Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 51

Thread: Landmines

  1. #1
    2/Lt Bosco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Tipperary
    Posts
    1,649
    Post Thanks / Like

    Landmines

    Guys I have a question, a friend of one of my housemate's works for Halo, a demining charity and was down here over the weekend and we got to talking.

    Basically he hates landmines of all sorts and asked did we ever use em in Ireland to which I replied No, well I'm pretty sure we haven't!

    So my question have we ever used landmines or their far more PC name nowadays area denial weapons.
    I have a vague memory of seeing a picture in Ft Davis of a claymore-esque device on a tripod and I believe it was the engineers (PDF side) that had it.

    Anyhelp would be appreciated.
    Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

  2. #2
    Chief of the Diet Tribe Groundhog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    S 116 349
    Posts
    10,095
    Post Thanks / Like
    Define "used".

    Say NO to violence against Women

    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    My favourite moment was when the
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

  3. #3
    Retired sapper smegers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Limerick
    Posts
    354
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    Guys I have a question, a friend of one of my housemate's works for Halo, a demining charity and was down here over the weekend and we got to talking.

    Basically he hates landmines of all sorts and asked did we ever use em in Ireland to which I replied No, well I'm pretty sure we haven't!

    So my question have we ever used landmines or their far more PC name nowadays area denial weapons.
    I have a vague memory of seeing a picture in Ft Davis of a claymore-esque device on a tripod and I believe it was the engineers (PDF side) that had it.

    Anyhelp would be appreciated.

    This right?
    I'm not sure if landmines have been used operationally, but the army does have a quantity of AP and AT mines in storage.

  4. #4
    Closed Account Docman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    "That would be an ecuminical matter"
    Posts
    4,554
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    So my question have we ever used landmines or their far more PC name nowadays area denial weapons.
    I have a vague memory of seeing a picture in Ft Davis of a claymore-esque device on a tripod and I believe it was the engineers (PDF side) that had it.

    Anyhelp would be appreciated.
    My understanding is that we do have command detonated mines, claymore type (but not actual Claymores). They are not classed as Mines by the DF so we can claim to have no mines. Being command detonated, they are skirting the edge of what a mine is and isn't.

    Basically,
    The Convention on the Prohibition of the Use, Stockpiling, Production and Transfer of Anti-Personnel Mines and on their Destruction (or Ottawa Treaty), which Ireland is a signatory to, bans us from having or using mines. However the Claymore, in its command detonation mode, is not classed as a mine under the treaty. It is a mine when set up with a trip wire.

    So, it is likely that the Claymore type device the DF use works only in command detonation mode and therefore is not classed as a mine under the treaty.

    AT Mines are not covered under the Treaty as they cannot, normally, be detonated by the average human.
    Last edited by Docman; 20th September 2008 at 23:18.

  5. #5
    Retired sapper smegers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Limerick
    Posts
    354
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only anti personal mines are covered by the Ottawa treaty, and even then we are allowed to keep some for training purposes. A claymore is a mine its a directional fragmentation mine, and yes we do have mines.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottawa_Treaty

  6. #6
    Lt General Barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Rancho Relaxo
    Posts
    4,704
    Post Thanks / Like
    So basically, we have some of the "nasty" type that lie dormant for years and blow off an innocent person's leg........but only so we can train people to find and defuse said items. We don't go laying minefields around the place.

  7. #7
    Retired sapper smegers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Limerick
    Posts
    354
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty much.

  8. #8
    Custom User Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,349
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    So basically, we have some of the "nasty" type that lie dormant for years and blow off an innocent person's leg........but only so we can train people to find and defuse said items. We don't go laying minefields around the place.
    Quote Originally Posted by smegers View Post
    Pretty much.

    WRONG. They won't lie dormant for years because they would not be used in such a manner..

    And I'm not going into how the DF would employ them as its OPSEC.

  9. #9
    Retired sapper smegers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Limerick
    Posts
    354
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wasn't stating that that if we were to lay a minefield we would just leave them there, I was just saying that we have a small number of AP mines expressly for training.

  10. #10
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    22,022
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is Government policy for the DF not to deploy AP mines that are activated by the vicitim and has been for a good while (thats in the public domain).

    I very much doubt the DF has every deployed them operationally.

  11. #11
    CQMS
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Mckee
    Posts
    132
    Post Thanks / Like
    In the church in McKee there is a memorial to a number of soldiers who were killed in an anti tank mine accident in the thirties or forties as i recall
    Religion is like a puddle thinking that the hole in the ground that it sits in is so perfect for it that some higher being must have created it

  12. #12
    Lt Colonel Connaught Stranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Town of Deva, Transylvania Romania
    Posts
    2,200
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Commando69 View Post
    In the church in McKee there is a memorial to a number of soldiers who were killed in an anti tank mine accident in the thirties or forties as i recall

    The incident you are referring to happened in the Glen of Imaal, in 1941.

