Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  36
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gotta love dem hot spots
    Last edited by knocker; 20th November 2010 at 14:36.
    Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier - Samuel Johnson

Private 2*
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all, sorry about posting in an old threat but I'm not allowed to post a new thread yet as I'm a newbie to the site.
    Anyway, long story short I'm going on a PNCO's Cse in August and I was thinking of getting a pair of boots for the combat runs.( last course there was more combat runs than regular PT).
    Has anyone seen any good deals lately on a good boot that would be suitable for combat runs?

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    adidas gsg are good and light for running
    is it a pdf nco,s course? wil you be allowed wear the boots??

Private 2*
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah its a PDF PNCO's Course and we are allowed wear them for combat runs as long as they are black and look like army boots and not civi boots/and different colours etc

Post Thanks / Like
    Well broken in Issue magnums with good socks(Issue jungle/trekking socks or bridgedales)Boots will get thrashed on Battle PT and get good soakings from time to time(Enjoy the glen ) Why spend good money on a pair of battle PT boots?If you are mad to invest get a good pair of field boots instead.My preference in Lowa combat Gtx's.
    The modern Irish soldier is better educated,trained and equipped then any any other generation that has gone before.

"Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

6. Likes Tango_Charlie liked this post
    Private 2*
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've used the magnums a few times for runs, battle PT etc and personally dont find them great, suppose I could try them again with better in-soles than the one's that come with them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Light,dry out reasonably fast and most important free!!!Lace em up properly and wear good socks as said.I wore them for all the battle runs and some of the day navs on the Standard course.
    The modern Irish soldier is better educated,trained and equipped then any any other generation that has gone before.

"Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    Light,dry out reasonably fast and most important free!!!Lace em up properly and wear good socks as said.I wore them for all the battle runs and some of the day navs on the Standard course.
    Not to knock them as a 'running' boot, but did you find any issues with ankle support while moving loaded?
    "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Post Thanks / Like
    When doing battle pT's and combat runs you should try not to exceed 30-35 pounds in CEFO(Vest/patrol pack).That would be our benchmark.So personally they never bothered me as that's a light enough load.When wearing CEMO you need the extra support that Field boots such as haix/lowa/meindl/hanwag etc provide.Even if doing an IT part 3 the load in the CEMO bergen is relatively light so you could get away with Magnums if on level enough ground.Some units do their part three in camp others take to the hills.Horses for courses.
    PS;Part three is due to change in the near future.CEMO is out the window.Vest and patrol pack is in.

11. Thanks Come-quickly thanked for this post
    Likes Fridge Magnet liked this post
    Private 2*
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is the part 3 going to be a 3.2km timed run with riffle, helmet, battle vest and day sack?

BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    PS;Part three is due to change in the near future.CEMO is out the window.Vest and patrol pack is in.
    Thank ****. The current Part 3 is a joke.

BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    As for boots, Adidas GSG9's are pretty good for PT's and what not. As an alternative, the AKU Navy SEAL boot is supposedly pretty good too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well broken in Issue magnums with good socks(Issue jungle/trekking socks or bridgedales)Boots will get thrashed on Battle PT and get good soakings from time to time(Enjoy the glen ) Why spend good money on a pair of battle PT boots?If you are mad to invest get a good pair of field boots instead.My preference in Lowa combat Gtx's.
    Took the words right out of my mouth Apod. The issued magnum are a fantastic boot for running in once they are properly broken in. Anything else is a waste of money in my opinion when it comes to a boot for running/battle PT's when these boots are free.

Post Thanks / Like
    The main advantage being that they are light

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Given that they are now all steel toe cap, I wouldn't run in them.

Any time I wore them for anything like that my feet were destroyed no matter what socks I wore

18. Likes northie, Fridge Magnet liked this post
    Non Temetis Messor The real Jack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Admittedly I haven't seen any new non steel toecapped magnums recently I had hoped it was a rumour...it's true?
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The real Jack View Post
    Admittedly I haven't seen any new non steel toecapped magnums recently I had hoped it was a rumour...it's true?
    As far as I know, what Midnight Oil said is true.

