Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Corporal
    Post Thanks / Like

Joining the PDF (Advice etc)

Hey,

Recently I've just finished passing the medicals, interview, and fitness test to get into the PDF. From what I've heard we'll begin training in the middle of May.

I spent only about 2 years in the reserve. I really loved it, and have fond memories of the camps I went on, and the people I got to know. (I was on last years summer recruit camp) But unfortunately I've grown a bit rusty since then.

I started looking over a few of my old notes, and obviously I've been out training everyday for a couple of months now to try and keep my fitness up (2 blisters so far).

I thought I'd come on here and ask yknow "What would you guys say to a recruit going into PDF training in a couple of weeks?"

Any advice is helpful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have a look in the recruit depot forum. Its in General.

Post Thanks / Like
    5 words.

"Good luck and have fun".
    It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Post Thanks / Like
    As was said to me many years ago..two basic rules in the DF..keep your nose and your boots clean!
    Just visiting

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thomashood10 View Post
    I thought I'd come on here and ask yknow "What would you guys say to a recruit going into PDF training in a couple of weeks?"
    HAHAHAHAHAHA
    To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Post Thanks / Like
    Go for it lad enjoy.

And it wont last forever.
    Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something.

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    It can be hard sometimes but keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut. If you follow that you won't go too far wrong.

Put 100%+ in at all times into everything. If you feel a little discomfort don't assume you're on your last legs and go sick. You'll see the same people going LD / ED again and again and again for the smallest of things and it is frowned upon big time.

Remember what you learned during your time in the Reserve but don't act like you know everything.

Savour your time off in barracks and the odd weekend you get home.

It sounds like you're fairly fit which is great when starting as that will help you get on with the lack of sleep and make PT easy. Help your buddies and don't Me Fein though you may feel like doing it sometimes. Try and help the weaker ones and if you see any struggling or getting a hard time be there for them. Inject enthuasiasm wherever you can.

Remember it's only 7 months which is not long.
    Last edited by cooley; 24th April 2008 at 21:56.

Post Thanks / Like
    Remeber it's only 7 months which is not long.
    where did you do recruit training.....? FAS?
    Just visiting

Post Thanks / Like
    A very interesting Documentary from RTE Radio 1, caused quite a stir at the time.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/recruits.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie fish View Post
    A very interesting Documentary from RTE Radio 1, caused quite a stir at the time.

Thanks for posting that Goldie, been looking for that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Souds like recruits has never changed..a bit of suffering is good for the soul..wonder how many of these guys passed out..follow on programme programme perhaps. Nice to see the f word hasn't been removed from the syallbus.
    Just visiting

Corporal
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heheh, forgot about all this.

Yep in the end I did pass out as a 2 star btw with the 82nd platoon.

Unforunately I left about a month after I passed out for reasons I don't want to get into.

If you're interested to know how many of us made it, I know it was a very low amount, but you probably know that's fairly common. I think in my platoon we started with 48 or so and passed out with 17, I think 14 were left, barely standing after the week in the glen. A lot of lads dropped out for various reasons. Some of it was family, the money, they just didn't like it or couldn't cope with it. And ofcourse as any PDF member here knows, there's a lot of politics that goes on inside the platoon, some people were let go because of this. I know after I left 2 more lads followed with me, one for personal reasons, the other I'm not gonna say. One of my mates from the RDF made it to 3 star, sent me some pictures of the parade, I didn't count all the lads there. A few missing faces, but I think around 14 passed out. As I said I'm just giving rough estimates.

I believe we were the second last platoon to be trained up. There was one other fresh platoon that came in the week we were passing out. According to our corporals and general word we were the last recruit platoon to do scratch in the glen. I'd love to know if that's actually true, I can't understand why they'd remove it. Although I had my bad times, I really loved scratch, and the glen.

I'll never forget that bloody backpack, heavy s.o.b that always leaned to one side no matter how much you yanked on those straps.
    'Sciathán Fianóglach an Airm'

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thomashood10 View Post
    Heheh, forgot about all this.

Yep in the end I did pass out as a 2 star btw with the 82nd platoon.

Unforunately I left about a month after I passed out for reasons I don't want to get into.

