Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 76 to 83 of 83
  1. #76
    private REX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    936
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by northie View Post
    I would say the days of direct entry engineers are over, there are more than enough engineering graduates going through the standard cadet course that they won't need DE's for years to come, never mind mind those coming out of usac with engineering degrees.
    It's not just the Cadet school, I know of at least one Engineering grsduste who passed out as 2* recently and is currently finishing his 3* training. He was loooking for Engineers but, anecdotally, the officers there were not impressed at the tought off a Private with 2 Degrees in the Corp
    CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

  2. #77
    Custom User Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,306
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by REX View Post
    It's not just the Cadet school, I know of at least one Engineering grsduste who passed out as 2* recently and is currently finishing his 3* training. He was loooking for Engineers but, anecdotally, the officers there were not impressed at the tought off a Private with 2 Degrees in the Corp
    Was told the very same thing by a Capt from the Engineers... Getting overseas is a problem for them because there is so many of them.

    They will all go to Line Units.
    Last edited by Craghopper; 14th August 2011 at 18:50.

  3. #78
    Sergeant Major
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    880
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by REX View Post
    It's not just the Cadet school, I know of at least one Engineering grsduste who passed out as 2* recently and is currently finishing his 3* training. He was loooking for Engineers but, anecdotally, the officers there were not impressed at the tought off a Private with 2 Degrees in the Corp
    Probably not an issue for the officers seeing engineer officers must have engineering degrees but what about the nco's that would command this soldier?

  4. #79
    private REX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    936
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by northie View Post
    Probably not an issue for the officers seeing engineer officers must have engineering degrees but what about the nco's that would command this soldier?
    It was apparently very much an issue for the officers. They would not want a private who may have a better qualification than them in the unit. Like most Officers they would be terrified of having someone who could catch them out! Can't loose face in front of the men dont'cha know.
    CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

  5. #80
    Closed Account Goldie fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    you already know too much
    Posts
    33,440
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://youtu.be/B77bDF-gVSE

    Another batch of recruits pass out.

  6. #81
    Commander in Chief RoyalGreenJacket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Home of the British Army
    Posts
    7,757
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie fish View Post
    http://youtu.be/B77bDF-gVSE

    Another batch of recruits pass out.
    so they all chose to join the Artillery?
    RGJ

    ...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

    The Rifles

  7. #82
    C/S Tango_Charlie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    434
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
    so they all chose to join the Artillery?

    No, these chaps would have been trained by the artillery, 2FAR. A week or two prior to passing out they would have been asked which unit they wanted to go to. Generally their choice would be restricted to the brigade they were trained in. Eastern Brigade in this instance. But they would all pass out together under a 2FAR pennant.

    As a general unwritten rule though, the unit which trained them would get the lions share of recruits. Next platoon trained in the eastern brigade would be trained by one of the other line units.

  8. Thanks RoyalGreenJacket thanked for this post
  9. #83
    Commander in Chief RoyalGreenJacket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Home of the British Army
    Posts
    7,757
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango_Charlie View Post
    As a general unwritten rule though, the unit which trained them would get the lions share of recruits. Next platoon trained in the eastern brigade would be trained by one of the other line units.
    feck that for a game of soldiers.
    RGJ

    ...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

    The Rifles

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •