Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by damo de muff diver View Post
    Thanks a million T.P.
    It is lovely to see that you are still the gentleman you were way back when.
    I still remember the day he painted it , I wonder what it looks like now that is if it is still there
    according to mick kelly it is still there but gone tattered as the tradition is gone that if you painted a ships crest you had to touch up the one in bad condition. modern royal navy im afraid something like our own .. you dont have to walk up and down to the basin anymore golf carts for that now.. 23years ago . time is moving on damo

Comment

• Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
      according to mick kelly it is still there but gone tattered as the tradition is gone that if you painted a ships crest you had to touch up the one in bad condition. modern royal navy im afraid something like our own .. you dont have to walk up and down to the basin anymore golf carts for that now.. 23years ago . time is moving on damo
      Glad that it is still there , pity about it being tatty

GOLF CARTS! for going up and down to the basin
      How I would have loved that
      Do many of them go into the tide because if we had them it would have been at least one a day
      I remember having to dive and recover the lister
      Ohhh happy days :wink:
      What do you mean abandon ship
      Are they taking requests?

Comment

• Originally posted by damo de muff diver View Post
        Glad that it is still there , pity about it being tatty

GOLF CARTS! for going up and down to the basin
        How I would have loved that
        Do many of them go into the tide because if we had them it would have been at least one a day
        I remember having to dive and recover the lister
        Ohhh happy days :wink:
        I heard a story recently about an electric trolley being bought to move sea riders about when they are in for maintenance... however the one bought was useless at its intended role, but was bought because the manufacturers threw in a free golf cart....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• ustabeanera

I remember the buggy you spoke of, the guy in charge of S.S.G at the time was a prominent member of a local golf club at that time.
          Last edited by blaisec; 8 February 2009, 22:21.

Comment

• hmmm douglas

Comment

• You might say that but I could not possibly comment

Comment

• Originally posted by blaisec View Post
                You might say that but I could not possibly comment
                The same guy had a catch phrase when he would bring in some item for repair, be it a toaster, wicrowave, dishwasher, camera, radio, outboard engine, sounder, car, boat, washing machine ............

'Eh, this belongs to an old lady down the road. You might have a look at this for her, Chief '.
                Last edited by Test Pilot; 11 February 2009, 09:36.

Comment

• Claw me!! TP you could be on the money there.

The same man wanted to have me courtmartialed once because I kind of grounded the boat I was taking him into the basin on.

He was dissuaded from this when it was found out that I did not have a steering ticket!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by blaisec View Post
                    Claw me!! TP you could be on the money there.

The same man wanted to have me courtmartialed once because I kind of grounded the boat I was taking him into the basin on.

He was dissuaded from this when it was found out that I did not have a steering ticket!!!!
                    I was always of the opinion when you lot went into the engine room they should have locked the hatches so as to protect the general population
                    The only time you lot should have been in a boat was to fix it after the likes of me had broken it
                    What do you mean abandon ship
                    Are they taking requests?

Comment

• The crest was still there in 2003 when I was posted there ,the banner had faded .
                      The wall was repainted in white by the harbour master but all the naval crests were left.
                      The dockyard was by this stage handed over to the civil goverment ,
                      I was surprised to see my old ships crest on the wall .

Comment

• Originally posted by spud68 View Post
                        The crest was still there in 2003 when I was posted there ,the banner had faded .
                        The wall was repainted in white by the harbour master but all the naval crests were left.
                        The dockyard was by this stage handed over to the civil goverment ,
                        I was surprised to see my old ships crest on the wall .
                        Hi Spud,
                        Thanks for the information. I had a look recently at the Royal Dockyard in Bermuda on Google Earth, and it did look a bit different. I suspected that the RN had moved on as some of the buildings were being shown on a web site as a museum open to visitors. I think the CO house or such like was refered to.

Would love to visit again. Any pics from your trip there?

Comment

• Damo that boat was a wooden thing that came off the Setanta with a single cylinder diesel engine.
                          A bitch of a thing to start on a cold day. They used to call it the Water pony.
                          I was going out of the camber at the tech stores using the Irish steel exit. But the tide was a bit on the low side and there is a submerged rock just outside the entrance, which on a higher tide you would pass over. Our man (The Claw) was standing up doing his Nelson on the Bridge impersonation, with one hand tucked inside the great coat. When I hit the rock we came to a halt and he fell forward.
                          The trottle linkage came off the engine and the thing stalled. Not a toolbox in site, we had to paddle using floorboards to the Steel Pier. All the the time yer man ranting about keelhauling and whatnot.
                          Just another day in the life what!!!

Comment

• Test pilot
                            I have some somewhere , but am at sea at the moment will have to wait until i get back.
                            The fort itself has been converted to a museum and you can also swim with dolphins in the old stores dock . All the rest has been turned into a tourist park for cruiseliners, still a few good pubs and spent a very happy couple of months pretending to work until 15.30 then into scuba kit for an hour and beers until or after sunset.

best job in the world it was.

Comment

Test pilot
                              I have some somewhere , but am at sea at the moment will have to wait until i get back.
                              The fort itself has been converted to a museum and you can also swim with dolphins in the old stores dock . All the rest has been turned into a tourist park for cruiseliners, still a few good pubs and spent a very happy couple of months pretending to work until 15.30 then into scuba kit for an hour and beers until or after sunset.

Spud,

Fair play to you! I'm sure it was a great time. I look forward to a pic or two.

Take care!

T.P.

Comment

Test pilot

you must have been well in to get posted there.. it was a great few days there on the mopeds and all the crack...... the big frogs on the road was the target on the way home.. happy days... are you going to stay for the long haul..ie the pension...

Comment

Working...
                                X