No announcement yet.

Asgard 2 Sinking in Bay of Biscay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

all gone very quiet no minister spouting out about this one.. probably withdrawing all their money.. focns should be making some approach to have a dive done on it..

Comment

all gone very quiet no minister spouting out about this one.. probably withdrawing all their money.. focns should be making some approach to have a dive done on it
      Not as if the Navy couldn't do the job themselves.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

two young ones interviewed today on rte 2 tv they thought it was great crack and laughed and joked through the interview. obviously Dodddy paid the way and they did not once see the serious side of it age should be considered in the future as the risk is high

Comment

In years to come, will they sue for PTSS?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Down by the bow? To me that rules out a Shaft Gland or seacock failure
            Sprung board?
            And the whore of babylon shall riiide forth in a frenzy of excitement.

Frak me my Mandalore clobber has a two+unmod sv.

:confused:

Comment

Good News

Friday, October 3, 2008'Asgard II' more likely to be raised as exploration reveals it is largely intact
              LORNA SIGGINS, Marine CorrespondentPROSPECTS OF salvaging the sail training ship Asgard II have increased, following the discovery that the hull is upright and "largely intact" on the seabed in the Bay of Biscay.

An initial survey by a remotely operated vehicle (ROV) has also confirmed that one of the hull's planks has a significant fracture.

However, the Department of Defence said that it is "not possible at this stage to determine whether this has resulted from impact with the seabed, or was the original cause of the sinking".

The French coast guard has confirmed that the area where the ship sank on September 11th, some 22km (14 miles) west of Belle-Île on the French northwest coast, has a sandy bottom with no significant rocks.

Marine experts believe the fracture in the plank could have been caused on impact - such as by collision with a hatch cover washed off a merchant ship. Hatch covers are frequent and dangerous debris in busy shipping lanes, and some are fitted with iron spikes which can have a lancing effect.

Minister for Defence Willie O'Dea said yesterday in a statement that he and his fellow directors on Coiste an Asgard, which runs the State's sail training programme, would like to "thank everyone who has sent messages of support and good wishes on the unfortunate accident".

"Until further investigations are carried out, it is not possible to say whether Asgard II can be salvaged," his department's statement said.

However, an early salvage before the weather deteriorates could prove significantly cheaper than building a replacement vessel. The vessel is insured for €3.8 million, according to the department, and a salvage before the vessel deteriorates could be carried out for less than €2 million.

All 25 crew members and trainees on Asgard II were evacuated to life-rafts, and rescued by volunteers with the French marine rescue service, SNSM, early on September 11th.

The alarm was raised when the ship began to take in water which its bilge pumps couldn't cope with. The ship was en route from Falmouth in England to La Rochelle in France.

The ship sank, bow first, at 9.30am Irish time, just more than five hours after the alarm had been raised. Its position on the seabed in some 80m (263ft) of water was confirmed to the French Prefecture Maritime de l'Atlantique by a fishing vessel which was in the area and recorded it on sonar.

The inquiry into the sinking is being undertaken by the French in conjunction with Ireland's Marine Casualty Investigation Board.

The Asgard II won many international awards during its career, having been designed and built by the late Jack Tyrrell of Arklow, Co Wicklow and commissioned by the late taoiseach, Charles J Haughey, in 1981.

© 2008 The Irish Times
              Seems she is built of strong stuff after all.

Comment

Similar story http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1003/asgard.html
                Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
                  I was going to suggest the Jeannie Johnston as a replacement, until I saw she is already an STY, albeit a corporate one.
                  wasn't the defence minister supposed to give a statement on what the plan is this week??

Comment

Yeah, he did too.
                    Sail Training Vessels.

10. Deputy Brian O’Shea asked the Minister for Defence the report he has received on the sinking of the Asgard II off the French coast; his future plans in regard to the provision of a sail training vessel; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [35947/08]

Deputy Willie O’Dea: As the Deputy will be aware, on 11 September 2008, the national sail training vessel, Asgard II, sank in the Bay of Biscay off the coast of France. The Asgard II was on a cruise from Falmouth in the UK to La Rochelle. On board were five crew and 20 trainees. All crew and trainees were evacuated successfully and are safe and well.

The decision to abandon the vessel and take to the life rafts was made by the captain because the vessel was taking in water and was flooding. Weather conditions at the time were moderate. All trainees and crew were rescued by the French life boat service and taken to the island of Belle Île. I take this opportunity to compliment the captain and crew of Asgard II on the very professional manner in which all the trainees were quickly and safely taken off the vessel. I would also like to pay tribute to the French life boat service for quickly coming to the rescue of the trainees and crew and bringing everybody safely ashore; and to the authorities in Belle Île on the way they looked after things.

The Marine Casualty Investigation Board, which is a statutory independent body, is carrying out an investigation into the cause of the incident. I have no information as to when the result of that investigation will be available.

