Sgt Shay Fingleton (R I P)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shay, Shaggy, was a friend and comrade.

He will be missed by many members of Tpt coy 62 RLSB.

Some of you know of the "book" that kept the record of borrowings and pay back. I was a bit of fun between friends. No one could have suspected that the last entry would have been made by now.

I am not sure but I think Shaggy was only 44.

RIP

PS thanks for heads up on change of arrangements.
    Last edited by Vickers; 31 December 2008, 01:39.
    Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

Rip
      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Seamus (Shay) Fingleton

Late of the Reserve Defence Force, Rathmines Barracks. Reposing Friday morning, from 10am at the Larry Massey Funeral Home, 100 Terenure Road North, followed by removal to The Church of the Annunciation, Rathfarnham for 12.30pm Mass. Burial afterwards in Mount Venus Cemetery. Family flowers only. Donations, if desired, to the R.N.L.I.

These are the revised arrangements for those wishing to pay their respects.....

Worked with Shay in his 62CIS role , an absolute gentleman, and a superb training instructor
        The Corps will not be the same for his loss....
        Deepest Condolences to his family and many friends

Comment

RIP, a true gentleman and soldier. will be missed by all.

will be in uniform on friday to pay my respects
          Last edited by Vickers; 1 January 2009, 03:36.

Comment

R.i.p.
            What do you mean abandon ship
            Are they taking requests?

Comment

Seamus was a great guy to work with,he was an enthusastic and proud member of our Defence forces,
              Ar dheis De go raibh a anam dilis.

Comment

Rest in peace
                "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Great turn out for a great man

Great to see so many comrades from the country units up to pay their respects. a credit to themselves and their units
                  Last edited by Vickers; 2 January 2009, 21:48.

Comment

First camp was with Shay in Tralee in 81, will be sadly missed..

Comment

Shay, my friend and comrade, even though I had the great honour of carrying your remains to their final resting place, I still expected you to arrive late on Tuesday night. You did not and you were not in the mess for our usual natter on some technical point or other, a whinge over grat payments or whatever. Go well my friend to the After World where I am sure the other warriors will make a place for you in their mess. Fix that comms link that has been down for so long and when you are ready open up in CW on channel 1, cipher key 3, transec group 5 and if successful we can ZBI for another shittalk. 11 Sigs and 62CIS have never has such a great loss.
                      Last edited by Laoch; 20 January 2009, 08:17.

Comment

I knew Seamus through business over the years, as he worked in the marine electronics sector. Based in Dublin, he was known as a very capable and a leading electronics technician throughout the country. He was very quick to offer advise when one needed help with a technical query, especially within the trade. Colleagues here in Cork were very shocked to hear of his passing. A very honourable gentleman.

Thanks for all your help, Seamus. Rest well.

Comment

Reminder that Shay’s month’s mind is tomorrow 28/02/2009 at 1845 hrs Rathfarnham Church (opposite the Yellow House pub).

Shay was a good friend; it is very hard to accept that he is dead and died in his sleep. I think about him several times every day and keep expecting to meet him in the unit lines or in the mess afterwards. I knew him for a long time and always enjoyed his being in his company while doing RDF activities or socially.

He was one of the first members of the RDF whose qualifications were recognised by achieving Tech 4 grading. He is a major loss to the unit as his technical skills were excellent. He served in 11 Field Signals FCA, 62 CIS and integrated with 2 CIS. His funeral was very well attended by both RDF and PDF personnel. It is hard for his comrades to accept his death but it must be harder for his family and relatives. I find it very difficult to use the past tense when referring to Shay.

One thing that did come to mind was that I was glad to have made a will six to eight weeks before he died. I would recommend highly that people make a will, one never knows when it could happen.

Message ends out
                          Last edited by Bayern Fan; 27 February 2009, 13:33.
                          Fail to prepare, prepare to fail

Comment

I would like to advise that anybody that knew Shay that there is a session organised for 27/12/2010 in the Lower Deck Portobello from 2030hrs onwards to remember the man. PM me if necessary.

Comment

I would like to advise that anybody that knew Shay that there is a session organised for 27/12/2011 in the Lower Deck Portobello from 2030hrs onwards to remember the man. PM me if necessary.

Comment

Rip

Comment

Working...
                                X