No announcement yet.

Eithne 1985 some memories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[quote= .. there is a story behind the sword.. it had to be polished to the highest standard so it took a while ie a week .. in the sun with brasso .. what a life////[/quote]

What's the story behind the sword?

Comment

Originally posted by Test Pilot View Post
      What's the story behind the sword?
      as i say it was one of the old swords that was brought on the trip for willie and it was in bits rust and years of brasso... my sole job for the week was to get it back in some shape sat on the flight polishing away and getting a tan... when we arrived the only one allowed with a sword was the captain... poor old willie..

Comment

Another blast from the past.

Now that I have my sword and boxers, I must get myself a uniform!
        Is that you in the pic with the sword? Now I know who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by YankeeHotelFoxtrot View Post
          Is that you in the pic with the sword? Now I know who you are.
          Yup! Poor old 'boxcar'.

Actually, YHF, thats not me in the photo! I was never a 'batman' and I certainly would not put myself up for ridicule. I do that for every one else.

Comment

Yup! Poor old 'boxcar'.

Actually, YHF, thats not me in the photo! I was never a 'batman' and I certainly would not put myself up for ridicule. I do that for every one else.
            ah ye have it all wrong let me explain a sword is an item of ordanance so it was the gunnery dept on the ship that was responsible for the maint of same .. a lot of our time was spent below decks with cleaning of weapons etc. so when the opportunity arose we got out into the sun with jobs like this and made the best of it... i seen a few fellows dressed as batman on the ship but thats a different story yhf no pictures are available of test pilot they are all censored only to be shown after 21.30

Comment

have no idea what became of 'fwankie' but had served with him on Eithne. I was on leave and had decided to go to London to visit a few muesuems. We were in the middle of Kings Cross at rush hour and next thing he must have spotted me and over the crowds could be heard....'hayyyyyyy Murpheeeeeeee Boy how ya doing..Looked around and here he was pissed as a fart...but his powers of recognition were intact
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Gosh! I hope he is keeping ok. He was the one who lost his false teeth while 'gawking' over the side once on Eithne.

I notice Jimmy G. there also. He was a mech on board.
                Last edited by Test Pilot; 27 April 2008, 19:10.

Comment

Gosh! I hope he is keeping ok. He was the one who lost his false teeth while 'gawking' over the side once on Eithne.

fwankie is either acting po/full po, but he is still in the navy completely changed i believe and settled down

Comment

maybe he is still looking for his choppers and heard a ballhop they were in London
                    Murp had them ha

Comment

• Crew mate to the rescue

Eithne crew member has his conversation with local in Bantry watering hole cut short my crew mate .
                      Attached Files
                      Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• And some just had no intrest
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Lol...story behind that is hilarious.

I remember the night in question, you lot were out on the piss while I was in Bantry hospital which makes it saturday 14th Feb 1987.

The 'bird' had been comming on to 'Ted' all night with no sucess, seemingly she believed Ted would be a good catch as he was rumoured to have a few bob.

The penny never dropped until one of Teds comrades enlightened her to Teds preferences lets just say she never had a chance.

I got to know her afterward as one of the crew a certain PO ERA was married to a girl from bantry, and the fact I was going to be in bantry for while after the ship departed they used to feed me. Grub in hospital was awaful and they used to raid the local chpper before visiting me.

I'm not mentioning names although I do remember them all.

After about a week a bottle of 7 UP was produced and I thought , nice , very thoughtful, that night before settling down I decided on a glass of 7 UP...quelle suprise....neat vodka,,,two litres..I made a svre hole in it that night and the nurses couldn't figure out why I was so sick the next day!

That few weeks I spent in hospital was a real eye opener as I discovered the £2 per week I was paying for welfare was a waste. The Flag Officers car was sent to collect me... remember the big blue granada... and the transport officer in Haulbowline,an Army Officer lost his stand up when he discovered it had been sent out to collect a mere O/S from bantry... and wanted me to continue my journey home to waterford in a Land Rover. Divisonal officer finally settled ona travel warrant.

The good side was Liam Donaldson was the XO at the time and gave me enough fags to cover me until I got out of hospital... the man gave 1000 Rothmans..eternally gratefull
                          Last edited by hptmurphy; 4 December 2008, 18:07.
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by Laners View Post
                            And some just had no intrest
                            Brilliant!

Comment

• Anyone any comments about post 100 ?

Comment

• I wasn't there on the night but I reckon TP had a lucky escape

Comment

Working...
                                X