Thanks Thanks:  106
Likes Likes:  148
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    At least we have wheelie bins on our Naval Vessels!

But in fairness the 'gash bags' were hand for ARPs at sea as were the old type milk crates on a heaving line trailed in the wake of the ship.

Who remembers Gonzo putting his foot in the bight of a heaving line as it went over the stern and when it got caught in the wake it took about 5 guys to hold him from being dragged in after it..it was very close..but we managed to rescue the crate. Closest Gonzo ever came to having a wash I reckon.
    Last edited by hptmurphy; 22nd May 2009 at 23:20.
    Just visiting

Commander
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    At least we have wheelie bins on our Naval Vessels!

But in fairness the 'gash bags' were hand for ARPs at sea as were the old type milk crates on a heaving line trailed in the wake of the ship.

Who remembers Gonzo putting his foot in the bight of a heaving line as it went over the stern and when it got caught in the wake it took about 5 guys to hold him from being dragged in after it..it was very close..but we managed to rescue the crate. Closest Gonzo ever came to having a wash I reckon.
    french minesweeper cassiopee back in ireland - alongside sir john rogersons quay
    dublin - this ship loves ireland look at the history on this thread

Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    Russian destroyer to take part in drills with NATO warships

MOSCOW, June 10 (RIA Novosti) - The Severomorsk destroyer from Russia's Northern Fleet will participate in FRUKUS 2009 international naval exercises in the northern Atlantic on June 22-26, the fleet's press service said Wednesday.

The annual exercises traditionally involve France, Russia, the United Kingdom and the United States.

"The Severomorsk destroyer left the fleet's main base today and headed to the French coast to take part in the FRUKUS 2009 international naval exercises on June 22-26," the pres service said.

Severomorsk is an Udaloy-class missile destroyer armed with anti-ship missiles, 30-mm and 100-mm guns, and two Ka-27 Helix helicopters.

The French Tourville frigate, the U.S. Klakring missile frigate and the British York destroyer will also take part in the drills aimed to practice interoperability in anti-piracy operations in coastal waters.

Previously called RUKUS, the exercises were launched in 1988 as a vehicle for dialogue between the Soviet Union, Britain, and the United States. The exercise name was changed to FRUKUS in 2003, when France formally joined the group.

Following the drills, the Russian warship will pay friendly visits to the French port of Cherbourg and the Irish capital, Dublin.

http://en.rian.ru/mlitary_news/20090610/155220415.html

Post Thanks / Like
    A remain as a little lad a sub on the Dublin docks (I think it was a Russian).

Post Thanks / Like
    I doubt it was russian. Soviet subs only visited Commie Countries on courtesy visits, and since the fall of the Iron curtain, they have not been able to put to sea at all, until very recently(with notable, tragic exceptions). A Soviet destroyer visited cork in 84, followed by a US and Dutch Frigate.

However the training ship "Kashan" was a frequent enough visitor to these parts.Severomorsk will be a very interesting sight. The russians don't build warships like its done in the west..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    A remain as a little lad a sub on the Dublin docks (I think it was a Russian).
    Canadian I think is the one your thinking of, I can remember being onboard a Submarine in Dublin myself many moons ago....

Post Thanks / Like
    It was from Nova Scotia to be precise, I have a good reason for remembering. :wink:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pilatus View Post
    Following the drills, the Russian warship will pay friendly visits to the French port of Cherbourg and the Irish capital, Dublin.

Probably going there to congratulate Joe Higgins

Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boomer View Post
    Canadian I think is the one your thinking of, I can remember being onboard a Submarine in Dublin myself many moons ago....

There was a USN Sub in the basin in Dublin in the Sixties. and a French one in the 90s
    outside Kelly's on the southwall

Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im going to try and get access to the Russian ship for some pictures, even just on the deck.Is this even possible, do they allow civilians onboard for tours?

bosun
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im going to try and get access to the Russian ship for some pictures, even just on the deck.Is this even possible, do they allow civilians onboard for tours?
    very doubtful comrade

Post Thanks / Like
    I vish to take photos of the wessel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie fish View Post
    I vish to take photos of the wessel.
    Yes captain ....... says ensign Chekov ........

Last edited by Orion; 12th June 2009 at 22:33.

bosun
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Yes captain ....... says ensign Chekov ........

onyerbackyabitch is his sister

Commander
    Post Thanks / Like
    Argi tall ship 'libertad' back in dublin tomorow - south city quays foks for those with cameras nice looking ship

Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys.The excercise the Severomorsk is taking part in lasts until the 26th of june and she is to visit Cherbourg and then Dublin, but i cant seem to find out when exactly she is to dock in Dublin, i have been checking Dublinport's website but they have removed the naval ship option from the drop down section where you select the kind of vessel you are looking for so im unsure when she is in and the problem is i have to arrange someone to cover my shift at work so i can go have a look at her.Anyone know?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys.The excercise the Severomorsk is taking part in lasts until the 26th of june and she is to visit Cherbourg and then Dublin, but i cant seem to find out when exactly she is to dock in Dublin, i have been checking Dublinport's website but they have removed the naval ship option from the drop down section where you select the kind of vessel you are looking for so im unsure when she is in and the problem is i have to arrange someone to cover my shift at work so i can go have a look at her.Anyone know?
    Pilatus

That option only appears when there is a Naval Ship scheduled to dock etc hence it appearing to dissappear.

Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh right, thanks Boomer.

Private 3*
    Post Thanks / Like
    From the SeaWaves site..... TBA Jun 09 RFS Severomorsk 619 Cherbourg
    TBA Jun 09 RFS Severomorsk 619 Dublin
    http://www.seawaves.com/navcall.htm

Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Hornet!I'll keep an eye on that website!

Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    03/07/2009 10:00 SEVEROMORSK (RUSSIAN NAVY) Navy Vessel Ocean Pier 37

Hope im not breaching any rules by posting this as it is already in the public domain.

Post Thanks / Like
    03/07/2009 10:00 SEVEROMORSK (RUSSIAN NAVY) Navy Vessel Ocean Pier 37

Hope im not breaching any rules by posting this as it is already in the public domain.
    No Pilatus thats fine, but does anyone know which pier is Pier 37?

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually might try borrowing a powerboat and taking some pictures while she is sailing in, the tide is right will just have to see what the wind is like then.

Anyone else interested?

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually might try borrowing a powerboat
    Have you the required qualification to drive one?

Not as simple as it seems
    Just visiting

Post Thanks / Like
    Sadly, he has

Thread Information