My Fitness Logs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

17/2/2009

Best laid plans! Had planned to go out again for another 5 miles last night but friend came round that I hadn't seen in 5 months so had to catch up.

Went out again this morning.

Outward leg 2.6miles in 19min 31 sec.

Again some light stretching and recovery for 5-7min.

Return leg 2.6 miles in 20 min 37 sec.

Started a bit more aggressive from the start, just lengthening the stride and more of a determined effort. Never really came out of my comfort zone (not making myself puke) for the 5 miles but my legs let me know later on this morning that they realise they're going to be punished for a while.

Looking to start pushing out to 2 x 3 mile runs morning and evening by weekend and do them sub 50min. Next week is going to be increased excercise with combined swimming and circuits during the day.

Depending on how I'm going over the next 8-10 days might start adding a pack and weight to the runs.

Again, Thanks to Daz for the rekindling of getting fit!
    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Well, Zulu that settles it, you are the guy I am using for the Quote.

Just remember, there's always someone out there who's fitter than you, stronger than you and faster than you. While you're wondering where to find some motivation, they're out training.
      It's gonna be you I am trying to at least get on Par with, (or I might just break your leg...lol)

Anyway, today.

Tuesday - 17 February 2009

Run
      Distance: 2.6 miles.
      Time: 22:16 mins
      Details: Today was an easy enough run, but I think I took off too fast at the start. I was breathing extremely heavily after just 700 meters, but then I slowed the pace slightly and continued on to around the 1.7 mile mark, when I had to walk for a bit out of sheer Fatigue, After I started running again I got around Halfway through the second leg and had to walk another very short distance, then ran to the finish. I realise this is a slower time than my fastest, but I do know the places I lost time on, and will try to improve that.
      Link - http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/ireland/cork/299080166361 *route Taken Backwards*

Truck Driver, YOu are twice my age and getting times that are faster than mine!!! Nicely done mate!!!! Really, that's feckin brilliant!!!

Steyr Fan, you are the same age as my Dad!!! Yet he cannot run 500 meters!! Not at all! Yer doin fantastic ould fella!!! I get that pain too in my lower back, I don't know what it is, but I just run through it and eventually it goes away for me, I wouldn't advise someone who has used their bones more than me to do so though,

Thanks a million for the inspiration lads.
      Gav.
      Last edited by Dazzler; 17 February 2009, 13:57.
      I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

Daz dont worry about speed that will eventually come

try and build up stamina and endurance first

and rememeber slowly slowly catchy woman

pick a start line and walk to it - for at least 5 minuets- dont just take off on a gallop

start very very slow then build it up and finish very very slow and again walk from the finish point as well

make sure you stretch well after your exercise

try not to walk any part of teh run- if your tom trollixed then slwo right down

even if your slow right down pace is slower than walking - its psycholigical

when you get out there think of all the people you know- dad/teacher/boss/uncle/cousins/mates etc

and think how many of them wouldnt be able to do what your doing

that you find will give you a spring in the step

even if you come in on your chin strap after crawling home

at least you took the hand of your nads and had the bollox to get out and do something

well done
        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Thanks Hedgie, you are a right proper motivator aren't you!!!

In WW1, you would have had the lads "up and Over" in a second!!!

Comment

Me and my size 9s

Comment

was late to circuits last night... had to cycle like a loon beat my best time Havelock Square to UCD

9 mins 58 seconds cycling then straight into warmups and the instructor was on a boxing , sprinting and pushups thing.... 60 minutes later like a rag into the showers then cycle home

back to normal running tonight hopefully.

T
              "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

This thread is making me realise that i will have to be able to do a certain time running for the cadets. Ive always been able to run for ages but never had much speed so thanks Dazzler your helping me out bigtime!!

Well havent been training much alot since before christmas because ive been cutting down on judo with the whole leaving cert this year so wasnt expecting a great time for the first few weeks. Not really sure of what fast is because anytime i used to run was mainly just to lose weight for judo so never really timed myself, so ill let ye judge my time.

Went out last night and did 2.8 miles in just under 20mins. With this as a marker hoping to get it down to about 19.30 in 2 weeks. Im guessing this isnt good enough for the cadets so anyone any advice on what to aim for?

