No announcement yet.

new boots needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And I didn't either, til the platoon sergeant, platoon commander, C/S and acting Sgt. Major started telling us otherwise. I wasn't going to argue. Fantastic boots though. Needed no breaking in bar the 3 hours I wore them around the house the day before to get used to the feel of them. No sweaty feet either. Just on the topic of boots, any one here have a pair of Haix boots? Some guys got those. The seem to weigh twice what the Magnum does. I'd say they aren't the nicest to march in.
    Last edited by Captain Edmund Blackadder; 6 July 2010, 23:27.
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Edmund Blackadder View Post
      And I didn't either, til the platoon sergeant, platoon commander, C/S and acting Sgt. Major started telling us otherwise. I wasn't going to argue. Fantastic boots though. Needed no breaking in bar the 3 hours I wore them around the house the day before to get used to the feel of them. No sweaty feet either. Just on the topic of boots, any one here have a pair of Haix boots? Some guys got those. The seem to weigh twice what the Magnum does. I'd say they aren't the nicest to march in.
      I don't own a pair of the Haix's but i have had a good look at them because my friend had them. They seem like a good boot to use during the winter because their heavily insulated and are goretex lined and completely waterproof. All that padding as well makes them very comfortable.

But i'd say a less insulated, lighter, but still waterproof boot would be better during the summer in my opinion. Even with the light boots i have now my feet roast in the hot weather.

I was looking at getting a pair of waterproof Magnum Stealth Force 8.0's:

Has anyone tried these? Their the newest boot from magnum and their roughly €100-ish per pair.

Comment

Ahh, the days of the black leather boot. Of course we've gone to the suede boot, so since about 2005, Soldiers who joined the Army don't even know what polishing boots means. Our shoes for the dress uniform are patent leather, so a gentle rub with a duster as RGJ mentions and you're done. I like the practicality of the suede boot, though they do hold stains. Sweat & mud won't brush out and oil....forget it.

Despite the practicalities of the new uniform, I do miss the days of a brilliantly spitshined pair of boots when combined with a crisp, starched set of BDU's. I suppose because I can now say "Back when we had to polish our boots....." I'm officially an "old guy. Great!!

A

Comment

Originally posted by amurph0 View Post
          Has anyone tried these? Their the newest boot from magnum and their roughly €100-ish per pair.
          Not those exact ones but similar. Excellent boot and just what I look for - lightweight, good support, waterproof.

Shop around if looking at Magnums - got mine from http://www.magnumfootwear.co.uk/en/home, worked out cheaper even with postage.

Comment

Personally, I'd recommend Lowa Super Camps to anyone looking to invest in their own boots:

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
              Personally, I'd recommend Lowa Super Camps to anyone looking to invest in their own boots
              Yeah but those again are like the Haix's. A big heavy winter boot. Their not really ideal for the summer.

Comment

AFAIK LOWA super camps are non goretex.Which means your feet wont over heat in hot weather and they are quicker to dry if totally immersed in water.I use the LOWA combat GTX as my Tac boot but i must admit with the Goretex lining they can be a little warm during hot weather.A good coolmax sock sorts that though.
                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Correct, they're non goretex and do dry out that bit quicker. Coupled with the sealskin socks is my personal preference. I've had no problems wearing them in the summer months myself, but to be fair, it's not as though they get the proper use that they're built for courtesy of reduced mandays.

Comment

A slight thread resurrection but does anyone know where HAIX/LOWA is sold in Dublin ( i.e. go an try them on ? )
                    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by Komsomol View Post
                      Anyone recomend a lightest/comfortable possible boot for general light/barrack duty?

I'd normally wear my haix as they're so comfortable but they're also pretty damn big and heavy.

Would love a lightweight, snug pair of new boots for day to day things.
                      i recommend these mate - Altberg Sneeker:

www.altberg.co.uk/sneeker

great for tabbing, urban ops or general barrack use.

i doubt you will find a lighter more comfortable boot.
                      Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 19 November 2010, 03:28.
                      RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post

great for tabbing, urban ops or general barrack use.

i doubt you will find a lighter more comfortable boot.
                        Tabbing?

or

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

or tabbing....

www.urbandictionary.com/tab

i dunno what you lot do, but we TAB - a lot!

anyhow - the Altberg Sneekers are good for it
                          Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 20 November 2010, 07:06.
                          RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Oh, Like a Yomp?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Marines yomp
                              Soldiers tab
                              Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier - Samuel Johnson

Comment

What we call it depends on the unit.Some here call it tabbing others marching.But marching IMHO is something you do on the drill square not the body breaking foot aching
                                murder that is tabbing.
                                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Working...
                                X