Foreign Naval Visits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
    Thats the sort of thinking that tells me(and others) that such a ship would be a waste of space in Irish use.
    Unless there is a minefield in the shannon estuary that needs clearing.
    Have a look to see where these vessels are normally used and you'll understand.

Naval reserve have no requirements for ships of any sort under their current guise.
    I was thinking more of Dublin Bay and Cork Harbour. A couple of mines in locations like these - or even the suspicion of mines - could shut down most of our international trade for weeks.

Yes, I know what the primary mission of those French MCMVs is. But they're cheap, and basing one or two in Dublin and Cork - and maybe elsewhere? - would provide training/operational options for the employment of the NSR that the current multi-week OPV patrols can't.

Comment

• Originally posted by easyrider View Post
      I was thinking more of Dublin Bay and Cork Harbour. A couple of mines in locations like these - or even the suspicion of mines - could shut down most of our international trade for weeks.

Yes, I know what the primary mission of those French MCMVs is. But they're cheap, and basing one or two in Dublin and Cork - and maybe elsewhere? - would provide training/operational options for the employment of the NSR that the current multi-week OPV patrols can't.
      OOh.
      If we had a Mod watching I'd love a thread split about now.
      The priority at present I'm sure you appreciate is patrolling the EEZ and beyond. Training the RDF (whether blue or green) has taken a very secondary role.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• One of the other attractions of that French MCMV is that the design is quite simple, basically that of a trawler, so we ought to be able to build them here in Ireland.

Comment

• Originally posted by easyrider View Post
          One of the other attractions of that French MCMV is that the design is quite simple, basically that of a trawler, so we ought to be able to build them here in Ireland.
          in which case,buy some unloved trawlers and paint them grey!

I'm with Goldie on this,waste of money!

Comment

• 'Mutiny on the Bounty' replica ship docks in Cork.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...299071988.html

Comment

• Russian Udaloy II Admiral Chabanenko

This was in Dublin at the weekend.

Last edited by Dogwatch; 27 July 2011, 00:14.

Comment

• Any anti war protesters down at this non American warship.?

Comment

• Anybody know the details of the Warship currently moored at the docklands in Cork?

Comment

• There is no record of any Naval Visit this weekend.
                    Where exactly? How big?

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                      There is no record of any Naval Visit this weekend.
                      Where exactly? How big?
                      Just by Port of Cork building. Just seen it in the distance few days ago but I know it was there yesterday. It looked about the same as Éithne in the distance, hazard a guess at 80Feet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Law of the sea View Post
                        Just by Port of Cork building. Just seen it in the distance few days ago but I know it was there yesterday. It looked about the same as Éithne in the distance, hazard a guess at 80Feet.
                        not much of a warship at 80 feet,smaller than a beam trawler.

Comment

• Originally posted by danno View Post
                          not much of a warship at 80 feet,smaller than a beam trawler.
                          Scratch that, I meant meters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Law of the sea View Post
                            Spanish Fisheries Protection vessel Alboran(P62) Not her first visit.

Comment

• just saw her this evening, it looked like she was leaving.

Alboran by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

Alboran by Brian Clayton, on Flickr
                              Irish Naval Service Photos

Comment

• Interesting new RHIB-launching equipment on Alboran: http://www.flickr.com/photos/shimuke/2397298981/

Comment

Working...
                                X