new boots needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new boots needed.

I need to buy myself a new pair of boots for field work.

any ideas on good ones that are relatively cheap?

PTN: they MUST have a goretex lining and be from a QUALITY manufacturer.

I had a pair of meindl army pro's but they didnt do the job in the end, and recently bought a pair of BATES when I was in the states 2 years ago but lost them somewhere. They were the dogs b****x!!!

If anyone knows were I can get another pair of them I'd be eternally gratefull.

Has anyone bought boots from the states off EBAY and if so which ones, what are the shoe sizes compared to UK sizes and whats the delivery time like??
    Woo Hoo, finally moderated!!!!! In that select band of people who speak their mind instead of being sheep!

My meindl's are fine, so far, lets see how they hold up for a while
    Last edited by womble; 29 February 2008, 14:22.
    courage, endurance, mateship and sacrifice

Comment

I must say, having looked up all the mil. surplus sites in Eire Im extremely disappointed with their selection of boots. the only ones I seem to be able to find are the crap magnum ones and the meindl ones.

The only decent ones I can find so far are the meindl eagle boots in THE GREAT OUTDOORS for nearly 200 yoyo's.
      Last edited by spudula; 29 February 2008, 14:32.
      Woo Hoo, finally moderated!!!!! In that select band of people who speak their mind instead of being sheep!

Comment

Lowa
        What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ODIN View Post
          Lowa

Elaborate???????

Comment

Id rather not spend over 200 yoyo's on a pair of boots thank you.

Has anyone bought any on ebay from the states?? I really want to get another pair of BATES agin but am not too sure about the sizes.

They cost me $65 in 2006 and were FAR better then the meindls.

Comment

Before I bought my Lowa Mountain boots (which are the cats vagina btw) I had two pairs of magnums each pair lasted around 3 years before they started letting in water after being submerged. Magnum Storms in particular where great performers. Cheap enough too.
              "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

Originally posted by spudula View Post
                Id rather not spend over 200 yoyo's on a pair of boots thank you.

Has anyone bought any on ebay from the states?? I really want to get another pair of BATES agin but am not too sure about the sizes.

They cost me $65 in 2006 and were FAR better then the meindls.
                If you're not willing to invest the money, then you'll always get crap boots
                It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Not it you know were to look!!!!!!!

Like I said, the BATES boots cost me $65 which is equal to E42 and they were the best boots I've ever worn!

And I dont see how spending over E200 for a pair of boots i'll only wear once or twice a month can be seen as an investment.

If anyone has any helpfull comments or ideas, please let me know.

Thanks.

Comment

I've had a pair of Elite Symatex (fabric sided, like new issue but waterproof) boots for around 7/8 years. Same pair, they are only starting to come apart now:-

Waterproof
                    Lightweight
                    Good ankle support & cushioning but flexible (an advantage in my book - more comfortable)
                    Relatively cheap

Toes gets damaged easily (Cuts etc) but doesn't effect wearer
                    Can be cold to wear at night
                    Hard to clean fabric sides
                    Soles are designed for road use (not rough terrain)

Considering a new purchase.

Comment

Lowa combat gtx.Without doubt the top dog where goretex combat boots are concerned.
                      issued to the ARW,used by our anglo cousins in iraq and afganistan,and issued to the german army.
                      I have gone through three pirs in the last few years.(hard use at home and overseas)Third pair is still going strong.Swear by em.
                      Check out the qm's thread on arrse for more testimonials.
                      Lowas were actually trialled for general issue to the defence forces but haix won out as lowa was slightly more expensive.
                      Haix are excellent boot though also.So good i migh not buy Lowa again.Maybe???
                      meindls too heavy and too high(they compress your calf muscle if you are short in stature causing shin splints and other problems)
                      Good place to buy lowas is soldier of fortune in the U.K.reasonably priced and they wont screw you on the price of postage.Good service too.
                      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

I have my Lowa Combat GTX about 3 years now and they are fantastic. Not too heavy and well wearing
                        What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Thanks APOD,

I checked out S.o.F. and I think I might have found what I was looking for.

Seems to be some other interesting bits of kit (some might even say ALLY!!!) in there too!!!!!!! converted prices dont look too bad either. IRISH MILITARY SURPLUS SHOPS TAKE NOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Have to say Haix are a good boot and they are free . If you are not using them at least twice a month (most PDF units dont achive this) you wont get value for them when you compare them to the haixs. Even you have them for 3 years? I wore them doing the Munroe challenge. Don’t over look the obvious and maybe invest in some other ally gear such as buffalo or snugpax. Quality gear and noting issued compares with it

Comment

I have a pair of Haix, Meindl Amry Pro, Matherhorns, and the good old 24bs.

The most comfortable to stand in are the Meindls and Haix

The most comfortable to walk in are the 24bs (would be since their 8 years old and still going)

The most comfrotable to run on a road are either the 24bs or the matherhorns.

The most comfortable over rough terrain, running, crawling, wading through waist deep water are the Matherhorns.

Warm, soft, good grip and dry out quicker than the rest (bar the 24bs) after they get wet.
                              "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Working...
                              X