If you're interested to know how many of us made it, I know it was a very low amount, but you probably know that's fairly common. I think in my platoon we started with 48 or so and passed out with 17, I think 14 were left, barely standing after the week in the glen. A lot of lads dropped out for various reasons. Some of it was family, the money, they just didn't like it or couldn't cope with it. And ofcourse as any PDF member here knows, there's a lot of politics that goes on inside the platoon, some people were let go because of this. I know after I left 2 more lads followed with me, one for personal reasons, the other I'm not gonna say. One of my mates from the RDF made it to 3 star, sent me some pictures of the parade, I didn't count all the lads there. A few missing faces, but I think around 14 passed out. As I said I'm just giving rough estimates.

I believe we were the second last platoon to be trained up. There was one other fresh platoon that came in the week we were passing out. According to our corporals and general word we were the last recruit platoon to do scratch in the glen. I'd love to know if that's actually true, I can't understand why they'd remove it. Although I had my bad times, I really loved scratch, and the glen.

I'll never forget that bloody backpack, heavy s.o.b that always leaned to one side no matter how much you yanked on those straps.
    14 from 48 - that's over a 66% dropout rate - getting more like the Wing by
    the day !!!
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Post Thanks / Like
    They still do scartch, its just not called that.
    Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Post Thanks / Like
    Scratch is the like Delta in the US, we all know its there, it just doesnt officially exist

Post Thanks / Like
    Scratch is still there.It is still called scratch.Dont believe me look up the syllabus of training for the PDF Pots course.It will continue to be there.:wink:
    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie fish View Post

When was that first aired?
    Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 82nd weren't the last platoon to do scratch.

It's still there and as Apod said it's still called scratch.

lt general
    Dublin Ireland an anywhere else i can get too
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cooley View Post
    It can be hard sometimes but keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut. If you follow that you won't go too far wrong.

Put 100%+ in at all times into everything. If you feel a little discomfort don't assume you're on your last legs and go sick. You'll see the same people going LD / ED again and again and again for the smallest of things and it is frowned upon big time.

Remember what you learned during your time in the Reserve but don't act like you know everything.

Savour your time off in barracks and the odd weekend you get home.

It sounds like you're fairly fit which is great when starting as that will help you get on with the lack of sleep and make PT easy. Help your buddies and don't Me Fein though you may feel like doing it sometimes. Try and help the weaker ones and if you see any struggling or getting a hard time be there for them. Inject enthuasiasm wherever you can.

Remember it's only 7 months which is not long.
    never heard of recruit training lasting 7 months where were you in the marines

What good is in youth when it's ageing what joy are in eyes that cant see when there's sorrow in sunshine and flowers and only our rivers run free.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by seven.sixtwo View Post
    He means until your fully trained as a 3star. It's 28 weeks training altogether to go from recruit to 3star Private, which is 7 months.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would it be right to say that recruit-2tar training is the equivalent of Phase 1 training, and 2star-3star would be the equivalent of Phase 2 training in the British Army?
    Last edited by spaceghetti; 9th December 2009 at 16:59.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by amurph0 View Post
    Would it be right to say that recruit-2tar training is the equivalent of Phase 1 training, and 2star-3star would be the equivalent of Phase 2 training in the British Army?
    There is a difference, all Irish soldiers do the equivalent of the British Army's Combat Infantryman Course (CIC) which is 26 weeks long. In the UK only infantrymen do this, others do a shorter course followed by trade training (phase 2).

An Irish private does 28 weeks training (followed by more if in a corps unit).

A British Army Gunner for the 105 does - Basic 20 wks plus 12 wks training to be a gunner

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by seven.sixtwo View Post
    16 weeks going from Recruit to 2 Star.

12 weeks going from 2 to 3 Star Private.

All in all it's 28 weeks which is of course, 7 months.

ARW09
    Is the training tough for the 28 week period?? and is there any recruitment for next year has anyone heard??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARW09 View Post
    Is the training tough for the 28 week period?? and is there any recruitment for next year has anyone heard??
    At the moment the date for recruitment to restart is sill the 1st of January 2011.

Willie O'Dea is in talks with the Minister of Finance to try and get it back on earlier, but nothing has come of that yet.

Other then that there's no news on it.

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hello Alaska View Post
    It's still there and as Apod said it's still called scratch.
    Its just called "Exercise Scratch" now.

Thread Information