Eithne 1985 some memories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Laners View Post
    Both , Remember Dave Swords , He was the skipper for the ship yard ?
    You are right, Laners! I had forgotten his name. Do you remember he 'creased' the port side quarter aft, after sea trails? It was cut out and replaced within a day or so. I must look to see if the weld marks are still there!

Comment

Originally posted by Test Pilot View Post
      You are right, Laners! I had forgotten his name. Do you remember he 'creased' the port side quarter aft, after sea trails? It was cut out and replaced within a day or so. I must look to see if the weld marks are still there!
      Stand by one! Pic to follow.

Look at Mick when he had his hair!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Test Pilot; 11 February 2008, 22:09.

Comment

It was taken care overnight , I was staying onboard with a few other shipyard catering personell and we took care of dinner for the lads doing the repair .
        Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

It was taken care overnight , I was staying onboard with a few other shipyard catering personell and we took care of dinner for the lads doing the repair .
          Do you remember Frank Mc Cann? A real decent Guy! He told me once he was the last Bosn on the last steel hulled sailing ship? Do you remember that? He is the one in the green overalls(RIP) above. Kept us all in boots and overalls!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Test Pilot; 11 February 2008, 22:19.

Comment

He was taking the ship out one day for a run down to Kinsale and back and the civvy nav officer said he did not have any charts , Swords told him not to worry about it and off we went , and he laughing his head off at the look on the faces of the various Naval Service officers present . We don't need no stinkin charts .

Comment

They where a great bunch altogether , they all had been at sea in the past and the stories out of them where something to remember . Remember all the beer served with lunch on sea trials .

Comment

He was taking the ship out one day for a run down to Kinsale and back and the civvy nav officer said he did not have any charts , Swords told him not to worry about it and off we went , and he laughing his head off at the look on the faces of the various Naval Service officers present . We don't need no stinkin charts .
                Ha! Ha! Dead right too! By the way I hope you didn't mind me adding the extra buttons to the earlier pic! Sure you deserved them anyway!
                Last edited by Test Pilot; 11 February 2008, 22:23.

Comment

TP, your dockyard photos reminded me of these photos of my own, Taken back in the day, luckily with 35mm.

The one from Monkstown could easily have been taken the same day as you took yours.
                  Attached Files

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                    TP, your dockyard photos reminded me of these photos of my own, Taken back in the day, luckily with 35mm.

The one from Monkstown could easily have been taken the same day as you took yours.
                    Nice one! Why has the minister got a paint roller in his hand in pic 2?

Comment

Haha.. It sure looks like that. Maybe the dockyard missed a spot...

Comment

Lovely photos......

The minister for defence I think at the time was ' Cooney ' who launched the ship....but who played her part in the practise run.?

No longer a serving officer but can regulary be seen on T.V.

Doggy (RIP) was only a pup in some of those photos.
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Cooney was nowhere to be seen at the launch on a wet december day.

Comment

Originally posted by Test Pilot View Post
                            A blast from the past! If someone has an email for Ricky, can they PM me?

The original crew on Eithne are:
                            1. Cpo/EA Bish Cronin.
                            2. PO/ERA Dermot Woods
                            3. PO/ERA Noel Birmingham
                            4. CPO/ERA Eddie Hyland.
                            5. PO/Shipwright Gerry Cogan.
                            6. CPO/RRT Jimmy Casey.
                            7. ?
                            8. Coxn George Jefferies.
                            9. ?
                            10. CPO/EA Jimmy Deacon.
                            11. PO/Tel Pat Donaghue.
                            12. ?
                            13. CPO/EA Tom Kelly.
                            14. CPO/Mech. George Carr.
                            15. PO/Mech Peter Courthey.
                            16. PO/ERA Mick Martin.

Sorry about chippy's overalls - I couldn't clean them up in Photoshop!
                            :confused: so thats where ye were for that year nice pictures,, doggie. rip ricky mick kelly , joe halley,,

Comment

my father in law was a plater in vcd and he went out on the trials... he told me about the crack and food they had...

Comment

Cooney was nowhere to be seen at the launch on a wet december day.
                                there was a'dry run' of the event a few days before hand and a rather dimunitive Naval officer played the part and was there after know as Mrs Cooney!....and it wasn't the dimunitive one who took command...
                                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                                X