No announcement yet.

Joining the PDF (Advice etc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The official name for it is Exercise Scratch. It's in the PNCO and Cadet Syllabi as Exercise Scratch and not Revision of Fieldcraft.

Comment

Originally posted by Border Bunny View Post
      You and I and just about everybody else still call it Scratch but the offical name for it is now ''Revision Of Fieldcraft''.
      Wrong.The official name is Scratch.Enshrined in the syllabus of training for the Potential NCO's course.Sorry for being pedantic,but you need to check your facts.
      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

do they still make you crawl through the ditch filled with sheep carcasses muck n sh*t ????
        that was the part i hated the most, not just the brown stuff but those roots and sticks that are embedded in the brown stuff and hold you back and cut the life out of your elbows/ knees

Comment

Want some cheese with that Whine?
          "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by ArdMhacha View Post
            that was the part i hated the most, not just the brown stuff but those roots and sticks that are embedded in the brown stuff and hold you back and cut the life out of your elbows/ knees
            or trying to keep your rifle clean while at the same time fighting your way out of a rotten sheep carcass thats stuck to you !!!!!!
            Anyone need a spleen ?

Comment

For me the worst part was after scratch. We were taken to the cleaning shed in the glen and told to clean our weapons. Every half hour they were inspected and every half hour we were told they were dirty so they took us out and ran us up and down the lines in the glen then a big lap of the billets then back to the shed. 15 mins later the cycle was repeated again and again until 12pm. My scratch started at 2pm ended at 5pm and we were cleaning weapons til 12pm.

Character building
              To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

My scratch started at 2pm ended at 5pm and we were cleaning weapons til 12pm.
                Grim

Comment

Originally posted by HavocIRL View Post
                  For me the worst part was after scratch. We were taken to the cleaning shed in the glen and told to clean our weapons. Every half hour they were inspected and every half hour we were told they were dirty so they took us out and ran us up and down the lines in the glen then a big lap of the billets then back to the shed. 15 mins later the cycle was repeated again and again until 12pm. My scratch started at 2pm ended at 5pm and we were cleaning weapons til 12pm.

Character building
                  You must have had some political pull to get such a cushy scratch-

starting at 1400hrs and finishing at 1700 hrs-

I dont know recruits these days have it soooooooooooooo cushy and easy-

next you will be complaining that you couldnt get a wifi signal during your scratch

or that the refreshement cart half way around ran out of mochino
                  Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                  Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                  The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                  The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                  The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                  Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                    You must have had some political pull to get such a cushy scratch-

starting at 1400hrs and finishing at 1700 hrs-

I dont know recruits these days have it soooooooooooooo cushy and easy-

next you will be complaining that you couldnt get a wifi signal during your scratch

or that the refreshement cart half way around ran out of mochino
                    Well now that you mention it............
                    To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Well now that you mention it............
                      thats the cutbacks
                      I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                      Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                      Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                      And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                      With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                      He put a bullet through his brain.
                      And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                      Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                      Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                      The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

Character building
                        i think you need to go back to 'scratch' - you still tell the time like a civvie

what's all this am / pm stuff??!

all that was beaten out of me on day 1 - never to be uttered again!
                        RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Old habits die hard i guess.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                            i think you need to go back to 'scratch' - you still tell the time like a civvie

what's all this am / pm stuff??!

all that was beaten out of me on day 1 - never to be uttered again!
                            Had to put in the civvy times as their are civvys on the board. Namely FCA.

*Can of worms open*

Comment

*Can of worms open*
                              quoth the ex-member.
                              "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by havocirl View Post
                                had to put in the civvy times as their are civvys on the board. Namely fca.

*can of worms open*
                                lmfao:-d:-d:-d
                                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Working...
                                X