No announcement yet.

Irish Naval Service foreign trips.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• at the end of the day FG be quit its going to happen . for such a small navy we get around

Comment

• Originally posted by zone 1 View Post
      at the end of the day FG be quit its going to happen . for such a small navy we get around
      well said any time our crews went anywhere we promoted ireland better by 100% than any tourist brochure can do by being good ambassadors in our own way

Comment

• If LE Niamh can be spared from home duties for up to 3 months, would it not be better to deploy her to work on something like anti-piracy work with the EU force off Somalia, rather than a diplomatic/trade cruise to South America?

Comment

• why not but i really cant see that happing just yet it would be a great way for the NS to work with other navy

Comment

• Originally posted by easyrider View Post
            If LE Niamh can be spared from home duties for up to 3 months, would it not be better to deploy her to work on something like anti-piracy work with the EU force off Somalia, rather than a diplomatic/trade cruise to South America?
            im sure that would need eu sanction and it would probably cost more with no financial returns.. but would be good experience in a different role

Comment

• there's too much involved for us i mean in a logistic way lads finding a base to work out of plus a crew down there and so on pity it would be a great experience for our navy to be involved in such a mission . NO lads fishery is the name of the game us

Comment

• It was discussed on Drivetime the other day. Skip to 2hrs 05mins.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• FG talking true there arse again first of all according to them we have a hospital ship in a previous debate and now we only have 2 patrol boats as they call them they need to sit down for a few minutes and do some research before they go shouting there mouths off .......

Comment

• They were talking about the customs boats, he added they were backed up by the Naval Service... but to those not familiar with the NS, it was easy to think he was talking about the Naval Service.

Comment

• Originally posted by zone 1 View Post
                      there's too much involved for us i mean in a logistic way lads finding a base to work out of plus a crew down there and so on pity it would be a great experience for our navy to be involved in such a mission . NO lads fishery is the name of the game us
                      Isn't Djibouti the logistics base for the EU ships? I think there are some Irish personnel already working in the Force HQ in Northwood in the UK.

The NS could probably do with having a supply ship though, a mobile base and support vessel.

Comment

• problems straight away supply and support vessels we would need some other navy to help us out there not a major problem can be done and yes true we do have personal in england

Comment

• I'd say its a politicial thing, rather than a logistic one. The South American trip is finite, whereas to continue in anti piracy patrols would require rotating ships and crew to theater indefinitely.

Comment

• I think you need helo capacity to do that job right. Our ships as currently armed, could certainly protect themselves against the likes of those guys, but protecting somebody else? Most interceptions mentioned in the piracy thread seem to involve use of the helo. And unfortunately, the NS don't do helos!

Comment

• the swedes are down there patrolling with ships without heli capacity they seem to be coping OK

Comment

• Speaking of supply ships, naval helicopters, and South America.... some good pics here:

Comment

Working...
                                X