No announcement yet.

Foreign Naval Visits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About the same dimensions as our old Sweepers .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• Originally posted by Laners View Post
      About the same dimensions as our old Sweepers .
      No, the sweepers were huge in comparison.
      Displacement: 440 tons
      Length: 152 ft (46 m)
      Beam: 28 ft (8.5 m)
      Draught: 8 ft (2.4 m)

Plus, you didn't have to worry about things like "compartments"

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Well I served on Banba and Grainne and I seem to remember my bunk space was in a compartment .
        Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• RV Belgica (A962) in Cork today. Belgian research vessel, crewed by the Belgian naval service.

RV Belgica (A962) by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

RV Belgica (A962) by Brian Clayton, on Flickr
          Irish Naval Service Photos

Comment

• Jaysus, is anti-rust or fresh paint not heard of in Belgium?

Comment

• L.E. Aoife should be joining Belgica on the Quay there later.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                L.E. Aoife should be joining Belgica on the Quay there later.
                moored at Horgan's Wharf earlier.

LE Aoife by Brian Clayton, on Flickr
                Irish Naval Service Photos

Comment

• Would you not be seriously embarassed to send that overseas in that condition ?!?

Comment

• Its a working ship. Not always easy to paint sides of the hull while at sea... Also, depends what they are doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tempest View Post
                      Would you not be seriously embarassed to send that overseas in that condition ?!?
                      Shes coming up on Marine Traffic as BNS Belgica and prev photos show her looking even tattier.

Comment

• Just home to DERRY for a short break and what has just tied up alongside promenade but 2 Dutch Navy Holland Class OPV! Apparently open to the public tomorrow. Very large, imposing well equipped ships but both currently without their Thales integrated mast. Oto Melara certainly have the weapons tied up with 76mm gun , Marlin 30mm [surprisingly large unit] and Hitrole 12.7mm. Visits are normally announced here in advance, ie Battle of the Atlantic commemorations, so wondering did they hit bad weather off Malin....will find out tomorrow. City is buzzing with the arrival of the Around the World Clipper Race. Pity none of the lads made it up from Cork.... been a while since Eithne and Roisin made the trip.
                        Sarsfield

Comment

• Originally posted by Sarsfield View Post
                          Just home to DERRY for a short break and what has just tied up alongside promenade but 2 Dutch Navy Holland Class OPV! Apparently open to the public tomorrow. Very large, imposing well equipped ships but both currently without their Thales integrated mast. Oto Melara certainly have the weapons tied up with 76mm gun , Marlin 30mm [surprisingly large unit] and Hitrole 12.7mm. Visits are normally announced here in advance, ie Battle of the Atlantic commemorations, so wondering did they hit bad weather off Malin....will find out tomorrow. City is buzzing with the arrival of the Around the World Clipper Race. Pity none of the lads made it up from Cork.... been a while since Eithne and Roisin made the trip.
                          Checked Frieslands track on AIS - http://www.shipais.com/shiptrail.php...&date=20120629

They came around the North coast of Scotland, then spent some time doing 'something' overnight off the County Antrim coast.

Looks like a planned visit?
                          'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

• Both Vessels as seen in Lough Foyle. I had presumed that they had a RIB bay p&s but it seems not. One rib bay to port and the other in the Garage aft. In this case on the helideck, which leads me to believe they may have had difficulty getting it back in the garage.
                            A fine ship though. Will be even better once the mast is fitted.

Irish Naval assets were busy last week of the South West coast on exercise. At least one is heading for Galway to the Volvo ocean Race.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post

Both Vessels as seen in Lough Foyle. I had presumed that they had a RIB bay p&s but it seems not. One rib bay to port and the other in the Garage aft. In this case on the helideck, which leads me to believe they may have had difficulty getting it back in the garage.
                              A fine ship though. Will be even better once the mast is fitted.

Irish Naval assets were busy last week of the South West coast on exercise. At least one is heading for Galway to the Volvo ocean Race.
                              They're training Cadets. Here til Monday.
                              Last edited by Craghopper; 30 June 2012, 18:51.

Comment

• They'll make nice posh yachts when they're decommissioned!

Comment

Working...
                                X