No announcement yet.

New DPM Jacket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epaulettes are the "traditional" place to put rank markings for officers (with other ranks wearing them on the sleeve). The ones on the sniper smock are probably for holding rifle slings in place while in a firing position.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
      Epaulettes are the "traditional" place to put rank markings for officers (with other ranks wearing them on the sleeve). The ones on the sniper smock are probably for holding rifle slings in place while in a firing position.

So what your saying is only officers should get this jacket or that everyone else should sow there rank onto the sleeves? and for the sniper smock that seams like a bit of a bad idea if you ask me, they just get in the way, get snaged and when your wearing some form of bag then dig into your shoulders.
      Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Comment

Contracts were signed for the new "walking out jacket" i.e the DPM fleece recently.Should be in stores by april i am reliably informed.Changes were made to the spec on foot of the user trials and i am informed the chest mounted rank position has been retained.The jacket Col.Courteney was wearing was one of the trial items.

Also the i9ssue sniper smock has chest mounted rank not shoulder mounted.The "epalluetes" on it are for sling mounting for off hand shooting.:wink:
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

somebody post pic when possible please, are traditional fleeces a bit outdated ? would some thing like the brit reversible snugpak been a better buy as alot of people seem to be purchasing these instead of norgies and fleeces .
          "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
            Contracts were signed for the new "walking out jacket" i.e the DPM fleece recently.Should be in stores by april I am reliably informed.....
            I wonder when the RDF will be getting issued with them.
            The 1st of Never, no doubt, as per normal....

Then again, I'll settle for waiting on that if the "issue of DPM wetgear to RDF
            members with over 3 years service" happens first....

And yes, the quotation marks ARE deliberate...
            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
              I wonder when the RDF will be getting issued with them.
              The 1st of Never, no doubt, as per normal....

Then again, I'll settle for waiting on that if the "issue of DPM wetgear to RDF
              members with over 3 years service" happens first....

And yes, the quotation marks ARE deliberate...

Seen an RDF Capt with one on just before the Christmas break. I wonder who he "acquired" that off

Comment

My troops have not been issued cold weather clothing (anything like a norgie or fleece) because stocks have been left to depleate for this new piece of kit, which is its replacement. therefore one would imagine that it is a replacement for RDF aswell. at the end of the day my opinion is this, if my troops are allowed out on the ground without such protective equiptment which the stituation itself dictates, I would hope they would have the sense, if injured as a result, to seek legal advice on the matter.
                Last edited by coffee; 14 January 2009, 16:20.

Comment

Originally posted by coffee View Post
                  My troops have not been issued cold weather clothing (anything like a norgie or fleece) because stocks have been left to depleate for this new piece of kit, which is its replacement. therefore one would imagine that it is a replacement for RDF aswell. at the end of the day my opinion is this, if my troops are allowed out on the ground without such protective equiptment which the stituation itself dictates, I would hope they would have the sense, if injured as a result, to seek legal advice on the matter.

And knowing some people even though they will be informed that its for barrack dress and the smock for out on the ground, they wouldn't allow you to wear it cause not everyone has it and its not uniformity.

Comment

Originally posted by coffee View Post
                    This is not for use on the ground (from what I hear). It is merely for barracks. Cold weather gear for RDF on the ground? Wet Weather gear would be better to start with.

Comment

My troops have not been issued cold weather clothing (anything like a norgie or fleece) because stocks have been left to depleate
                      I remember doing tactics in the Glen in 1988 in No.1's. , in 1992 in a Ho Chi Minh Jacket. Raingear was a poncho/groundsheet if the 3*'s hadn't nicked them all first.

the woolly jumpers were great when we got them... I'm sure there's a massive supply of them somewhere
                      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by Docman View Post
                        This is not for use on the ground (from what I hear). It is merely for barracks. Cold weather gear for RDF on the ground? Wet Weather gear would be better to start with.

From what i have heard, its to totally replace the fleece and norgie and going by that its to be worn out on the ground but the smock is still going to be the outer layer out on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
                          From what i have heard, its to totally replace the fleece and norgie and going by that its to be worn out on the ground but the smock is still going to be the outer layer out on the ground.
                          It is completely unsuitable for the ground. It is not a like for like replacement.

Comment

The whole idea is suppose to be its layered - thermals, T-shirt/dryflo, norge, shirt, fleece, smock, wet suit

Comment

It is completely unsuitable for the ground
                              you forgot to add 'in my opinion'. those in the know do feel that it is a like for like replacement.

The whole idea is suppose to be its layered
                              correct but the next part is bullshit. since when has the shirt been part of our tactical dress?
                              Last edited by coffee; 15 January 2009, 13:55.

Comment

[/QUOTE]
                                correct but the next part is bullshit. since when has the shirt been part of our tactical dress?[/QUOTE]

Don't worry about the rules as to how and when you should wear anything.
                                It's all down to th individual Sgt Major or CO.
                                How many guys have been told that they have to wear ALL the modular pouches that came with the new battle vest "because you were issued with them" regardless of the duty they are doing?

Comment

Working...
                                X