Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
        Thanks Rosser
        the other name for him is GOD///// as if your name sticks to his tounge life can be a lot of guard of honours...the most reason that seamans/executive branch are called girraffes is they have long hard necks

Comment

So back to my earlier question, what firefighting assets have the NS on site?

Comment

Originally posted by yellowjacket View Post
            I don't know about the NS, but quite a few of the plants in Ringaskiddy have their own tenders and part-times crews that operate on a cooperative basis.
            Last edited by Victor; 14 March 2008, 18:33.
            Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

In a way that's a bit odd, given the risk profile of the site, and the fact that virtually all staff have a fair bit of the training done already - presume it's more an unwillingness to tie up extra personnel as a fire crew?

Was a working fire alarm system present?

Comment

Originally posted by yellowjacket View Post
                Well this is some of what they did have, without giving away too much of what the fire fighting structure is. But in my opinion it would be more than satisfactory.
                Attached Files

Comment

I assume its the same level of fire prevention that exists on any military facility, with the added bonus that the Majority of the Naval service have a higher level of firefighting training than the average soldier.

However, given the Fuel storage, I am surprised there is not a higher intensity. The size of th eFacility including th ebasin to me would necessitate even the most basic of fire appliance. Novartis nearby has a full fire service.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                    I assume its the same level of fire prevention that exists on any military facility, with the added bonus that the Majority of the Naval service have a higher level of firefighting training than the average soldier.

However, given the Fuel storage, I am surprised there is not a higher intensity. The size of th eFacility including th ebasin to me would necessitate even the most basic of fire appliance. Novartis nearby has a full fire service.
                    There is, (or was) a fire depot at the oil facility at Haulbowline which is fully equiped. As all the Naval personel are trained in fire fighting, any one in the vacinity can operate the equipment. The base has its own depot as does the basin. The base is never unmaned, so the requirement for a full time fire crew is unnecesary. Bear in mind that the nearest 'fuel tank' only contained water at one time for Irish Steel, and when I last saw it ,it was empty.

Oh crap! I just looked out of the window, that water tank has been dismantled!
                    Last edited by Test Pilot; 15 March 2008, 12:01.

Comment

How are things in Wyther Park Cresent yellowjacket?
                      Really must update my profile..

Comment

Originally posted by Test Pilot View Post

Oh crap! I just looked out of the window, that water tank has been dismantled!
                        Those tanks are only gone a year or two....However the fuel storage issue is still worth mentioning.

Comment

I am told that Limestone degrades with intense heat. How would this affect the structural integrity, given the speed the fire ripped through?

Comment

They were spraying it with water this morning. It looks fairly gutted on the top floors, though
                            I'm told that some of the equipment in the CMRC section survived.
                            I hope the building can be saved.
                            Attached Files
                            Irish Naval Service Photos

Comment

Good question. It burned fast but also very hot I imagine. I can't think the navy will leave the block to run to ruin like the one in the steel that burned. Shame that all the archive material like photos, old instruments and log books were lost.

Comment

The Block is too much of a Historic Landmark to be let derelict, particularly when there are plans in place to Upgrade Block 9. With the Building trade in decline, it would be a nice project to keep some contracter in the black for a few years.

Comment

Working...
                                X