No announcement yet.

Asgard 2 Sinking in Bay of Biscay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BTW You cannot add a poll to an existing thread, start a new thread if you want to start a poll

Comment

• Originally posted by boomer View Post
      BTW You cannot add a poll to an existing thread, start a new thread if you want to start a poll
      We can't, but you can.....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Apologies folks for my absenteeism (and my spelling) I'm trying to get at the site as much as I can but I have my own yacht repair drama to look after for the next few months
        "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• Some "answers".

What is happening with regard to the Asgard? How many more surveys must we have to decide whether to raise it from the seabed? What recommendation was made by the Asgard board with regard to salvage in its report, which was leaked to the Irish Independent last Sunday? What is in that report?
          The position with regard to the Asgard II is with the Minister for decision. He stated that he expects to make a decision in the very near future and I do not feel I should comment further on this matter.
          181. Deputy Brian O’Shea asked the Minister for Defence if he has received the recommendation of Coiste an Asgard regarding the proposed salvaging of the Asgard II (details supplied); and if he will make a statement on the matter. [5414/09]

Minister for Defence (Deputy Willie O’Dea): I have received the recommendation of the Board of Coiste an Asgard regarding the proposed salvage of Asgard II and I will be announcing my decision in the matter in the coming days.

Comment

• Just heard it on the 4pm news. Asgard II is not now to be raised and a replacement will be considered.
            regards
            GttC

Comment

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
              Just heard it on the 4pm news. Asgard II is not now to be raised and a replacement will be considered.
              regards
              GttC
              Right so! who's going after the bell, ships wheel and the prop for good measure. It's open day now for all divers!

Comment

• depth charge it and end its misery,

Comment

• Creidne will take over. Official.

Comment

• I thought this was funny.

The Board also took into account the view that parents of potential trainees (particularly those with no sailing experience) may be reluctant to allow their children to sail on a vessel that has sunk.

Comment

• Originally posted by Test Pilot View Post
                      Right so! who's going after the bell, ships wheel and the prop for good measure. It's open day now for all divers!
                      Some very well equiped divers being where she is and how deep. Not an easy dive by any stretch of the imagination!
                      "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• Goldie,

you may find it funny but it's actually a legitimate concern for some people.

however, it's not a reason in its own right to leave her sitting at the bottom of the sea *sigh*
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
                        Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
                        Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
                        Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

• They are looking for a less maintainance intensive replacement with a steel hull. They are making arrangement for a stop-gap vessel & places on a Norwegian programme.

Comment

• The cost alone is a full reason to let her there. A ship is a ship. Yes she is of historical significance but so was the the thousands of other sail training vessels around the world that have succumbed to the sea. It was her time to go. Just be thankful no-one was killed or injured

Comment

• Originally posted by ZULU View Post
                              The cost alone is a full reason to let her there. A ship is a ship. Yes she is of historical significance but so was the the thousands of other sail training vessels around the world that have succumbed to the sea. It was her time to go. Just be thankful no-one was killed or injured
                              I agree Zulu! Sad that she is gone, but practical solutions can't be based on nostalgia.

How deep is she, by the way?

Comment

• 83 metres.

Comment

Working...
                                X