• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Laners View Post
    3* and A/S are the same .
    Sorry probably O/S (2*?)

Comment

however once you achieve a rank it may be possible to transfer inter Corps at the same rank??
      If you hold a valid qualification, which is not easy given the disparity of Naval qualifications because of the specialized role , in comparisson with Civilian qualifications..

Given the reluctance of the Defence Forces to recognise even the mots bast form of qualification, a civilian driving license, without requirement for specialized conversion course , one would wonder if the time and money spent on potentially qualify people as watch keepers would actually worth it.

I do believe that suitably qualified reservists do have a place on ships,but the nature of their engagement makes it nigh on impossible to achieve parity in training and experience with their equivalent rank thus making full one for one replacement all most impossible.

I do think the NSR should diversify in its qualifications of ratings from the basic seamanship,signals and mechs watch keeping in order to provide greater variety for potential recruits.

However in order to achieve this the DF and the Government need to address how reservists are treated in terms of contracts, pay , conditions and employment security.

The NS are probably more proactive in their approach to reservists but are hampered by blanket rulings on the DF.

Should the NS ever become separated from the DF as a whole, reservists may play an even greater part in the future of the NS.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Four NSR NCOs will be commissioned in July. Two of them are professional MN watchkeepers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sluggie View Post
          Four NSR NCOs will be commissioned in July. Two of them are professional MN watchkeepers.
          That is exactly the right path. RNR entrants to RN were commissioned as seamen officers and were used as watchkeepers. I'm not sure how they handled Marine, Electrical, and electronic qualified entrants but I,m sure they were most welcome and useful. It's all down to training and assimilation procedures.

Comment

My son is starting college in cork next week and wants to join the ns reserve, would anyone know when and if the ns will open recruitment again for reservists? thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by restless View Post
              My son is starting college in cork next week and wants to join the ns reserve, would anyone know when and if the ns will open recruitment again for reservists? thanks in advance.
              The latest recruitment campaign has closed unfortunately but I would expect a new one sometime in the next twelve months. No more detailed information than that unfortunately.

Comment

Thanks for that, il tell him to keep his eye on it.

Comment

Originally posted by restless View Post
                  Thanks for that, il tell him to keep his eye on it.
                  Tell him to follow the Naval service on social media. Oh and the RDFRA too. It'll be advertised widely there.

Comment

Have been reading this thread and came across this article today...I had no idea that this career path was open to reservists but thought it was an interesting example of how reservists can be employed...

'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post
                      Have been reading this thread and came across this article today...I had no idea that this career path was open to reservists but thought it was an interesting example of how reservists can be employed...

https://www.forces.net/news/how-do-r...divers-operate
                      Not exactly a career path in our Service. Any person of any trade, or rank can volunteer to undertake a Ship's Diver course. Key requirement is aptitude and medical clearance to dive to training depth of about 30 odd feet to typically examine ship's Hull and harbour structures and carry out planned searches in shallow SAR. Those that become skilled underwater and undertake advanced Diving training can gravitate to the Diving unit and it's training element, where they are more Divers than Cooks, Comms., Mechs., or Seamanship Branches. The rest Dive on secondment from their normal trades.
                      Naval Reserves should be fully integrated by training both formal and on-the-job and of course become capable of Diving Duties. The Naval Future is largely to train and acquire all of the Naval skills and the hardware to do so.

Comment

Not forgetting the Basic Divers Cse is one of the hardest courses (<15% pass rate) in the DF and is 10 weeks long

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                          Not forgetting the Basic Divers Cse is one of the hardest courses (<15% pass rate) in the DF and is 10 weeks long
                          Dev,

In this thread there has been a bit of discussion about the employability and under-utilization of reservists in the Irish Naval Service.

What I posted was an example of how a neighbouring Naval Service employ a small number of their personnel.

In no way did I suggest that the Irish Navy should do likewise...I merely sought to illustrate that it is possible to think outside the box.

The regular RN Clearance Divers course is 20 weeks long...and like its Irish counterpart... its nails.

If you've looked at the original link I posted you'll see that amongst those employed by the RNR as divers are a Fireman and an ex-Royal Marine Commando.

In other words 'handy' boys...

It takes 2-3 years to qualify as a diver in the RNR...they get trained and tested to the same standards as their regular counterparts.

They are all also experienced divers before they apply (either commercial or recreational)...unlike their regular counterparts who join up with the intention of entering the clearance diver trade / bomb disposal trade.

Another link -

So by no means is entering the RNR Divers Branch easy...I'd imagine it takes a lot of determination, discipline and takes up a huge chunk of their spare time maintaining fitness.

It is do-able...the RNR has shown that it is.

Comment

I’m not saying it’s impossible or shouldn’t be done.

If we think the AR is in a bad state with regard to recruitment, the NSR is worse

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post

https://www.forces.net/news/how-do-r...divers-operate
                              Eons ago the RNR manned most of the RNs minesweeping fleet so divers were a must.
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                                Eons ago the RNR manned most of the RNs minesweeping fleet so divers were a must.
                                I worked with a guy who had fond memories of training exercises on HMS Helford the NI RNR Minesweeper...which was sold to Bangladesh after the 90s defence cuts

Comment

Working...
                                X