No announcement yet.

Asgard 2 Sinking in Bay of Biscay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure there are many in the marine electronics industry who would be delighted to replace the Nav Equipment.

ahem.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Why not go straight to cutting wood for Asgard III instead? In a very recent copy of a yachting magazine is a picture of a 110 ft, new-build STS built in a yard near Boston,in an old style but with a modern engine and electronics.Why not?
      regards
      GttC
      Last edited by GoneToTheCanner; 29 November 2008, 00:17.

Comment

Any news on the proposed salvage tenders, I believe there is an underwater photo of her in this months AFLOAT magazine, I imagine she's pretty well bashed up now, heard some dutch salvage guy talking on the radio about pumping her full of polysteyrene beads and then lifting her! it would be great to raise her. sad thing about the timing with the recession etc... cant imagine the ministers rushing to build a new training ship,
        "The meeting of preparation with opportunity generates the offspring we call luck."

Comment

Originally posted by johnny no stars View Post
          on a related note. the cost of replacing the nav gear on board must make someone want to cry...... nothing but the best, apparently..........
          The best doesn't be long in going out of date in the world of electronics. Nav equipment is no different.

Comment

According to seascapes, the Insurers have finished their end and have completed tendering for salvage, but are now waiting for the DoD to give them the Yay or Nay.

Comment

Originally posted by Galway hooker11 View Post
              Any news on the proposed salvage tenders, I believe there is an underwater photo of her in this months AFLOAT magazine, I imagine she's pretty well bashed up now, heard some dutch salvage guy talking on the radio about pumping her full of polysteyrene beads and then lifting her! it would be great to raise her. sad thing about the timing with the recession etc... cant imagine the ministers rushing to build a new training ship,
              I wonder how viable that would be? All the electrics / electonics, pumps, engines, generator, battery banks would all be destroyed by now. If she had been moving around on the sea bed there is every lightlyhood that there is structural damage also. Sad.
              Last edited by Boomer; 5 January 2009, 01:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Test Pilot View Post
                I wonder how viable that would be? All the electrics / electonics, pumps, engines, generator, battery banks would all be destroyed by now. If she had been moving around on the sea bed there is every lightlyhood that there is structural damage also. Sad.

[mod: no naming board members!]
                Jonny No Stars, I haven't named any bord member on this thread. In fact I was not aware there was a board member here.

You, yourself drew attention to that fact by the comment in red above.

Comment

check your PMs...
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
                  Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
                  Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
                  Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

re naming...

Originally posted by Test Pilot View Post
                    Jonny No Stars, I haven't named any bord member on this thread. In fact I was not aware there was a board member here.

You, yourself drew attention to that fact by the comment in red above.
                    test pilot
                    I AM NOT A BOARD MEMBER??? DID I MISS SOMETHING

John
                    "The meeting of preparation with opportunity generates the offspring we call luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Galway hooker11 View Post
                      test pilot
                      I AM NOT A BOARD MEMBER??? DID I MISS SOMETHING

John
                      Well John, I was always of the opinion that you were such a high caliber person, that you may have been invited to the board.

I hear that you have to wear a sash at the meetings though!

Gabriel.

Comment

According to Seascapes, the DoD require another survey before they will allow salvage of Asgard II, even though the insurers estimate that salvage will cost much less than what the vessel is insured for.

Comment

For what? I smell fudging!
                          regards
                          GttC

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                            For what? I smell fudging!
                            regards
                            GttC
                            It could be an update survey to see if the vessel is still intact.

Comment

I can imagine that report....it's gone.the end.
                              Start cutting timber for Asgard III, someone.
                              regards
                              GttC

Comment

They have not finished fixing Asgard I yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X