My Fitness Logs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnny no stars View Post
    Granted I don't stretch before my run, other than shaking out the leggies from my warm up (10 minutes on level 8 on the cross trainer, keepng the rate around 65)
    I assume that as an Engineering Student you have heard of Ockhams Razor? Simplest Solution is usually the correct one.

Stretch before your Run, if that doesn't work try something else.
    I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

• Monday 27th 2009

Went for a run around DFTC on a different route this time, and in the rain for
      the first time, too.

DFPES -> Centra Shop -> Uphill to Post Office -> Down the back of the Mil
      College -> around the corner, back up the front of the Mil College ->
      Fire Station -> Dining Hall West -> DFPES

Have not mapped this yet, to check out distance involved, and I forgot to
      bring the damned stopwatch to see how long I was out, but a few months
      ago, I certainly could not have run that distance

Will do the same route again Wed, and let ye know how I go...

JNS, would, at minimum, like the lads are saying, pay more attention to your
      warmups. As Hedge said, warm cold muscles, so do the stretches AFTER your
      treadmill stint, before going for your run

If no improvement after this, as Trellheim says, go and see a doctor, and make
      sure nothing more sinister is going on
      Last edited by Truck Driver; 27 April 2009, 21:48.
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

This reminds me to ask.

Does anyone know how to avoid stitches? I've been getting a terrible stitch around the 2km mark lately, always on my left side, which is odd in itself. Any stretches anyone knows of or what? It's wrecking my runs....
        Do you eat anything before you run?

Comment

• They were talking about this on the radio earlier(Mooney?) Footwear played a large part.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Usually have breakfast an hour or so beforehand which is usually something along the lines of coco-pops or shreddies with rice milk, 2 slices white toast and small glass orange juice. Will try stretching out a bit more before it though. It's the only thing it makes sense for it to be, my runners are in good(ish) nick. Might decrease the intensity of the cross trainer too...
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
            Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
            Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
            Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

• Did a loaded march tonight.

Flat trail. Boots, combats, t-shirt, CEMO - 36kg

8km in 1hr 18min 29sec.

Did it at a very comfortable pace. Felt like I could go on for another while but was getting late for an early start tomorrow. Boots need a bit of attention. First time getting blisters from them. Maybe just needs a bit of oil/polish to loosen them up
              "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Right

I'm on a get fit regime at the moment so I'll be posting in here to shame myself into continuing and getting my time down

went to gym today
                10min warm up on the cross trainer before

distance: 5km run on treadmill
                time: 33:33

I'm both pleased and displeased with the time. I'm happy cos it's the furthest and longest I've ever run for and it's not too disrespectable a time, however, I do feel I'd be a bit quicker in reality. Knowing the time I normally run 1.5 miles in not on a treadmill, I know I'm slower on the treadmill.

Might go somewhere flat and try a real 5km.

ALLLLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSO

I was 1km into the run and my feet started blistering on the insteps..... so of course the natural reaction is to compound the problem by doing 4 extra kms

anyway

other than buying lots more rather expensive socks, does anyone have any ways of bandaging up the bit of the foot along the inside/underside?

anyone got any magic cures for massive blisters so that I'm not out of action for more than a day?
                Expensive socks FTW. I got some ronhills (now branded "Hilly") and they are the biz. They hug your feet and provide loads of cushioning underfoot. By comparison I went out and done 3.98 km tonight (23:46) with liner socks and there was a noticeable difference. Just buy two or three pairs and reserve them exclusively for running. Are the shoes the right size and shape for your foot? You might want an analysis done of your gait and work out whether your over or under pronating if its the instep though - a solution may to be get a semi custom orthotic like a con'formable or superfeet.

Also, people may find www.myasics.co.uk a useful tool - it offers running training programmes from 4km up to marathon distance.
                Last edited by northie; 28 April 2009, 23:43.

Comment

• Originally posted by northie View Post
                  Expensive socks FTW. I got some ronhills (now branded "Hilly") and they are the biz. They hug your feet and provide loads of cushioning underfoot. By comparison I went out and done 3.98 km tonight (23:46) with liner socks and there was a noticeable difference. Just buy two or three pairs and reserve them exclusively for running. Are the shoes the right size and shape for your foot? You might want an analysis done of your gait and work out whether your over or under pronating if its the instep though - a solution may to be get a semi custom orthotic like a con'formable or superfeet.

