Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining the PDF (Advice etc)

Hey,

Recently I've just finished passing the medicals, interview, and fitness test to get into the PDF. From what I've heard we'll begin training in the middle of May.

I spent only about 2 years in the reserve. I really loved it, and have fond memories of the camps I went on, and the people I got to know. (I was on last years summer recruit camp) But unfortunately I've grown a bit rusty since then.

I started looking over a few of my old notes, and obviously I've been out training everyday for a couple of months now to try and keep my fitness up (2 blisters so far).

I thought I'd come on here and ask yknow "What would you guys say to a recruit going into PDF training in a couple of weeks?"

Any advice is helpful.
    'Sciathán Fianóglach an Airm'

Have a look in the recruit depot forum. Its in General.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

5 words.

"Good luck and have fun".
      It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

As was said to me many years ago..two basic rules in the DF..keep your nose and your boots clean!
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by thomashood10 View Post
          I thought I'd come on here and ask yknow "What would you guys say to a recruit going into PDF training in a couple of weeks?"
          HAHAHAHAHAHA
          To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Go for it lad enjoy.

And it wont last forever.
            Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something.sigpic

Comment

It can be hard sometimes but keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut. If you follow that you won't go too far wrong.

Put 100%+ in at all times into everything. If you feel a little discomfort don't assume you're on your last legs and go sick. You'll see the same people going LD / ED again and again and again for the smallest of things and it is frowned upon big time.

Remember what you learned during your time in the Reserve but don't act like you know everything.

Savour your time off in barracks and the odd weekend you get home.

It sounds like you're fairly fit which is great when starting as that will help you get on with the lack of sleep and make PT easy. Help your buddies and don't Me Fein though you may feel like doing it sometimes. Try and help the weaker ones and if you see any struggling or getting a hard time be there for them. Inject enthuasiasm wherever you can.

Remember it's only 7 months which is not long.
              Last edited by cooley; 24 April 2008, 22:56.

Comment

Remeber it's only 7 months which is not long.
                where did you do recruit training.....? FAS?
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

A very interesting Documentary from RTE Radio 1, caused quite a stir at the time.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                    A very interesting Documentary from RTE Radio 1, caused quite a stir at the time.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/recruits.html
                    Thanks for posting that Goldie, been looking for that.

Comment

Souds like recruits has never changed..a bit of suffering is good for the soul..wonder how many of these guys passed out..follow on programme programme perhaps. Nice to see the f word hasn't been removed from the syallbus.

Comment

Heheh, forgot about all this.

Yep in the end I did pass out as a 2 star btw with the 82nd platoon.

Unforunately I left about a month after I passed out for reasons I don't want to get into.

If you're interested to know how many of us made it, I know it was a very low amount, but you probably know that's fairly common. I think in my platoon we started with 48 or so and passed out with 17, I think 14 were left, barely standing after the week in the glen. A lot of lads dropped out for various reasons. Some of it was family, the money, they just didn't like it or couldn't cope with it. And ofcourse as any PDF member here knows, there's a lot of politics that goes on inside the platoon, some people were let go because of this. I know after I left 2 more lads followed with me, one for personal reasons, the other I'm not gonna say. One of my mates from the RDF made it to 3 star, sent me some pictures of the parade, I didn't count all the lads there. A few missing faces, but I think around 14 passed out. As I said I'm just giving rough estimates.

I believe we were the second last platoon to be trained up. There was one other fresh platoon that came in the week we were passing out. According to our corporals and general word we were the last recruit platoon to do scratch in the glen. I'd love to know if that's actually true, I can't understand why they'd remove it. Although I had my bad times, I really loved scratch, and the glen.

I'll never forget that bloody backpack, heavy s.o.b that always leaned to one side no matter how much you yanked on those straps.
                        'Sciathán Fianóglach an Airm'

Comment

Originally posted by thomashood10 View Post
                          Heheh, forgot about all this.

Yep in the end I did pass out as a 2 star btw with the 82nd platoon.

Unforunately I left about a month after I passed out for reasons I don't want to get into.

If you're interested to know how many of us made it, I know it was a very low amount, but you probably know that's fairly common. I think in my platoon we started with 48 or so and passed out with 17, I think 14 were left, barely standing after the week in the glen. A lot of lads dropped out for various reasons. Some of it was family, the money, they just didn't like it or couldn't cope with it. And ofcourse as any PDF member here knows, there's a lot of politics that goes on inside the platoon, some people were let go because of this. I know after I left 2 more lads followed with me, one for personal reasons, the other I'm not gonna say. One of my mates from the RDF made it to 3 star, sent me some pictures of the parade, I didn't count all the lads there. A few missing faces, but I think around 14 passed out. As I said I'm just giving rough estimates.

I believe we were the second last platoon to be trained up. There was one other fresh platoon that came in the week we were passing out. According to our corporals and general word we were the last recruit platoon to do scratch in the glen. I'd love to know if that's actually true, I can't understand why they'd remove it. Although I had my bad times, I really loved scratch, and the glen.

I'll never forget that bloody backpack, heavy s.o.b that always leaned to one side no matter how much you yanked on those straps.
                          14 from 48 - that's over a 66% dropout rate - getting more like the Wing by
                          the day !!!
                          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

They still do scartch, its just not called that.
                            Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Comment

Scratch is the like Delta in the US, we all know its there, it just doesnt officially exist

Comment

Working...
                              X