No announcement yet.

New DPM Jacket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many guys have been told that they have to wear ALL the modular pouches that came with the new battle vest "because you were issued with them" regardless of the duty they are doing?
    agreed its pointless and if comes from a high it has to be done. the reason why people are wearing the shirt as part of the tactical uniform is due to some random sgt or 2 piper that has not been up in so long we were all sure we went to their funeral. there is so much of that bollix in the 'reserve' its comic effect has long been lost to rage.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
      The whole idea is suppose to be its layered - thermals, T-shirt/dryflo, norge, shirt, fleece, smock, wet suit

Your not meant to wear the smock and wet suit together, one or the other, your just a michelan man with both then

Originally posted by coffee View Post
      agreed its pointless and if comes from a high it has to be done. the reason why people are wearing the shirt as part of the tactical uniform is due to some random sgt or 2 piper that has not been up in so long we were all sure we went to their funeral. there is so much of that bollix in the 'reserve' its comic effect has long been lost to rage.

Have to totally agree with that, were told to wear our gear in some backwards arsehole way half the time, what we tend to do is listen to them and then when they go off go back to what we were doing, its unbelievable how much some officers are out of touch of what is actually meant to be done.
      Last edited by paul; 15 January 2009, 16:34.
      Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
        Your not meant to wear the smock and wet suit together, one or the other, your just a michelan man with both then
        Really? So what exactly do you do with all your TAM's, arty target cards, pens, compass etc?

"Dont shoot yet, Ive got to get my smock with all my command kit out of my daysack first."
        I think not.
        Faugh A Ballagh

Comment

The numerous pouches and inner pockets of the vest replace the pockets in the smock.
          Besides it's not so easy to reach the smock pockets when wearing a vest so you tend not to use them.

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
            News to me????

AFAIK, you don't wear the Wetsuit when OtM, Makes too much noise, Overheat and such.

I have only ever worn it when I knew I wouldn't be moving much,

I see the Logic in Taking the smock off, but still there are too many important things kept in it, when wearing CEFO, that taking it off could lead to problems.

I don't know About when the lads wear the IPLCS, but I was taught that the Smock was supposed to keep you going for 24 hours, CEFO 48 hours,
            I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Turncoat View Post
              Really? So what exactly do you do with all your TAM's, arty target cards, pens, compass etc?

"Dont shoot yet, Ive got to get my smock with all my command kit out of my daysack first."
              I think not.

Originally posted by Dazzler View Post
              News to me????

AFAIK, you don't wear the Wetsuit when OtM, Makes too much noise, Overheat and such.

I have only ever worn it when I knew I wouldn't be moving much,

I see the Logic in Taking the smock off, but still there are too many important things kept in it, when wearing CEFO, that taking it off could lead to problems.

I don't know About when the lads wear the IPLCS, but I was taught that the Smock was supposed to keep you going for 24 hours, CEFO 48 hours,

You transfer the stuff from your smock to your rain gear, i know most people only have 2 pockets but if you have so much stuff in your smock that you totally pack them 2 pockets you have too much stuff in your smock in the first place.
              I know your thinking i have to carry things and that i have 4 smock pockets that can hold stuff, for your average soldier and definitely rdf's you never need that much stuff. Your not the wing guys that got rain gear specially made for them with the 4 pockets cause they generally don't wear smocks, have other better stuff to keep them warm.
              Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Comment

the wing are so though they don't need wet gear , the rain veers off at last sec rather then wet a ranger
                "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

Lads you miss the point. The DPM introduced the layering principle to the DF, the idea is that you put on a number of relatively fine layers instead of 1/2 thick layers of clothing (this has nothing to do with what you carrying it is about keeping warm & alive!).

The DPM was introduced so it could be used in ALL climates (from Chad to Ireland to the Arctic circle), eg in Chad you would wear driflo & shirt, in Kosovo/Bosnia they may wear driflo, norge, fleece, smock.

In wet static positions you would put on wet suit, depends on how cold it is you are (you may be glad of both!).

The new jacket is supposed to replace 2 layers from the system?!

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                    The new jacket is supposed to replace 2 layers from the system?!
                    So, we're going backwards????
                    I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

There is no need to have a norgie and a fleece.

The dryflo layer negates the norgie because it acts as a base layer and when combined with a polyester fleece will keep you very warm.

If they issued a light water resistant smock instead of the ripstop poly/cotton monster we have now we'd be laughing
                      It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Originally posted by Bam Bam View Post
                        a light water resistant smock instead of the ripstop poly/cotton monster we have now we'd be laughing
                        Monster is right. Bloody things are huge.
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
                        Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
                        Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
                        Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

Well in fairness Johnny, you are only 3 feet in height and weigh approx 8 pounds
                          It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

eg in Chad you would wear driflo & shirt
                            the shirt is not part of the tactical uniform. it has been used as such because of the gap in suitable outerware

So, we're going backwards????
                            nope no point in having a norgie and fleece if a fleece alone will do. also it has been desigined so it can be worn as a proper barrack jacket.

Comment

Actually the shirt is part of your tactical uniform.

According to A9 the smock was only to be worn in inclement weather.

Comment

This shirt IS part of the tactical uniform - but you'd be a fool to wear the shirt and smock at the same time. The shirt is best used in a patrol harbour as dry kit, or in warm weather as an outer layer. However, if you wear it under your smock, when your smock gets wet then your shirt will just absorb the water, negating the effects of any driflo/similar wicking baselayer you are wearing under it.

Comment

Working...
                                X