Also, people may find www.myasics.co.uk a useful tool - it offers running training programmes from 4km up to marathon distance.
                  had all that done. Went running for the bus in bad runners and nearly broke my ankles from it so I think my runners suit me nicely. Might have a look at those socks.. using coolmax socks at the moment, which are lovely and silky (the male ones... the female version is really coarse and painful )
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
                  Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
                  Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
                  Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

• Originally posted by ZULU View Post
                    Did a loaded march tonight.

Flat trail. Boots, combats, t-shirt, CEMO - 36kg

8km in 1hr 18min 29sec.

Did it at a very comfortable pace. Felt like I could go on for another while but was getting late for an early start tomorrow. Boots need a bit of attention. First time getting blisters from them. Maybe just needs a bit of oil/polish to loosen them up
                    Fair play mate! 36kgs isn't an easy lump to lug around. That's what Land Rovers are for in my experience
                    Do you have a nice secluded area where you don't look too out of place throwing on webbing and bergan? Or do you just "Civvy up" your gear as much as possible and tab among the general public? Also, do you carry anything to compensate for the weight of a rifle as well? Or just go out hands-free?
                    I've been doing a few weighted runs myself, just light stuff around 8kgs in a civvy backpack. I wouldn't mind going a bit heavier, and reconditioning myself to comfortably carry CEMO again; but I'd have to find somewhere secluded so as that I don't look a bit silly tearing up and down the pavements of my local area in a DPM battlevest and bergan.

Comment

• Ya, its a small bit heavy alright, but rewarding once you complete the route. The trail is used by loads of people during the day for running but by the time I get to train, its usually around 8 or 9pm. I would know most people to see on the trail running anyway and after the training for the Speed March last year, people are used to the sight

Just take my kit, nothing in my hands. Don't want to look crazy now haha

Just wanted to see how comfortable I was with the kit on again. I haven't had to do something like that in a while, due to being abroad working. Need to make a few adjustments here and there, but overall good.

Pity I cant take the dog with me anymore. He's getting too old and would struggle to keep up after a mile. Need to find something to keep me entertained, as it's quite boring to be honest!!

Body's feeling a bit sore and stiff today. Nothing major. Just letting me know it was excercised good last night. A light stretch and a few light excercises will have that gone soon enough.
                      Last edited by ZULU; 29 April 2009, 07:42.
                      "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
                        .... I wouldn't mind going a bit heavier, and reconditioning myself to comfortably carry CEMO again; but I'd have to find somewhere secluded so as that I don't look a bit silly tearing up and down the pavements of my local area in a DPM battlevest and bergan.
                        Are you anywhere close to the Curragh, seeing as you previously indicated you're in the
                        Midlands ?

The locals are well used to the sight of soldiers humping loads around the Curragh plains !
                        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• I'm afraid I'm nowhere near the Curragh, but that has given me an idea of where I could go CEMO and not look out of place.

Comment

• As per my previous posting, did the same run again, but stretched it out as follows:

DFPES -> Centra Shop -> Uphill to Post Office -> Down the back of the Mil
                            College -> around the corner, back up the front of the Mil College ->
                            Fire Station -> Dining Hall West -> Equitation School -> Logs Base Wkshps ->
                            DFPES

Time:
                            19 mins 49 secs. Am still pinching myself. Was a bit shook at the end, but the
                            MP3 player sure does help !!!

Distance:
                            Unknown - will edit this mail later with the distance involved

EDIT:
                            According to mapmyrun.com, it's 4.4km
                            Last edited by Truck Driver; 30 April 2009, 15:38.

Comment

• Friday 1st May 2009

Work Run: 3.75km

Time: 16 mins 45 secs

Comment

• Went up Carrantuohill today with a few close friends. Nothing too taxing as I had to help with one or two who's first hill walk it was.

Went up with Bergan and 12 kg's, between the switchback and the deveils ladder. (Quite steep and slippy put a good challenging route that made it feel like an accomplishment for the some in the group.

Came back down the Devils ladder.

Total time 6 hours 42min from cronins yard and back.

Comment

Working...
                                X