Comment

Originally posted by jawalsh View Post
                  This thread is making me realise that i will have to be able to do a certain time running for the cadets. Ive always been able to run for ages but never had much speed so thanks Dazzler your helping me out bigtime!!

Well havent been training much alot since before christmas because ive been cutting down on judo with the whole leaving cert this year so wasnt expecting a great time for the first few weeks. Not really sure of what fast is because anytime i used to run was mainly just to lose weight for judo so never really timed myself, so ill let ye judge my time.

Went out last night and did 2.8 miles in just under 20mins. With this as a marker hoping to get it down to about 19.30 in 2 weeks. Im guessing this isnt good enough for the cadets so anyone any advice on what to aim for?
                  Don't the cadet's only need 1.5 miles in the 11:30 mins???

If I am right then you seem to be well on you way and passed that mark!!! With those time's you could probably bring your 1.5 miles to Sub-9 mins.

Comment

The fitness in the Cadet interviews, while important to pass (obviously) aint the be all and end all. When I went for the Cadets last year the guys doing the counting for situps and push ups told us to stop after the required amount. The run is a personal thing so by all means go as fast as you can.

17/02/09

Went swimming today with my friends father (ex champion swimmer) who pretty much almost drowned me in the pool and hes 60!

Swam about 800 m but my good they were done quick. Had to use the steps to pull my body out of the pool.

Missing out on tonights run as I have to catch up with some family that I haven't seen in a while. Oh well, tomorrow!

Daz,

Their is always a faster, stronger, fitter person out there. The trick is to be the fastest, strongest and as fit as YOU can be yourself. Some people are just going to be better no matter what. Keep up the effort!
                    Last edited by ZULU; 17 February 2009, 19:38.
                    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

The fitness in the Cadet interviews, while important to pass (obviously) aint the be all and end all. When I went for the Cadets last year the guys doing the counting for situps and push ups told us to stop after the required amount. The run is a personal thing so by all means go as fast as you can.
                      Oh right, i was stressing myself for no reason. Somehow i got the idea that id have to get an athletes time!

With those time's you could probably bring your 1.5 miles to Sub-9 mins
                      Thats something to aim for anyway! Daz seriously man your doing well and dont let anything stop ya, always aim for 1 step further than you think you can go and you make the time with no hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzler View Post
                        Steyr Fan, you are the same age as my Dad!!! Yet he cannot run 500 meters!! Not at all! Yer doin fantastic ould fella!!! I get that pain too in my lower back, I don't know what it is, but I just run through it and eventually it goes away for me, I wouldn't advise someone who has used their bones more than me to do so though,
                        Gav.
                        Who are you calling ould fella? Cheeky pup.

& please do tell us what or how you've used you bones? What do you do with your bones?:confused:

Comment

Originally posted by Steyr Fan View Post
                          Who are you calling ould fella? Cheeky pup.
                          He's right though, isn't he ???
                          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                            He's right though, isn't he ???
                            Don't you start, you're no spring chicken yourself

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzler View Post
                              Don't the cadet's only need 1.5 miles in the 11:30 mins???

If I am right then you seem to be well on you way and passed that mark!!! With those time's you could probably bring your 1.5 miles to Sub-9 mins.
                              Yup 11:30 is correct as of the last competition and tonight I wheezed around the track 6 and a bit times in UCD in 11:00. For the record I'm not in great shape and really I'm surprised the time limit is that high.

Comment

Lads dont focus on speed

focus on stamina and endurance

think of it as training for your first time with a woman

stamina and endurance will always win over speed

When you train - say you run 3 miles

run fast (not flat out) for the point 1.5 miles to 2 miles

then every time you increase your training distance 3miles to 3.5 miles

increase the fast bit by another little bit

pick a suitable area with fix reference points and use that.

When you are starting off training- never ever ever ever ever bring a watch with you

when you finish your run

kick into your press ups and sit ups straight away

keep it up

This bit is purely for motivation

you shower of sandbag shites couldnt run as fast as a nun who is in an enclosed contemplative order for the last 25 years- switch off Jeremy Kyle and put on those nikes and hit the street

Comment

Working...
                                X