Thanks Thanks:  106
Likes Likes:  148
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324
    Sergeant
    Post Thanks / Like
    FGS Oker arriving in Cork this morning.

Last edited by derfel_ie; 24th February 2017 at 08:02.

2. Thanks na grohmití, pym thanked for this post
    Likes morpheus, Galloglass liked this post
    Private 2*
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by derfel_ie View Post
    FGS Oker arriving in Cork this morning.

Interesting, a SIGINT boat....

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Has to be my first time seeing a SIGINT/ELINT ship on a courtesy visit.
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?

Post Thanks / Like
    They won't find much intelligence in Cork boy.

6. Likes ibenji, danno, The real Jack, Flamingo, DeV liked this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, we are way too smart for that.
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?

8. Likes Galloglass, restless liked this post
    Sergeant
    Post Thanks / Like
    USS Donald Cook (DDG-75) in Cobh this morning.

They're well prepared for Cobh.
    Last edited by derfel_ie; 25th March 2017 at 13:55.

10. Thanks restless thanked for this post
    Likes Tempest liked this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    One can never be prepared for Cobh.

This visit was part of the centenary celebrations of the first US Naval base in Cobh. In 1917 a number of units were stationed in County Cork following the US entry into the 1st World War. Earlier in the week crew from the ship visited the Former Naval HQ in the town, now part of a Nuns Retirement home, but still commanding an excellent view of the harbour.

Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't this the vessel a crewmen has been charged with sexual offences against another crew member in Dublin?

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Isn't this the vessel a crewmen has been charged with sexual offences against another crew member in Dublin?
    Yep, the Cobh Garda arrested 1/2 last night and from what I've heard they've already been returned to the US.

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    This must be it, according to the Indo he is an officer.

http://www.thejournal.ie/arrest-us-n...02826-Mar2017/

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    This must be it, according to the Indo he is an officer.

http://www.thejournal.ie/arrest-us-n...02826-Mar2017/
    To the indo everyone in the navy is an officer. The Journal only says he is a sailor.

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cant be much to it if the alleged suspect was allowed leave the jurisdiction .

Chief Casey Ryback
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some shore leave , not confined to the precincts of the port .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cant be much to it if the alleged suspect was allowed leave the jurisdiction .
    Reported as an in-house incident. Victim and culprit were shipmates.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    Reported as an in-house incident. Victim and culprit were shipmates.
    How does that work the US navy has no jurisdiction in Dublin?

Captain
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    How does that work the US navy has no jurisdiction in Dublin?
    there will be an agreement between the Irish government and the US government about how such things are dealt with - the Irish government will be happy to not have to deal with it and the American government would prefer to keep it in house.

everyone else manages this stuff - and frankly, if no agreement was in place, the US government would not allow its ships to dock in Ireland except in a dire emergency.

21. Thanks Orion, na grohmití, Turkey thanked for this post
    Chief Casey Ryback
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can think of a few incidents involving our own which happened in other jurisdictions and they were dealt with on board with the agreement of the local cops .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ropebag View Post
    there will be an agreement between the Irish government and the US government about how such things are dealt with - the Irish government will be happy to not have to deal with it and the American government would prefer to keep it in house.

everyone else manages this stuff - and frankly, if no agreement was in place, the US government would not allow its ships to dock in Ireland except in a dire emergency.

Will prob be dealt with under the UCMJ (Uniform Code of Military Justice). From what i can gather the JAG are fairly severe with serious crimes. This person could pontentially serve time in a Military Prison!!

24. Thanks na grohmití thanked for this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ropebag View Post

Not so sure if this applies, the Shannon incursionists would dine out on that given that all international arreagements need a vote. If the alleged victim was a influential local no way would the matter be exported. It will be very expensive to get local witnesses over to the US esp as they cannot be compelled and this may render a trial unviable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by A/TEL View Post
    Will prob be dealt with under the UCMJ (Uniform Code of Military Justice). From what i can gather the JAG are fairly severe with serious crimes. This person could pontentially serve time in a Military Prison!!
    I would say the local NCIS field office would also be looking into this matter.

http://www.ncis.navy.mil/AboutNCIS/L...s/default.aspx
    Well, government doesn't stop just because the country's been destroyed! I mean, annihilation’s bad enough without anarchy to make things even worse!

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not so sure if this applies, the Shannon incursionists would dine out on that given that all international arreagements need a vote. If the alleged victim was a influential local no way would the matter be exported. It will be very expensive to get local witnesses over to the US esp as they cannot be compelled and this may render a trial unviable.
    Did you miss the part where it was said the victim was also a USN person, i.e no locals involved?

28. Likes ropebag liked this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmití View Post
    Did you miss the part where it was said the victim was also a USN person, i.e no locals involved?
    Yes I got it, hence the use of "If". The alleged event occurred here and would be amenable to local laws.

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I got it, hence the use of "If". The alleged event occurred here and would be amenable to local laws.
    Of course it would, and it has, and the US military have had absolutely no hesitation flying their people over to face justice in the past, regardless of the severity of the offence.
    So a bit of a moot point really.

Private 2*
    Post Thanks / Like
    Apologies if this is the wrong thread/forum: HMS Severn in Belfast Monday 19th June 2017.
    "Join the army....see the world....meet interesting people....then kill them!"
    "Join the navy....see the world....meet interesting people....get rotten crotch!"

Thread Information