X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distance: 3.73 miles
    Daysack weight: 8.5Kgs
    Time: 32.54
    First run on this route in a couple of weeks (although I did the Bde Orienteering the other week) and I was feeling the burn a bit. I've been eating shite for the last two weeks, and had a huge session back in the UK last weekend. So I'm going to sort my diet out again and eat a bit more healthy with food that gives me a bit more energy. I'm just trying build up my fitness and stamina for the up and coming Easter camp. I'm sure it won't be a week long beasting, but I just don't want to struggle on the fitness side of things.

Comment

• What Easter camp?
      Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something.sigpic

Comment

• Right

I'm on a get fit regime at the moment so I'll be posting in here to shame myself into continuing and getting my time down

went to gym today
        10min warm up on the cross trainer before

distance: 5km run on treadmill
        time: 33:33

I'm both pleased and displeased with the time. I'm happy cos it's the furthest and longest I've ever run for and it's not too disrespectable a time, however, I do feel I'd be a bit quicker in reality. Knowing the time I normally run 1.5 miles in not on a treadmill, I know I'm slower on the treadmill.

Might go somewhere flat and try a real 5km.

ALLLLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSO

I was 1km into the run and my feet started blistering on the insteps..... so of course the natural reaction is to compound the problem by doing 4 extra kms

anyway

other than buying lots more rather expensive socks, does anyone have any ways of bandaging up the bit of the foot along the inside/underside?

anyone got any magic cures for massive blisters so that I'm not out of action for more than a day?
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
        Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
        Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
        Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

• Changing my breakfast / nightcap routine of late.

Now doing 20 plyometric diamond push ups and 20 wide pushups or salamanders quick as I can.

Situps done to fatigue

Finish off with fly my plane or supermans depending on how sore stomach is after situps.

Nice way to wake up / go to sleep

Diamond = finger tips and thumbs touching to form diamond beneath chest

Wide = double shoulder width

Salamanders = alternate left / right hands forward and back (Above head and stomach level in push up position)

Fly my plane = Balance stomach on medicine ball and outstretch arms and legs

Supermans = same as fly plane except lying on floor
          "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• Originally posted by johnny no stars View Post
            other than buying lots more rather expensive socks, does anyone have any ways of bandaging up the bit of the foot along the inside/underside?

anyone got any magic cures for massive blisters so that I'm not out of action for more than a day?
            Well done on the run time mate; I started running 5km a while back with times starting in the early 30s, and soon enough had the time down to around 25 minutes (not exactly olympic standard, but good enough for me).

As for your blisters, I use Compeed blister plasters myself. Fantastic kit. It'll cushion the blister and isn't overly uncomfortable to run on.

Comment

• I went for a 9 mile Hill walk today at a brisk pace. Lasted 3hrs 20 mins, with around 30 mins worth of stops. (Not my pace, we had to wait for other people to catch up.)

I also went for a 2.5 mile run last thursday, but forgot to write about it. I think my time was somewhere around 21 mins. Maybe a little less.,
              I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

• well done daz. Keep up the good effort. Just reading back over nd the times have improved by loads. went for burn out tonight. 15min on max random hill setting on threadmill. Did 3.2km in 13'20. Straight onto crosstrainer for 10min level 5 keeping heart rate at 170 +. That was tough. Straight onto spinning for 10min at med resistance, till last 30 sec on full. Warm down of 3x20 pushup variations nd pull ups to fatigue straight after. Mnaged 6 good over hand grips. Top off day with night cap routine
                "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• Hey lads, just finished a camp yesterday.

During it I did 2 hillwalks, 1 of which I have documented.

THe second one was yesterday at the Sheeps Head in West Cork. 10 mile's on rough terrain with little visabilty until 3 quarters of the way through. Lasted about 4 hours, good walk, could have been faster but there was someone there who calls a moderate pace 2 miles an hour.
                  I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

• 10min warm up level 8 on cross trainer

5km run on treadmill, an improved time of 32:06 (yay, 1:27 saving on last time and blisters aren't so bad this time)

60 situps
                    "plank" stress position for 3x30seconds with 20second rests between

plus my weights workout done with an extra increment on each

I feel good :D
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
                    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
                    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
                    Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

• Well, after a hellish walk into town, I've decided to stop arsing around and look after my fitness.

First step: quitting cigarettes, now.

Had horrendous pains in my calves on the way in, and I know it's because of the damned smoking. I had to sit down for ten minutes and then they were ok on the way back, but it's not good enough at 25 to be suffering like that, and it'll only get worse if I don't stop it now.

And I was sweating - probably partly due to the drink last night..

I'm going to quit cold turkey.

I try and go for long & brisk walks every day, but it's not enough on its own. Need to stop being lazy and start doing sit ups and push ups.

Just a question for those who have some experience:

I'm coming from this as someone who is probably less fit than many paraplegic bonobo's - would I be better off starting with weights and then moving on to push ups, or should I just go straight to push ups and deal with the embarrassment?

Blargh.

Cheers for any advice

Comment

• eek ! Cardio first, then move onto circuits and resistance
                        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Depends.

If you are overweight / carrying an extra spare, then combined fat burn cardio and strength training are whats needed, coupled with a reduced carb diet.

If you start training in intensive cardio, without strength training then your body will convert your muscle first followed by your fat for energy to keep up the energy levels.

You have to train your muscles (tear them so that they rebuild) will at the same time feeding them what they need (lean protein) coupled with fat burning cardio with just enough fuel to complete the excercise and post recovery

There is huge amounts of info out there on the subject if your really commited

Comment

• I'm just slightly overweight according to the BMI (I know it's not particularly reliable) , but I've been good this year so I'm going back towards what I was before things went a little pear shaped.

My main problem is my lack of fitness. Today was a very nasty shock as I could normally walk for hours and could jog fine.

I'm going to do some research on the best approach to getting my act together and will report back in a month or so

Hopefully that will be a non nicotine stained pym with a reduced arse posting.

Comment

• Dont wait a month to tell us about it.

Take a measurement of yourself now. Waist, Chest, thigh, bicep, weight and write them down. Plan your training and after every time you do write it down on what you did.

Dazzler has done great on this. It becomes a habit after a short time, and if you think your not getting anywhere (because you cant see the the whole picture) just look back over your posts here and see how your improvements are doing.

Comment

• Monday 20 April 2009

DFTC 3.2km run

- and a lovely warm day for it too !!!

Time:

15 minutes 30 seconds

- another 7 seconds off my previous best time !
                                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
                                X