeps whatever they might send, to blend into the backround with!?should we not paint our vehicles a desert camo maybe or are they already painted?!might not stand out as much, since they may quickly become targets?!one picture from Dublin airport showed one of the rangers Ford's still green!

Comment

Working...
                                X