Foreign Naval Visits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shadow View Post
    Apologies if this is the wrong thread/forum: HMS Severn in Belfast Monday 19th June 2017.
    Royal Navy University Squadron, 3 vessels, HMS Biter , HMS Persuer, and HMS Charger visited Ireland recently -Dublin-Waterford and Haulbowline. They called to see Commodore and interacted with Naval personnel. they had a Commander i/c, a Lieut-Commander, and 3 Lieuts. They were berthed on the yacht lay bye area.

Comment

• Not a Naval Visit, but I see Charles and Herself are going to be visiting the base and touring one of the ships tomorrow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
        Not a Naval Visit, but I see Charles and Herself are going to be visiting the base and touring one of the ships tomorrow.
        No doubt following the footsteps of his ancestors, The Prince and Princess of Wales (Later King Edward VII, whom Camilla's great grandmother may have had an affair with, and Queen Alexandra after whom the quay and steps to the north of the Stone Blocks are named.) and Prince Albert Victor of Wales (Possibly Jack the Ripper) who visited there on the 15th April 1885.

King George V also visited Haulbowline and the Magazine fort on Rocky Island, during his tour of the realm following his coronation. He was widely welcomed throughout Ireland, in 1913.
        There is an interesting story told of the new kings visit to the Magazine fort which is now the Island Crematoreum.
        Because black powder was stored there, and risk of explosion was high everyone who visited had to wear wooden clogs, regardless of rank. George was there accompanied by Kitchener himself...
        Kitchener barked at the attendant at the magazine to open the door to the visiting royals. The attendant indicated the rack of clogs , and Kitchener extended the leg to the attendant to assist removing his riding boot. The attendant ignored him and the Ballylongford earl struggled to complete the shodding himself.
        Kitchener continued with the royal party but the attendant blocked their way, insisting that everyone don the clogs. Including the new king. Kitchener protested that such rules did not apply to royalty but the king was having none of it, and duly extended the royal leg in Kitcheners direction to seek assistance removing the royal boot.
        And that is how an Irishman by the name of William Smith was the only irishman to make the king of England take off his boots.
        Last edited by na grohmiti; 14 June 2018, 00:41.
        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• One of the Type 45's is in Cobh this morning.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
            One of the Type 45's is in Cobh this morning.
            HMS Diamond along side Deep Water Berth in Ringaskiddy right now !
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
              HMS Diamond along side Deep Water Berth in Ringaskiddy right now !
              Amazing that she made it that far seeing she had problems outside Devonport yesterday!

Comment

• Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
                Amazing that she made it that far seeing she had problems outside Devonport yesterday!
                Any C130s/Atlas/C17 visiting Cork Airport at the minute?

Carrying spares

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                  Any C130s/Atlas/C17 visiting Cork Airport at the minute?

Carrying spares
                  Well that could be embarrassing...

Comment

• They're defecting , Red October type of thing.
                    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
                      Some wag reckoned she drifted in on the tide!...Oddly enough I haven't seen any photos of her either alongside or comming up the harbour!
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Some wag reckoned she drifted in on the tide!...Oddly enough I haven't seen any photos of her either alongside or comming up the harbour!
                        Pics on, Cobh Edition Face Book page .
                        Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Diamond.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	698208
                            Last edited by hptmurphy; 18 July 2018, 22:47.

Comment

• Nice time to visit the harbour.
                              She was at Ringaskiddy for the duration. The location and current works make photography of the ship at berth impossible unless you are in a boat.
                              Last edited by na grohmiti; 22 July 2018, 13:55.
                              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• The Frigate Hamburg is in at Cobh, bit surprised at the level of goods they are taking on?

Comment

Working...
                                X