Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  26
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: New DPM Jacket

Post Thanks / Like
    Tell me about it, Thought they were supposed to go on general issue but it never happened! Handy bits of kit!
    Train Hard Fight Easy!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    The new ones look gank.The velcro adjuster on the back is gone and the fastener on the front peak has been replaced by the DF badge Printed on.In gold print.Yuck.
    Original Lowe Alpine ones are the shizzle.One of the best bits of kit EVER issued.
    Infantry Corps - An Lámh Comhrac

"Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

3. Likes DeV liked this post
    Banned User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Velcro adjuster? sound like Louis Copeland or Elton John I rest my case , How the F... can u be a soldier without yor VAa

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BANDIT View Post
    war is not a very safe endevour...
    I thought this was about some jacket...

You're right Bandit, war is not safe; but times have changed, and while there is some questionable kit being used by modern Armies, protective eqpt has become a necessity.

I explained to our Afghan Brothers, while mentoring them, that we have responsibilities as warriors. We have a responsibility to ourselves to stay healthy, and to our families to stay alive. We also have a responsibility to our Brothers in Arms, alongside whom we fight, to stay in the fight. We do this in part by wearing eqpt that will protect us from the enemy's attempts to harm us.

One of our interpreters (an Afghan) thought it was uncool to wear the kit; while patrolling in Nakhonay village one day, he took the brunt of the blast of an IED that was aimed at the (Cdn) Coy Cmder. He nearly lost a leg, and came within a few inches of being killed. When he came back months later, he never questioned the importance of protective eqpt and wore it.

I always insisted that the ANA Soldiers we operated with wear their kit; one day, a Ford Ranger was hit by a DFC IED. One of the Soldiers had a piece of shrapnel lodged in his helmet, that was sticking out inside the helmet. This bit of shrapnel would have killed him instantly had he been wearing a boonie.

Attachment 6511
    "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

6. Thanks apod thanked for this post
    Banned User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agree regarding protective kit when the risk assessment indicates that it should be used . And in Afghanistan I would wear such kit where necessary . In recent years I have worn body armour, helmet in the ,africa , middle east, pakistan, etc so I am not against wearing it when it calls for it..
    Except when I am home for the “summer” in Ireland I almost always wear sunglasses so I use a pair of Wileys ballistic sun glasses , (I have a thing about eyes,) Its just that the risk criteria seems to have been lowered too much ,, and there still is just too much unnecessary kit around, in a situation like Afghanistan it creates a huge logistic tail and ties up huge no.s of troop supporting a very thin line.
    so thats why I rant about Barrack jackets and Velcro adjusters , etc , I am the type of guy who shortens the tooth brush handle or uses a stick to clean my teeth so as to reduce the load . I used to use a Remington 1100 shotgun in one job , cut the butt off and fiited a" folding sidewinder type "butt, Same with my current civvy shotgun ,
    Now I understand armies cannot do this but tghey should be as lean as possible and concentrtae on essentials, good basic weapons, fit nad hard troops and I dont mean normal civvy fit, I say this as a very fit 50+ yr old fart.
    Rant over

8. Thanks hptmurphy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    How would shortening a toothbrush handle "reduce your load"?Seriously? It may take up less space in a crammed bergen.But "reduce your load"?
    You make me laugh sometimes.
    Infantry Corps - An Lámh Comhrac

"Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

10. Thanks hptmurphy thanked for this post

Thread Information