No announcement yet.

new boots needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haix (issue ones) haven't great ankle support. On rough terrain they tend to go over on their sides easily.
    Have to say i disagree.If they are laced correctly they have plenty of support.
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Thats why I prefer the MAtherhorns. The Meindls and Haix are too high and stiff around the calf. Also movement in the ankle is non-existant. It feels like wearing ski boots!
      "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
        Thats why I prefer the MAtherhorns. The Meindls and Haix are too high and stiff around the calf. Also movement in the ankle is non-existant. It feels like wearing ski boots!
        That's why i like my hanwags... all the ankle support to prevent strains and sprains (managed to start going over on my ankle but the boot stopped it twisting totally) yet tehy arent that high on the calf, in fact, they're lower on the calf than 24Bs....

24Bs are odd things really. My hanwags are size 4 (37) and fit me beautifully. My original issue of 24bs were size 5 and i got insoles for them... the insoles were almost a full inch too long for the boot (made by blackthorn). So the Q gave me preworn size 6 24bs that i didn't go near. I then got issued more size 5 24bs, which are longer than the preworn size 6 ones and a new set of size 5 insoles (not the ones i cut for my first issue :P) are miles too short for the boot.

Thing is, I'm only a size 4 in shoes yet the smaller of the boots iw as issued are miles too small and the larger are miles too big, yet supposedly they're both the same size.

anyone else found this???
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
        Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
        Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
        Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

get bigger feet.
          Woo Hoo, finally moderated!!!!! In that select band of people who speak their mind instead of being sheep!

Comment

The last issue boots I got were size 9-11. Marked as 9, with 11 in felt tip. they fit my size 10 feet perfectly.
            I wonder if I'll get issued boots in this decade/century?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

New British Boots Are Made for Walking
              03-Mar-2008 14:15 EST

Related Stories: Britain/U.K., Contracts - Awards, Other Corporation, Soldier's Gear

Meindl boots
              (click to enlarge)The dreaded Ankle-height ammunition (“ammo”) boots with nailed soles were worn by generations of British Army soldiers, and as recently as the 1982 Falklands War, British soldiers were still using puttees – strips of cloth wound round the leg above low boots. The BCH (Boot Combat High) became standard issue a few years after the Falklands war, bringing the UK into line with other NATO forces. Now the bar has been raised again to keep up with developments in other militaries and civilian industry – and lessen the shock of putting on those “hard leather squarebashers,” as Britain’s Ministry of Defence calls them. Colonel Silas Suchanek, leader of the Defence Clothing project team, said:

“We were looking for boots that would minimise the impact of working in temperatures that can go as high as 50 [degrees] centigrade, that would provide support to the foot when carrying heavy loads, and that could withstand the rigours of operating in conditions ranging from sandy desert to very abrasive stony ground.”

Fllowing trials in Autumn 2007 that tested 22 different brands, Britain will offer 4 new kinds of boot: For winter yomping, the Prabos cold wet weather boot has a stiffer sole and is the one generally used for operations. While the Iturri cold wet weather boot has a softer sole and will be more widely used for recruit training. In warmer climes, the Meindl and Lowa heavy-duty desert boots are designed to cope with the desert heat, provide more support, and offer easier “break in” than traditional hard leather footwear. The Lowa boot also has a womens’ model, which avoids the unisex problem of being too wide at the heel. The Meindl combat boot is already being issued to all troops who require it, and the Lowa boots will be available to all combat troops. The UK MOD hasn’t yet built up the same stocks, however, so priority will go to those in the dismounted combat role. UK MoD release.

Comment

Originally posted by johnny no stars View Post
                That's why i like my hanwags... all the ankle support to prevent strains and sprains (managed to start going over on my ankle but the boot stopped it twisting totally) yet tehy arent that high on the calf, in fact, they're lower on the calf than 24Bs....

I think they are too short, your trousers get pulled up your leg exposing the big white inne bit of the boot.

Thats why I sold mine to that guy we know

Comment

If ordering from outside of the Republic of Ireland, remember to ask and cost in the the total price for shipping and handling.

Sometimes "Cheap" new boots on ebay are way less than the hugh postage, shipping and handling charges, the seller wants to send the item airmail. And many cost in 5% extra to the total price to accept Pay-Pal.

Connaught Stranger.

Comment

Buy Lowa...

Yes they are at this stage paying me!!!
                    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

ODIN and Apod, how have the Lowa's been holding up for ya?

I'm currently looking at getting a new pair of boots for work, since the Haix although a decent boot doesn't seem to have very good ankle support. The Lowa's will most likely be my choice so just wanted to get an opinion on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post
                        ODIN and Apod, how have the Lowa's been holding up for ya?

I'm currently looking at getting a new pair of boots for work, since the Haix although a decent boot doesn't seem to have very good ankle support. The Lowa's will most likely be my choice so just wanted to get an opinion on them.
                        Cant speak for Odin but my Lowas are going great.Wore them doing the terrain walk recently.No dramas.Having siad that i have been wearing Lowas since 99 both at home and overseas.Great boots.
                        Trick is to keep em for use on the ground.Dont wear them for duties,c.i.t etc or around bks.Then they will last ages.
                        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Thanks for the info Apod.

Comment

I have Lowas. Have had them for 2 years.

Have looked after them (have the proper cleaning products) and always feel like I am putting on a new pair of boots (my old boots always looked worn and broken in). They don't look like they have been worn in but feel comfortable. Have had no probs with them. Have to be looked after though (like most Goretex boots).

Had Meindls. Really great boot but heavier and bigger than the lowas with no extra advantage.

Comment

im looking at investing in a pair of either GSG92 or Magnum spider boots as will be doing a good bit of running in boots over next while.
                              I tried to do 10k in a pair of Lowa Mountain GTX and my feet/calves where aching (fantastic boot, you can stomp down a mountain in them, but they are not designed for running in).
                              Any one have any experience of either boot?
                              "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

have no experience of either boot but i used have same problem with my mendel s any bit of running and my legs ached for days after i then replaced the insoles with sorbothane dual strike have not had the problem since most impact is reduced and your legs take much longer to tire , they are a bit on the chunky size however and make your boot smaller , worth a try for 20€
                                i use the single strike for my work boots and my 24bs and they transformed them from very poor boots to a very comfortable boot ,
                                "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

Working...
                                X