Steel toe capped Magnums are what's on issue now. Along with steel toe capped Haix. Sure, who wouldn't want to do PT's and head out on the ground in steel toe capped boots?
    Last edited by Fridge Magnet; 23rd July 2013 at 16:03.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to put that rumour to bed right away.The two steel toe capped Op and light Op boots previously only on issue to Arty/Engrs(haix and magnum) and the normal Op and light Op boots have all been replaced with "Composite toe"(kevlar) variants of the magnum and haix.Why buy four different boots when two will do?On issue to all arms.Their is no major weight difference between the old magnums and the new ones.My current magnums are C.T and they are grand.Better for public order ops in warm climates also.

BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Haix on issue now, as in the Arty/Engineers style, are absolute ****ing clogs and Magnums are **** all use, "composite toe" or not.

We no longer have a pair of boots on issue remotely suitable for the ground. So soldiers who value their feet will once again have to shell out money to pick up the slack.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Haix on issue now, as in the Arty/Engineers style, are absolute ****ing clogs and Magnums are **** all use, "composite toe" or not.
    Gotta disagree.Yes the new Haix are a bit more bulky but to say the magnums are F'all use is wrong.If you are on a P.O Pln overseas in warm weather where you must wear black boots that's where they would come into their own.Back in KFOR on my summer trip before the magnums went on issue lads used to buy soft toe magnums to wear doing P.O Ops.The alternative was to wear the old matterhorns or the newer Haix and cook your feet.The advantage was cooler feet but the toe cap was unsuited to P.O.

BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gotta disagree.Yes the new Haix are a bit more bulky but to say the magnums are F'all use is wrong.If you are on a P.O Pln overseas in warm weather where you must wear black boots that's where they would come into their own.Back in KFOR on my summer trip before the magnums went on issue lads used to buy soft toe magnums to wear doing P.O Ops.The alternative was to wear the old matterhorns or the newer Haix and cook your feet.The advantage was cooler feet but the toe cap was unsuited to P.O.
    So what happens when you do anything other than Public Order training? You're not gonna take to the hills in a pair of Magnums. It'd be a brave soul who'd head out on the ground during winter with a pair of Magnums.

The DF doesn't issue remotely suitable boots for use out on the ground. It's grand though cause don't the 2 boots on issue now save the DF money? It's ridiculous.

Private 2*
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kermit View Post
    You can't beat Magnum Elite Spiders for running. They're like runners, and weigh sweet **** all.
    How much are they ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fridge Magnet View Post
    So what happens when you do anything other than Public Order training? You're not gonna take to the hills in a pair of Magnums. It'd be a brave soul who'd head out on the ground during winter with a pair of Magnums.

The DF doesn't issue remotely suitable boots for use out on the ground. It's grand though cause don't the 2 boots on issue now save the DF money? It's ridiculous.
    I would not do it.Prefer my Lowas,even when the ordinary Haix was on issue.Not becasuse it was a bad boot.Just had a bad lacing system.A wing head on my standard course used magnums on the ground and ours was a winter course.He said he preferred how quick they dried out and used goretex socks to keep his feet dry when we would bivvy up.It can be done.I wouldn't recommend using them with large loads in CEMO though.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe the new gucci boot is the AKU, a whole generation of guys who joined the British/Canadian military at a time when the Meindl/Lowa was king have been obsessing over lightweight boots.

Anyone remember when the ankle+ meindl was popular in the late 90s/early 2000s?
    "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep. My HAIX are worn out now so I'm contemplating a replacement plus I need something besides my 24bs ( never got Magnums ) . I did the Lug walk in trail runners and TBH they were perfect so lightweights look like the thing.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Thread Information