Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think of Irish people joining the BA?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have to complete x amount of Courses or overseas deployment to remain serving?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• In terms of courses to complete , each arm has its own courses to qualify men for their appointments in rank. Overseas deployments are the best way to tick alot of boxes - knowledge of employment, flexibility, man management etc. When it comes to our annual reports -its always harder to compete against someone who has a write up from an overseas deployment.
      Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier - Samuel Johnson

Comment

• thats right - there is no 'minimum requirement' to go overseas and you can usually see the 'war dodgers' on Remembrance Day or at any Regimental Dinner when we put our medals on and some seem slightly deficient of any brass however they still get promoted because they are probably good at their trade just havent been on many operations.

as knocker mentioned - the 'write up on operations' is an 'Op Insert' - usually a one page report written by your immediate Officer Commanding - stating the position you were in, your performance in that position and any potential they can see for you. this is then added to your confidential report and seen by those who decide on who gets promoted that year. it's a great way of getting a lot of 'ticks in the box' if you perform well and to be honest - most of us do well on operations. my Op Inserts for Bosnia and Iraq definitely had an influence on my promotions in the past.

so long as you promote every couple of years you will be fine - and ive yet to meet an irishman or any other keen soldier who can't make the grade. its not mission impossible - its just stuff you should be capable as you progress through the army and improve with experience.

its a good system even if CLM is a bitch!

RGJ
        RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

• the fact that some Irish lads remains at the same Rank

throughout his career is down to a few factors

you lads have a 22 year career cycle meaning that

if someone gets promoted BSM with 20 years servic e

they only in reality have 2 more years to serve

this constant promotion means that your lads are not like us with 55 year old Sgts and 40 year old Cpls

etc

because a lad isnt a CS by the age of 16 doesnt make him a bad soldie or a sponger.

its only in the recent past that Soldiers from the BA are getting the row of 40 medals on their chest

syndrome- there are Soldiers over there who went everywhere and did everything and only had 2

medals
          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• hedgehog

because of the longer working life in the irish army, does this lead to a "dead mans shoes" situation ?
            Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier - Samuel Johnson

Comment

• Originally posted by knocker View Post
              hedgehog

because of the longer working life in the irish army, does this lead to a "dead mans shoes" situation ?
              Spot on Knocker

in fact I look at a guy every day who has the vacancy I want and think

die or retire you bastard

well I hope he doesnt die because he is a good bloke and I would have to do his

bearer party

Comment

• hedgehog

Sorry to hear that, i would thought that recent changes in the army would have included promotions. The army here is introducing extending our working lives - its not across the board but its a step in the right direction.

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                  its only in the recent past that Soldiers from the BA are getting the row of 40 medals on their chest syndrome- there are Soldiers over there who went everywhere and did everything and only had 2

medals
                  hedge - i had 5 medals on my chest before Iraq or Afghanistan ever kicked off - and you can only get one for each of those conflicts unless you get a VC or GC so recent conflicts havent added many medals to our chests.

its hard to find a soldier with more than 8 medals.

and yeah there are guys who will do their time and never get promoted and they may be Guru's at their trade but yes - they are slowing down your promotion and career prospects.

we dont have that problem - i mean anyone not in a battalion can expect to be posted to another unit every to 2 to 3 years and some battalions still 'rotate' and if they dont then men get posted within the Regiment.

our system is proven and better for the soldiers concerned.

RGJ
                  RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

• our system is proven and better for the soldiers concerned.

I like our system

the same Unit throughout my career

Viking through and through

Comment

• to give my thrupence, i dont mind irish joining up, most do it to get some money and the others do it for adventure, stuff that religious crap!
                      I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                      Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                      Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                      And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                      With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                      He put a bullet through his brain.
                      And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                      Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                      Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                      The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• heres your thrupence back

Comment

• hedgehog

do you mind my asking - what branch of the army are you in ?

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                            I like our system

the same Unit throughout my career

Viking through and through
                            ive lived (permanently with my family) in 4 different countries and moved about 10 times!

it's still exciting!

RGJ

PS - British Army in Afghanistan on News at Ten on ITV tonight - tune in now
                            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                              you think the Army wants a 'high turn over of recruits' to get shot at by the Taliban?

you haven't a clue if you think that's why we recruit and to be honest i find it insulting and dis-respectful - our figures for recruitment have improved but haven't changed drastically just because of Iraq / Afghan.

we have lost a few hundred soldiers in both conflicts but we haven't recruited to fill these boots - if we did we would have enough recruits in one month to replace those that have been lost.

the last 2 British Soldiers to be killed were both Officers - not recruits.

as for the IDF offering a career? 3 of my mates who joined the Irish Army when I joined the British Army are all still 3 Star Privates while EVERYONE who i joined the British Army with and is still serving is a Senior NCO.

we get rid of people if they don't make the grade in their career - we don't let people stay in rank and hold others back.

it's expected that with performance tempered by merit and time served that soldiers will promote - that's a real career.

i'm not having a go at the IDF or anyone in it - yes it is a great little army and respect to fellow soldiers but Paul G you seriously need to think about what you say before posting comments like that on here.

RGJ
                              Ah, actually i think that the british army doesn't always treat its soldiers very well, and that comes from experience, having worked in HMP Wandsworth, there is a significantly high percentage of ex servicemen prisoners in custody at the moment, according to NAPO as high as 10%.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

I would have said from experience that that figure is about right, (Although i will admit I met a former viking there whom Hedgehog probably knows)
                              Last edited by paul g; 23 June 2009, 22:12.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                                ive lived (permanently with my family) in 4 different countries and moved about 10 times!

it's still exciting!

RGJ

PS - British Army in Afghanistan on News at Ten on ITV tonight - tune in now
                                Thats a lot of moving

stick in the mud that I am I like our system- good luck to all others though

Comment

Working...
                                X