No announcement yet.

Joining the PDF (Advice etc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love the way the posters giving the most banter were in the "FCA" back in the day before they had a 1/4 lobotomy
    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by HavocIRL View Post
      *Can of worms open*

Better get eating, then.....

Last edited by Truck Driver; 21 December 2009, 08:49.
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by HavocIRL View Post
        Had to put in the civvy times as their are civvys on the board. Namely FCA.

*Can of worms open*
        lol - i was that man!

A Company, 7th Infantry Battalion FCA McKee Barracks Dublin - back in 1988.
        RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
          lol - i was that man!

A Company, 7th Infantry Battalion FCA McKee Barracks Dublin - back in 1988.
          That would mean you didnt join up until after 88

which expressed as a mathamatical equation

RGJ + FCA (1988)

RGJ X BA (>1988)

= RGJ is a red arse
          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

a red arse who has to retire in 1 year! (actually i've got a 2 year extension~!)

maybe a red arse in an Army where you can be a Private soldier aged 55 but not in this army mate!

lol Hedge - you always know i'll bite, fair play pal.
            RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
              a red arse who has to retire in 1 year! (actually i've got a 2 year extension~!)

maybe a red arse in an Army where you can be a Private soldier aged 55 but not in this army mate!

lol Hedge - you always know i'll bite, fair play pal.

Hang on, I was present at a barracks in Chelsea during London Soldier weekend about six years ago and there were a couple of 55 year old professional barric rat privates knocking around

Comment

Out of interest, if someone in the BA applies for the PDF, do they have to do training from day 1 or is there a "fast-track" method like there is for personnel joining the BA?

Comment

Originally posted by Keef View Post
                  Out of interest, if someone in the BA applies for the PDF, do they have to do training from day 1 or is there a "fast-track" method like there is for personnel joining the BA?
                  if I had to guess mate, I'd say you'd have to start from scratch
                  I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                  Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                  Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                  And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                  With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                  He put a bullet through his brain.
                  And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                  Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                  Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                  The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

I only know of one bloke who came from the BA and he wasn't fast tracked AFAIK.

Comment

Of course there is no "fast-track" for someone who was in a foreign military into the PDF.
                      Even if someone who was in the PDF and went on their ticket decided to join up again they will have to start from scratch again.
                      But there's aways the direct entry Medical Officers who will be commissioned with the rank of Captain without doing a Cadetship and YOs.
                      Last edited by Rhodes; 12 August 2011, 19:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                        Of course there is no "fast-track" for someone who was in a foreign military into the PDF.
                        Even if someone who was in the PDF and went on their ticket decided to join up again they will have to start from scratch again.
                        But there's aways the direct entry Medical Officers who will be commissioned with the rank of Captain without doing a Cadetship and YOs.
                        Can you name me any armed forces where drs do full officer cadet training? To do so would new a waste of resources and time.

Comment

Originally posted by northie View Post
                          Can you name me any armed forces where drs do full officer cadet training? To do so would new a waste of resources and time.
                          I never said a MO should do a full Cadetship and YOs to reach the rank of Captain, I was just pointing it out that they don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                            Engineers too, of course. And I'm sure that there's others (Judges? Chaplains?).

Comment

Originally posted by Wicklaman View Post
                              Engineers too, of course. And I'm sure that there's others (Judges? Chaplains?).
                              I would say the days of direct entry engineers are over, there are more than enough engineering graduates going through the standard cadet course that they won't need DE's for years to come, never mind mind those coming out of usac with engineering degrees. Of course the fact that they've been through the fun factory willl make these officers more useful than de's, as well as probably working out cheaper. Mil judges were once line officers that came up through the system and went the legal route. Chaplins do the shoot and salute course or at least those that I know have done it.

Comment

Originally posted by northie View Post
                                Mil judges were once line officers that came up through the system and went the legal route
                                And appear to get an extra 30k pa for the honour.

Comment

Working...
                                X