No announcement yet.

My Fitness Logs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People starting out should focus on running obviously, along with a proper strength and conditioning routine.
    Whoops, seems my question has been answered already. I'm gonna take a few of Zulus workouts and do them once or twice to do something different for conditioning. Right now I'm hating my conditioning sessions.

Comment

• IT's done for another year.

Grade 1's across the board, I'll take that.

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post

PS Well done to those DF members who completed the Art O'Neill challenge on the 7th. ( and didnt' bother telling me, I'd have loved to have a go ) , 55k from Dublin Castle to Baravore
        Its an interesting experience.... I did it in a reasonably decent time without any prior training, There was a fair DF representation. Hopefully its on again next year!
        But there's no danger
        It's a professional career
        Though it could be arranged
        With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
        If you're out of luck you're out of work
        We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

• I am an idiot sometimes!

Today I recce'd a new training playground, 5-10 minute drive from the office in the hills.

I rocked up at the site, got out the car, pack on, checked the map, set the GPS, banged on the music and away I went. Big mistake! I should have warmed up first, within 10 minutes of running mainly uphill my lungs were burning. I was knackered already. Feeling a little annoyed that I didn't warm up before starting and not wanting to stop, I broke into a walk. The hill had already kicked my arse! Eejit!

So I walked a good bit of the route, taking in the scenery, catching my breath, and taking on water. Not knowing exactly how far it was, I broke into another run and took it handy around the course. The circuit was about 3.38km, so I thought I'd give the hill another go before calling it a day. The second time around went better for me, although I still found myself tired and breaking into a walk midway up.

I was suitably tired afterwards, I hadn't planned to go out and gun it, so not too worried about my time (6.77Km in 45.41 minutes.). The paths were gravel tracks. I loved the route and plan to use it regularly now for training. There's lots of paths shooting off the main track which looking at Google Earth will make the run much more interesting.

I hadn't run the last week after breaking my finger, not sure why that stopped me running, I just never got around to it I suppose; so was glad to get back out there.

Comment

• Went for the hill again today. My focus today was to complete two laps of the hill without breaking my stride into a walk, which I succeeded in doing.
            I took the time to warm up before the run and then ran the hill at a very handy pace.
            Today I also changed my pack. I usually run with a civvy pack with a few weights wrapped in bubble wrap whilst I'm cutting about the business park, but seeing as the hill is fairly secluded, I decided to run with my proper army daysack today, packed as per CEFO. So I had a Goretex jacket, weapon cleaning kits, Warm kit, spare baselayer, 3L Camelbak, and then 4Kg of dumbbell weights to simulate ammo/pyro/NVE/batteries etc. I'm guessing it weighed around the 10Kg mark. Will weigh it properly tonight.

With the added weigh, and despite not breaking my stride into a walk, I still only shaved 28 seconds off the last time. But TBH, I wasn't going balls out today, I was more concerned with proving to myself that I had the mental and physical stamina to get around the hill without breaking into a walk.

I'm now hoping to progress my times on the hill from here on out....

Comment

• Good stuff, S&S.

I am doing circuits in the DFTC twice a week for a month to build up strength, and just a couple of runs 3-5km three times a week, so by end of Feb I hope to have lost the bit extra round the waist and have a bit more strength where & when needed.

Am knackered tho after cricuits, but feel good knowing that there is progress.

Jog on..............

Comment

• Originally posted by SwiftandSure
                Just wondering, would running with a pack contribute to any strength training? Or is it only be beneficial for stamina and conditioning?
                No, Strength training is about high power & low repetition. It would help in a small part but it really only beneficial for stamina or endurance - the type of fitness used by the Army.

Comment

• Originally posted by SwiftandSure
                  Fair one Steyr Fan! You'll be fit as a fiddle in no time if you keep that up.

Just wondering, would running with a pack contribute to any strength training? Or is it only be beneficial for stamina and conditioning?
                  As already said, running with a pack is endurance work.

Although I'd still recommend strength work as part of your overall training routine.

Comment

• If you can get to a Circuits session even once a week, it will really help to build up strenght and risistance. The one in the DFPES is open to all Mon Wed & Fri 1930-2010hrs. And good fun at that.

Who says that gettin / staying is shape shouldn't be fun? After all round is a shape, is it not?

Comment

• Originally posted by Steyr Fan View Post
                      If you can get to a Circuits session even once a week, it will really help to build up strenght and risistance. The one in the DFPES is open to all Mon Wed & Fri 1930-2010hrs. And good fun at that.

Who says that gettin / staying is shape shouldn't be fun? After all round is a shape, is it not?
                      Circuit training will help build up muscular endurance, it won't however help you make any large strength gains.

Circuits are great though, they leave you in a bundle.
                      Last edited by Hello Alaska; 9 February 2011, 16:37.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post
                        Circuits are great though, they leave you in a bundle.
                        I feel like a train wreck afterwards.

Comment

If you can get to a Circuits session even once a week, it will really help to build up strenght and risistance. The one in the DFPES is open to all Mon Wed & Fri 1930-2010hrs. And good fun at that.

Hey Steyr Fan, when I was doing them, they only did the Circuits during the early
                          part of the year, and on Tues / Thurs

Have they changed this to all year round, Mon / Wed / Fri ?

If so, this is a very welcome development
                          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                            Hey Steyr Fan, when I was doing them, they only did the Circuits during the early

Not sure if it's all year round, but I will ask on Monday andlet you know.

Savage session last night (circuits) - there must have been 100+ at it, motly civvies but quite a few DF also. It is as hard or as easy as you want it to be - there is no PTI scremaing at you to do it right unless you ask them to , and then I'm sure they will happily oblige. So it is up to yourself to do it right or not. I dont't feel so much like a train wreck today - either it wasn't severe enough (general consensus was that it was!!!) or I cheated (bt I don't think I did) or I am getting just a little bit fitter and more able to do it (which I hope is the case).

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post

The circuits session in the DFPES is on every Mon Wed & Fri 1930 - 2030 all year round, and open to Joe & Jackie Public.

Comment

The circuits session in the DFPES is on every Mon Wed & Fri 1930 - 2030 all year round, and open to Joe & Jackie Public.
                                Thanks Steyr Fan. That's a great development, to be much welcomed

I will definitely be partaking on a regular basis when I (eventually) get home
                                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
                                X