Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  36
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone recomend a lightest/comfortable possible boot for general light/barrack duty?

I'd normally wear my haix as they're so comfortable but they're also pretty damn big and heavy.

Would love a lightweight, snug pair of new boots for day to day things.

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    I dont think its an issue that insoles will fix (but sure I'll give it a try anyway) The main problem with current boots is the rigidity and the lack of flexibility in the soles. Not practical for a long run. Thats why I want to go for the GSG92's or the Magnum Spiders.
    I've heard nothing but good things from a few lads about the GSG92's. The Spiders on the other hand, my mate has a pair that he uses for Battle PT's and they went to shite on him.

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Komsomol View Post
    Anyone recomend a lightest/comfortable possible boot for general light/barrack duty?

I'd normally wear my haix as they're so comfortable but they're also pretty damn big and heavy.

Meindl Eagles are fairly comfy, did ya not get issued Magnums though?

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope, just the barrack boots from 4 years ago recruit camp and the sweet haix dolled out there last year for tactics/enemy camp. Christmas came early that year. Apparantly safety is only a concern when the budget is flexible enough Nobody really cared though as we all had our own personally bought boots. Its just as i said, i find the haix cumbersome and heavy alot of the time.

Thanks for the advice, i always just wore the normal issued barrack boots before that with insoles (24b's?). Always wanted a nice light comfortable pair of barrack boots, ya get tired of the hard leather after a while. Think ill just shine em up to high heavens and keep them for ceremonial duties.

Post Thanks / Like
    I find that the meindls are a great boot Untill you come across wet tarmac, concrete and varoous other surfaces that a soldier encounters, the grip is useless.
    Sir I cant find my peltors........Private they are on your face

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nope, just the barrack boots from 4 years ago recruit camp and the sweet haix dolled out there last year for tactics/enemy camp. Christmas came early that year. Apparantly safety is only a concern when the budget is flexible enough Nobody really cared though as we all had our own personally bought boots. Its just as i said, i find the haix cumbersome and heavy alot of the time.

Thanks for the advice, i always just wore the normal issued barrack boots before that with insoles (24b's?). Always wanted a nice light comfortable pair of barrack boots, ya get tired of the hard leather after a while. Think ill just shine em up to high heavens and keep them for ceremonial duties.
    Ah I see. You should be able to find a cheap enough pair of Magnums to buy just for when you're floating around the barracks. Personally I hate them but most people like them.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is it about them you hate Alaska?

Not sure i'd want to spend money on a pair of magnums when theres a chance i'd finally be issued with them also to be honest. Might as well take my chances on another model and see what happens. Just need something as light and comfortable as possible. Gonna head out shopping soon for the janurary sales and see what i can get.

Commander in Chief RoyalGreenJacket's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    any pics of your parade boots then RGJ?
    you've seen my parade boots now.

ive seen lots of patent leather boots polished. looks far better. much better shine
    and i can't see how you would get a better shine on mine if you polished them!

it would only dull them if anything.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
    they indeed are a private purchase, i think i got them for about £70 as the battalion ordered about a 100 pairs of them.
    although nowadays when you are promoted to Sergeant you are given £455 to buy your Mess Dress and boots.

Also, which "light operational boot" do the BA use?
    we use the standard 'Combat Assault Boots' in Temperate environments:

but black Magnums are issued in warmer climates:

and Kevlar plated Jungle Boots are also on issue for when we go to Africa etc:

most of the boots on issue now for 'patrolling' are the Meindl Desert Fox's:

obviously we have a range of winter boots too.

the only ones above that i've ever seen bulled are the standard issue Combat Assault Boots - the extra pair that never venture far off the parade square!
    Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 6th July 2010 at 20:28.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Custom User Title
    Post Thanks / Like
    What do you think of the mendle fox? I had the Army Pro for about nine years..Got three deployments and a sniper cse out of them before the fell to bits.. Not great on slippery surfaces like wet rocks.

Post Thanks / Like
    i've never had the Desert Fox's - but i have a pair waiting for me in Colchester so i'll let you know when i get them!

we were issued Desert Magnums when I was in Iraq and they were excellent to be honest but Afghanistan is a much harsher environment than we experienced in Baghdad.

as for the Meindl Army Pro - i can't say i know anyone who had a pair of these - our lads tend to go for the Lowa's, Altbergs or HanWags but i can only assume Meindl Army Pro are a great boot too as anything they make seems top notch and i'm sure they served you well Crag, even if you did slip on the rocks!

but Edmunds Magnums are a good boot - i just wouldn't dream of 'highly polishing' them!
    RGJ