Asgard II was insured with Allianz Plc for the sum of €3.8 million. Following consultations with insurance company representatives, Coiste an Asgard decided to arrange a survey of the vessel using a remotely operated vehicle in order to establish her status prior to any decisions being made in regard to salvage. This survey, which was carried out between 26 and 29 September, revealed that the vessel is lying upright in 80 m of water close to where she sank and appears to be largely intact. Damage to one of the hull planks has been observed but it is not possible, at this stage, to determine whether this has resulted from impact with the seabed or was the original cause of the sinking.

At a meeting between Coiste an Asgard and the insurance company on 9 October, it was agreed that the insurance company would seek tenders for the salvage of Asgard II and that a decision on whether to proceed with a salvage operation would be made in the light of the outcome of the tender process. I understand that the closing date for the receipt of tenders is 31 October.

Pending a decision on the future of Asgard II, the board of Coiste an Asgard is considering the question of procuring a suitable temporary replacement vessel. At this stage, I am not in a position to indicate when a decision might be made as to whether to procure a replacement vessel.

Deputy Brian O’Shea: Like the Minister, I compliment the captain on the very effective way this crisis was dealt with. Everybody came out of it safe and sound. The French authorities also played an important part in the rescue. Having said that, we still do not know what happened. I have read speculation that debris from ships floats around this area and that it is quite a problem.

I understand from the initial under-sea survey that the cause is not readily visible. Effectively, it is not clear whether the damaged plank the Minister mentioned was caused by impact with the seabed or whether it was the cause of the accident.

Salvage is now on the agenda and, obviously, the tenders will have a bearing on whether that happens. I take the points the Minister made that we do not know what happened and that it may be some time before he knows.

Have ships such as the Dunbrody or the Jeanie Johnston been considered by Coiste an Asgard as possible replacement sail training vessels? That project is at an initial stage, if at all. Will something happen before the end of the year?

Deputy Willie O’Dea: As Deputy O’Shea rightly recognises, we will not know the precise cause of the accident until the Marine Casualty Investigation Board concludes its investigation. I assure the House that when it does, I will have no difficulty publishing its report. In regard to Deputy O’Shea’s second question, Coiste an Asgard is considering a number of possibilities for replacement. It has not yet reported back to me on its considerations in that regard.

Deputy Brian O’Shea: Are the French authorities involved in the investigation? If so, has the Minister received any information from them?

Deputy Willie O’Dea: The investigating body is the Marine Casualty Investigation Board. Naturally, it must talk to the French authorities and the French life board service, in particular. I understand that nobody other than the Marine Casualty Investigation Board is directly involved in the investigation. It has primary responsibility for the investigation.

Deputy Brian O’Shea: Were they not involved in the underwater survey?

Deputy Willie O’Dea: I cannot answer that question exactly but I understand the underwater survey was commissioned by Coiste an Asgard. I do not know who it got to do it but I can get that information for the Deputy.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                      Yeah, he did too.
                      thanks for that ? hopefully some good news

Comment

I think they have missed the window for this year.

104. Deputy Michael D. Higgins asked the Minister for Defence the number of tenders received to date for the re-floating of the Asgard II; when a decision will be made on the possible re-floating of the vessel; the progress that has been made with regard to the possible use of a temporary replacement vessel; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [42760/08]

119. Deputy Denis Naughten asked the Minister for Defence the position regarding the recovery of the Asgard II; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [42780/08]

215. Deputy Darragh O’Brien asked the Minister for Defence the progress made in deciding to salvage the Asgard 11: the outcome to the tender process to salvage the vessel; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [43171/08]

Minister for Defence (Deputy Willie O’Dea): I propose to take Questions Nos. 104, 119 and 215 together.

Allianz Plc., with which Asgard II was insured in the sum of €3.8m, has conducted a tender competition for the salvage of the vessel. The proposals submitted are still under consideration. I expect that a decision as to whether to proceed with a salvage operation will be made within about two weeks. The question of procuring a temporary replacement vessel for Asgard II is still under consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                          I think they have missed the window for this year.
                          I think so. Weather is so unpredictable at this time of year. West coast bad enough - but Biscay?

Comment

Will there be anything left worth salvaging, if it goes thru a winter getting shoved about? Kind of pointless raising it if it's beyond repair.
                            regards
                            GttC

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                              Will there be anything left worth salvaging, if it goes thru a winter getting shoved about? Kind of pointless raising it if it's beyond repair.
                              regards
                              GttC
                              Fecking sure there is

the Capt left his IPOD on board
                              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                                Fecking sure there is

the Capt left his IPOD on board
                                on a related note. the cost of replacing the nav gear on board must make someone want to cry...... nothing but the best, apparently..........
                                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
                                Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
                                Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
                                Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

Working...
                                X