No announcement yet.

Foreign Naval Visits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw HMS Northumberland, the Spanish frigate Blas de Lezo, and the Portuguese Vasco da Gama today in Dublin. Didn't see the US ship - did she come in? Here's a pic. of the Spanish and Portuguese frigates.

I have to say the Portuguese MEKO 200 was the best-looking of the three, even though it is the smallest, although I still find the canted funnels a little odd. Those Type 23s always seem too long, the plating too thin, and those platforms along each side above the main deck with their spindly supports, they look a bit homemade.... The monstrous structure abaft the bridge on the Spanish ship makes her look ugly, and must block out any view aft from the bridge.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by easyrider View Post
      Those Type 23s always seem too long, the plating too thin, and those platforms along each side above the main deck with their spindly supports, they look a bit homemade
      Interesting to note those two covered steel or metal canopys along the main deck. They seem to have been added at some point. What their use is for I dont know.

Could it be a cosmetic feature?
      Last edited by pmtts; 13 April 2008, 21:51.

Comment

Hi All.

Go In To Dublin Port Today, And Had A Good Look At All Foue Ships, The U.s

Ship Was Tied Up Ahead Oe Hms Northtumberland, As I Walked Up To

Northtumberland, My Approach Was Broadcast From The Bridge . Treat Level

On The Duty Board Was Set At, "hightened"

Comment

Was abroad HMS Northumberland this evening (hub nobbing), an impressive vessel (and helicopter).

It is NOT open to the public!!

The age profile of the crew suprised me, junior ratings in late tens and late twenties/early thirty, Lieutenants in their 40s and early 20s, "Captain" was early 40s.
          Last edited by DeV; 15 April 2008, 01:16.

Comment

Does she fly a Lynx or a Merlin?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
              Does she fly a Lynx or a Merlin?
              Im sure I saw a Merlin on Northumberland when she last docked in Portsmouth.

Most of the Royal Naval Merlins at sea are on the Type 23's.

Put us out our misery Dev
              Last edited by pmtts; 15 April 2008, 10:31.

Comment

Merlin

Comment

HMS Tyne is in Dublin Port at the moment. I might even be able to head down for a look myself later on. Berth 8.
                  Wherever that is.
                  I used to have a map with the berth numbers, but I don't any more.

Comment

Tyne on the Quays in Dublin yesterday during my infiltration.

Heading out this morning. What's the Tug? Is it a coincedence that its the same colour as those used at RN bases, or did they bring it over for a visit too?

Comment

Looks like the 'Cluain Tarbh' (Clontarf). The colour? Would it have anything to do with the Guinness ships that used to berth up river. They had the same buff colour.
                      I notice the Kilarney in the pic. Did you know that she had a sister ship which ended up in Bermuda? I have a pic of her in Dockyard, Bermuda from some years ago. Can't remember her name.
                      The other tug in the attached pic is the 'Ben Eadar'.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Ah yes, thats the Tug. I remember the Guinness Boats. One is operating as an OJ tanker, while the other is a sewerage tanker. Not much change in job really.
                        Miranda Guinness and the Lady Patricia. Two of the least busy ships in the world I'd say.

Comment

That colour seems to be the default colour for most tugs!

Here was my fathers one

"The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

I think that was white originally.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                              I think that was white originally.
                              Did that belong to Connie L at one time? I'm surprised it's still afloat.

By the way, whats an OJ tanker?

Comment

Orange Juice.
                                Incedentally, the Sister ship of Cill Airne was "Blarna". I think she is almost scrap at this stage. Not sure what she was renamed as.

Comment

Working...
                                X