    When a section being taught how to deploy anti-tank mines, and were gathered around the

    instructor and device when it prematurely exploded killing 16

    May they + Rest In Peace +

    injuring more of whom 4 were blinded.


    There is now a monument erected in the Glen to this incident.

    At no time has the I.D.F deployed landmines on / along the border or around installations.

    The same goes for Irish troops in U.N.I.F.I.L.

    Connaught Stranger.

  13. #13
    Searcher :) Joshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Dún Laoghaire
    Posts
    3,262
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Connaught Stranger View Post
    The incident you are referring to happened in the Glen of Imaal, in 1941.

    When a section being taught how to deploy anti-tank mines, and were gathered around the

    instructor and device when it prematurely exploded killing 16

    May they + Rest In Peace +

    injuring more of whom 4 were blinded.


    There is now a monument erected in the Glen to this incident.



    Connaught Stranger.


    http://www.irishwarmemorials.ie/html...l.php?show=348

  14. #14
    2/Lt Bosco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Tipperary
    Posts
    1,649
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cool lads cheers for the info.
    Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

  15. #15
    "Nice ass, Samson..." mutter nutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Banner
    Posts
    1,716
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smegers View Post

    This right?
    I'm not sure if landmines have been used operationally, but the army does have a quantity of AP and AT mines in storage.
    Swedish FFV 013 ADM?....didn't they develope that for use against helicopters orginally?
    Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

    Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

  16. #16
    Recruit
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The Kingdom!!
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not that i know of, but they are certainly used in that role...
    Apparently they've been most affective at 'scaring' pilots into flying high enough to avoid them, but then high enough to be picked up by SAMs of various types. APPARENTLY - i'm not saying its gospel, so don't go to town on it.
    In a more 'conventional' role, they're a-hell-of-a lot more powerful than the bog standard claymore. we're talking King Tiger meets Sherman territory!!
    But again, they're an area defense mine, activated by some version of remote control. Basically they're used to watch your flanks, escape roots, generally an ass covering force multiplier!!

  17. #17
    BQMS
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    894
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, was in Oslo last week and made my way into the Armed Forces museum where there was a UN Lebanon exhibition and I came across this Irish Army pamphlet, thought you might like to see it.n869570693_4950736_3873.jpg
    Last edited by Rooster; 21st November 2008 at 19:33.

  18. #18
    Custom User Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,349
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    Hey guys, was in Oslo last week and made my way into the Armed Forces museum where there was a UN Lebanon exhibition and I came across this Irish Army pamphlet, thought you might like to see it.n869570693_4950736_3873.jpg

    Its an information booklet given during the UNIFIL era( I have at least 3 in my locker) to help Identify IED's/UXO's in South Lebanon.

  19. #19
    Searcher :) Joshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Dún Laoghaire
    Posts
    3,262
    Post Thanks / Like
    and its in a museum now....

  20. #20
    Custom User Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,349
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    and its in a museum now....

    No doubt handed in by some one who served in the Leb who got it as a mingy from an Irish Soldier. It still has useful information.

  21. #21
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    22,022
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just came across this http://www.mineaction.org/stockpiles.asp?c=&pg=3
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Ireland
    Latest Article 7 reference: Apr 30, 2008

    Number of stockpiled mines held: 0

    Number of mines retained: 70

    Deadline for stockpile destruction: Mar 01, 2003

    Types of stockpiled mines held:
    N/A

    Stockpiles Destroyed:
    Art. 7 of reference Nbr. of mines destroyed Types of mines destroyed
    Aug 16, 1999 0 N/A
    Apr 14, 2000 0 N/A
    Jun 18, 2001 0 N/A
    Mar 15, 2002 0 N/A
    Jun 25, 2003 9 5BB33
    Apr 30, 2004 13 5BB33
    Jun 14, 2005 18 5BB33
    Apr 20, 2006 8 5BB33
    Apr 30, 2007 2 SB-33
    Apr 30, 2008 5 SB-33

  22. #22
    C/S
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3,319
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by Victor; 20th July 2009 at 02:41.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

  23. #23
    Jedi Darksaga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Dark Side.
    Posts
    1,865
    Post Thanks / Like
    Same reason as why we have most of our weapons.

    "just incase"
    Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

  24. #24
    Closed knocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    966
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do the corps of engineers train in laying and clearing minefields ?

  25. #25
    Retired sapper smegers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Limerick
    Posts
    354
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah they do all to NATO spec.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •