My Fitness Logs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ODIN View Post
    Napp, Re the Kettlebell Study, I honestly don't know if they did or did not run during the study. One would be lead to believe that they did not, however, as you stated, the test group were the best of the best and may well have ran. The fact remains, even assuming that they all ran at some point, that the Kettlebell group won out in the end.
    I absolutely agree.

Re Crossfit, I have done one Crossfit session in the US. My opinion, it is an amalgamation of different fitness concepts, from very technical Olympic weights, TRX, Running, calisthenics etc. 1 But at the end of the day it is just a High Intensity Circuit Training session that uses high reps. The people I saw doing in the US were in great shape, but you do not have to subscribe to the 2 Crossfit mentality to get those results. 3 What I dislike about Crossfit is that it is grossly over priced, but it is marketed extremely well.

Not sure about the chest shaving element of Crossfit. But your right about the fake pull ups, kipping does not count as a pull up, but it goes back to their mentality of high reps
    1: Exactly, but it apparently makes you... ELITE
    2: The Crossfit mentality is horrible; You have to become arrogant, close-minded, and unable to fathom that the crossfit system is to label everything already available as CROSSFIT.
    3: Have to agree. What I particularly detest is the Crossfit 'bias' system. So, you wanna play american football? Crossfit Football. Want to be an endurance athlete? Crossfit 'Endurance' bias. Etc etc. So they market it as one system - crossfit - but then change it to suit whatever they are marketing it as. Eventually, every 'bias' will just be every other program that was already out there, but with one token crossfit metcon thrown in!

And as for their "elite athletes" at the crossfit games... How many of them got to that level of ability through crossfit? NONE! They were already at world standard at their respective games, and then took up crossfit.

Looking at Zulus logging, I'd say he's in better shape (mentally, physically) than the upper tier of crossfitters!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post
      I'd very much agree. There's lads who can run 5 minute miles and that's great and all but start throwing kit onto them and see what happens.

It's very important to find the balance, a mix between endurance and strength and conditioning.
      I agree too, that's why I run with a daysack every time now in a small effort to condition my body to carrying extra weight. If I thought I could get away with it without looking like a dick, I'd like to run with a loaded chest rig too, to condition myself to the breathing with the weight and constriction around my chest.
      I suppose as a civilian, one of the better ways to train for combat would be to approach your run like Parkour lite, rather than just running the road, find walls to climb, steps to dash up, railings to jump; I'm not saying start somersaulting around the gaff, just relatively basic stuff that'll challenge your other muscle groups. See the world as your assault course. As I'm getting older though I'm losing my confidence to launch over a gate, and take the slower, more methodical approach to the task; so I suppose something like what I've described would be good for bringing my confidence back as well as my fitness. Although that said, I'd want to find somewhere relatively isolated initially so I don't look like a complete tool jumping over things and stacking it.

Never worked out with kettlebells. Is it really that good? I saw Tescos selling 12Kg Kettlebells, are they really worth the investment? I really need to work my upperbody as that's where I'm weakest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Napp View Post

And as for their "elite athletes" at the crossfit games... How many of them got to that level of ability through crossfit? NONE! They were already at world standard at their respective games, and then took up crossfit.

Looking at Zulus logging, I'd say he's in better shape (mentally, physically) than the upper tier of crossfitters!

I know of some folks in the US who use Crossfit as part of their workout, they're in the upper tier of their profession(Which is the military) and, with all respect to Zulu, I very much doubt he's as fit as the men I'm referring too.

While I wouldn't advocate workouts based purely on Crossfit, there's nothing wrong with including it in your general workout regime.

Comment

• Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
          Never worked out with kettlebells. Is it really that good? I saw Tescos selling 12Kg Kettlebells, are they really worth the investment? I really need to work my upperbody as that's where I'm weakest.
          I got a 16 kg kettlebell this time last year have to say it is the best piece of fitness equipment I have ever brought . you might not be long outgrowing the 12kg for the more basic moves .
          "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

• I have a pair of competition 16 kgs kettlebells, after 20 mins of training I am bucketing sweat, after 45, I am fit to drop. Take a look at youtube videos and look for kettlebell Clean, Jerk, Snatch, Turkish get up, Russian Twist.
            If you are looking at buying one, I would look for a 16 kg, its the best starting weight for men. Have a look at competition kettlebells HERE, as the size of the bell stays the same regardless of the weight, while if you go for a cast iron, the size changes as the weight gets higher.
            What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• We're talking a lot of conditioning and cardio here. Does anyone here work at a strength program?

Comment

We're talking a lot of conditioning and cardio here. Does anyone here work at a strength program?
                I was using Starting Strength toward the end of last year. I found it to be a good base for getting used to, as well as seeing the benefits of compound lifts rather than isolation work.

Back at conditioning work at the moment as I'm back in pre season training with my GAA team. I'd imagine I'll be back focusing on some more strength work as I approach the middle of the year, as I've my eye on a Recce Course.

Comment

• You're the perfect person to ask this question so - did you find getting stuck into a strength program impeded any endurance work you were doing?

Comment

• Orienteering, Donadea today.... good run in a busy forest. Kettlebells does seem to be the trendy thing at the moment, doesn't it ? The OH has just bought one.

Throw some weight into a pack and head up the hills.

PS Well done to those DF members who completed the Art O'Neill challenge on the 7th. ( and didnt' bother telling me, I'd have loved to have a go ) , 55k from Dublin Castle to Baravore

We are going to have to set up some kind of sort of meet up.

Is anyone interested/involved in a team for the JK ?
                    Last edited by trellheim; 23 January 2011, 17:40.
                    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

You're the perfect person to ask this question so - did you find getting stuck into a strength program impeded any endurance work you were doing?
                      No, I was only lifting three times a week so it's not like the strength work took up all my time.

Personally I felt it improved my overall performance when on Exercise. As I've already said, it's great being able to run 30 minute 10k's or whatever but it's no use if you don't have a strength base to work from.

It's not 5 or 6 minute miles that will help you carry your buddy 100 minutes when he's in full battle rattle. Personally, I feel the DF is far too focused on the running side of things, so much so that it's almost as if it's not even military style training at times.

While I still consider myself a good runner, I've started to realise that I don't need to focus purely on being able to run sub 6 minute miles, which is a standard I was at last year.

In my opinion, what's needed is a good cardio base but there needs to be a focus on functional strength, conditioning and being able to operate in quick bursts of energy while wearing 50-60lbs of kit, if not more. Unfortunately, it seems the DF is happy to continue along the route of a 2 mile run, push ups and sit ups is a good indicator of someone's ability to perform in the military.

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                        Orienteering, Donadea today.... good run in a busy forest. Kettlebells does seem to be the trendy thing at the moment, doesn't it ? The OH has just bought one.

Throw some weight into a pack and head up the hills.

PS Well done to those DF members who completed the Art O'Neill challenge on the 7th. ( and didnt' bother telling me, I'd have loved to have a go ) , 55k from Dublin Castle to Baravore

We are going to have to set up some kind of sort of meet up.

Is anyone interested/involved in a team for the JK ?
                        JK?

Comment

• one of the biggest orienteering events in the world, can't remember the last time it was in NI.
                          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                            PS Well done to those DF members who completed the Art O'Neill challenge on the 7th. ( and didnt' bother telling me, I'd have loved to have a go )
                            Cheers, and I'm sure I told you about us doing that at the last drinks session.

Comment

No, I was only lifting three times a week so it's not like the strength work took up all my time.

Personally I felt it improved my overall performance when on Exercise. As I've already said, it's great being able to run 30 minute 10k's or whatever but it's no use if you don't have a strength base to work from.
                              I agree with you, strength is a while other necessary attribute to being good all round. I just find that it's impossible to keep my level of conditioning (endurance, as well as sprint) whilst deadlifting and squatting during the week!

Recovery is a bitch!

In my opinion, what's needed is a good cardio base but there needs to be a focus on functional strength, conditioning and being able to operate in quick bursts of energy while wearing 50-60lbs of kit, if not more.
                              What would you recommend to someone who was getting ready for bootcamp?

Comment

The DF has this odd fixation with thinking a 2 mile run, push ups and sit ups is a significant indication of someone's ability to do the job. Although that leads into another discussion about putting together new IT's etc.

People starting out should focus on running obviously, along with a proper strength and conditioning routine.
                                don't worry mate we have exactly the same thing - in a couple of different guises over the years. there are some lads who just can't run fast yet they can tab for miles with a bergen on their back

for a while our similar fitness test to your 2 miler became an 'assessment' which you technically couldn't fail but now it's back to being a test again and some lads do fail - particularly soldiers returning from operations where they have been able to tab for miles carrying full kit and get stuck into fire-fights, they simply just haven't been able to train for the speed required for such a test yet that have just completed 6 months of combat in which the same tests are supposed to accredit them for.

that said - i guess we do need a 'benchmark' to assess soldiers and a quick 20 minutes in the gym followed by running a couple of miles in light order gives everyone a result the commanders can assess their troops by.

it's barking mad really when you have fast lads who can't do the job and slow lads who can - so now we have introduced new 'Operational Fitness Tests' and more emphasis is being put on those instead.
                                RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Working...
                                X