The Rifles

Flanders Pidgeon Murderer Captain Edmund Blackadder's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    And I didn't either, til the platoon sergeant, platoon commander, C/S and acting Sgt. Major started telling us otherwise. I wasn't going to argue. Fantastic boots though. Needed no breaking in bar the 3 hours I wore them around the house the day before to get used to the feel of them. No sweaty feet either. Just on the topic of boots, any one here have a pair of Haix boots? Some guys got those. The seem to weigh twice what the Magnum does. I'd say they aren't the nicest to march in.
    Last edited by Captain Edmund Blackadder; 6th July 2010 at 22:27.
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Edmund Blackadder View Post
    And I didn't either, til the platoon sergeant, platoon commander, C/S and acting Sgt. Major started telling us otherwise. I wasn't going to argue. Fantastic boots though. Needed no breaking in bar the 3 hours I wore them around the house the day before to get used to the feel of them. No sweaty feet either. Just on the topic of boots, any one here have a pair of Haix boots? Some guys got those. The seem to weigh twice what the Magnum does. I'd say they aren't the nicest to march in.
    I don't own a pair of the Haix's but i have had a good look at them because my friend had them. They seem like a good boot to use during the winter because their heavily insulated and are goretex lined and completely waterproof. All that padding as well makes them very comfortable.

But i'd say a less insulated, lighter, but still waterproof boot would be better during the summer in my opinion. Even with the light boots i have now my feet roast in the hot weather.

I was looking at getting a pair of waterproof Magnum Stealth Force 8.0's:

Has anyone tried these? Their the newest boot from magnum and their roughly €100-ish per pair.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ahh, the days of the black leather boot. Of course we've gone to the suede boot, so since about 2005, Soldiers who joined the Army don't even know what polishing boots means. Our shoes for the dress uniform are patent leather, so a gentle rub with a duster as RGJ mentions and you're done. I like the practicality of the suede boot, though they do hold stains. Sweat & mud won't brush out and oil....forget it.

Despite the practicalities of the new uniform, I do miss the days of a brilliantly spitshined pair of boots when combined with a crisp, starched set of BDU's. I suppose because I can now say "Back when we had to polish our boots....." I'm officially an "old guy. Great!!

A

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by amurph0 View Post
    Has anyone tried these? Their the newest boot from magnum and their roughly €100-ish per pair.
    Not those exact ones but similar. Excellent boot and just what I look for - lightweight, good support, waterproof.

Shop around if looking at Magnums - got mine from http://www.magnumfootwear.co.uk/en/home, worked out cheaper even with postage.

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, I'd recommend Lowa Super Camps to anyone looking to invest in their own boots:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftandSure View Post
    Personally, I'd recommend Lowa Super Camps to anyone looking to invest in their own boots
    Yeah but those again are like the Haix's. A big heavy winter boot. Their not really ideal for the summer.

Post Thanks / Like
    AFAIK LOWA super camps are non goretex.Which means your feet wont over heat in hot weather and they are quicker to dry if totally immersed in water.I use the LOWA combat GTX as my Tac boot but i must admit with the Goretex lining they can be a little warm during hot weather.A good coolmax sock sorts that though.
    The modern Irish soldier is better educated,trained and equipped then any any other generation that has gone before.

"Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Correct, they're non goretex and do dry out that bit quicker. Coupled with the sealskin socks is my personal preference. I've had no problems wearing them in the summer months myself, but to be fair, it's not as though they get the proper use that they're built for courtesy of reduced mandays.

Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A slight thread resurrection but does anyone know where HAIX/LOWA is sold in Dublin ( i.e. go an try them on ? )
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Post Thanks / Like

i recommend these mate - Altberg Sneeker:

www.altberg.co.uk/sneeker

great for tabbing, urban ops or general barrack use.

i doubt you will find a lighter more comfortable boot.
    Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 19th November 2010 at 02:28.
    RGJ

The Rifles

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post

great for tabbing, urban ops or general barrack use.

i doubt you will find a lighter more comfortable boot.
    Tabbing?

or

Post Thanks / Like
    or tabbing....

www.urbandictionary.com/tab

i dunno what you lot do, but we TAB - a lot!

anyhow - the Altberg Sneekers are good for it
    Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 20th November 2010 at 06:06.
    RGJ

The Rifles

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, Like a Yomp?

Post Thanks / Like
    Marines yomp
    Soldiers tab
    Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier - Samuel Johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    What we call it depends on the unit.Some here call it tabbing others marching.But marching IMHO is something you do on the drill square not the body breaking foot aching
    murder that is tabbing.
    The modern Irish soldier is better educated,trained and equipped then any any other generation that has gone before.

"Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

Thread Information