My Fitness Logs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread is a fantastic idea!

Dazzler, if you don't mind my asking, what age are you...?

In september, in order to ensure Grade 1 standard for out POT's course fitness tests(grade 1=3.2km run in under 12mins 35 seconds, over 55 pushups in a minute, over 55 sit-ups in a minute and 10k loaded march in under 93mins). So we started jogging mondays, wednesdays and fridays. On tuesdays, thursdays and saturdays I would do push ups, sit ups and other exercises I gradually added to aid me in attaining my goal...
    Well I'm looking at my progress sheets now and I'm sorry to say that in mid december I became very, very stricken with the flu. I'm not the type of person who gets sick often and when I do I usually just get run down for a day or two. But I was very sick for two whole weeks.
    By the time I started recovering it was full swing in christmas so I said leave training until I went back to college and got back into a routine(dunno about everybody else, but I find it incredibly difficult to train unless I'm in a routine of some sort).
    Went back to college on the 8th and got a nice weeks training done, taking off easy, my stats having dropped significantly. Last thursday I felt like I was getting the flu again, I couldn't believe it. And on sunday I was diagnosed with chicken-pox. Of all things to be stricken with when you're 19.
    So in effect, since the start of september, I'm after losing my grade 1 stats(the run wasn't grade 1 yet, but it was starting to get close again).
    I'm still covered in these stupid chicken pox and confined to home, bored all day. I tried some push-ups today just to see how I went, terrible, totally woeful...

JNS, that really doesn't sound good. Has it ever happned before(the tasting blood)?

Comment

it doesn't really sound great does it

(It may also be due to the fact that I just ate a meal with slightly raw and bloody lamb chops that I couldn't finish due to the blood, but I do love drama!)
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
      Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
      Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
      Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

Sometimes people mistake a bloody taste in there mouth for

what is in effect an irony taste

the irony taste comes from oxygen deprivation

from hitting a high range of cardio vascular activity

this in itself is a good thing depending on your training regeime

The fact you ran up a higher hill and combatted against the wind

suggests the CV o2 deprivation

dont do it constantly vary the regeime

but then again you may have in fact chucked a half raw bit of lamb
        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzler View Post
          Thanks lads, BTW, if anyone has any recommendations for good running shoes could ye post them. I am in dire need of a new pair as the ones I am using are 7/8 months old.
          Keep up the effort.

Here's a post from my blog I did for last years Commando Speed March

On related news. I found that my right knee was suffering from last nights run. Got paid yesterday so off I went to invest in some decent running gear.

My place of call was "The Edge" sports shop on Norht Main St, Cork.

I explained to them what I was training for and showed tham my old runners (after being soaked in Febreeze ) and aslo my parade boots and matherhorn boots.

After looking at the wear patterns, the lady helping me, Jill, saw that I had a moderately pronating gait. Basicly, when my heal hit the ground it would rotate inwards further than it should before lifting again. She explained that with weight, this would become even more pronounced.

So after explaining the basic personal bio-mechanics of my feet, she got me to step onto a foot sizing plate. Basicly its a flat plate with that thermal covering on it that goes different colours when pressure and heat are applied. From this she explained that my arches were slightly unsymmetrical. Now this is common but my case even from what I saw, it was a more than obvious. on the right foot.

Then came the video analysis of my running gait. Up and down the shop floor while being tracked by slow motion camera.

Now how much for all this - ZERO, nothing, nada.

Jill offered to show me running shoes if I was interested. I could have come out of the shop not buying anything at all. But I wanted to save my knee some pain so asked to see some of what the shop had to offer. Jill asked me to try on 4 pairs of runners designed specifically for my foot condition of pronating, and again each pair was analysed using the camera.

One pair was quite comfortable and the feel in the difference was obvious. I felt a HELL of a lot easier to run and even stand.

Now your probably thinking: Jebus, they're going to be expensive, but no. Turned out to be 110euro. No more than what you'd pay for fashion trainers in Lifestyle or any other shop.

On top of all that, she threw in a free sports bottle and they were having a sale so I bought some other stuff and received 25% off.

The overall service and quality of information was exceptional. I know this sounds like an ad for the shop, but the service deserves the mention. I can't recommend it enough to anyone doing any bit of training where you need proper running shoes or other gear from running to cycling to swimming. Fantastic place.

Thread found here

"The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Hi lads and lady.

Thanks for all the advice, adn I am happy to see this thread is getting other people motivated as well!!!

Zulu, I will check that place out next week, sounds like exactly what I need!!! Master, will also Check out J Buckeys. Might as well shop around.

Wednesday - 21 January 2009

Run
            Distance: 2.6 miles
            Time: 21.57 mins
            Details; This I found hard, I really did, it was a miserable day, and I just didn't want to Keep goin, but I did nonetheless, because I knew I needed to battle through all sorts of weather if I want to achieve my Ultimate Goal(some of you may know what this is, I will not state it here though.). I did achieve my first minor victory, in fact it is 2 minor goals passed, I didn't walk until a good bit past the Halfway point, (may not actualy be the halfway point but it is such a sharp change I refer to it as such), and I completed the run in less than 22 mins. I am happy, but feel I could have done better had I not eaten McDonalds last night, but I did, so whatever.
            Link - http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/ireland/cork/299080166361 *route Taken Backwards*

Thanks for the support lads.

I can see my times now falling at a slower pace, which while disheartening I will have to overcome. It is much better for my motivation to see me shave 2 mins than it is to shave 45 seconds, but I know that it is the way it will be.

Thanks again lads.
            Gav.
            I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

Hi lads and lady.

Thanks for all the advice, adn I am happy to see this thread is getting other people motivated as well!!!

Zulu, I will check that place out next week, sounds like exactly what I need!!! Master, will also Check out J Buckeys. Might as well shop around.

Wednesday - 21 January 2009

Run
              Time: 21.57 mins
              Details; This I found hard, I really did, it was a miserable day, and I just didn't want to Keep goin, but I did nonetheless, because I knew I needed to battle through all sorts of weather if I want to achieve my Ultimate Goal(some of you may know what this is, I will not state it here though.). I did achieve my first minor victory, in fact it is 2 minor goals passed, I didn't walk until a good bit past the Halfway point, (may not actualy be the halfway point but it is such a sharp change I refer to it as such), and I completed the run in less than 22 mins. I am happy, but feel I could have done better had I not eaten McDonalds last night, but I did, so whatever.
              Link - http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/ireland/cork/299080166361 *route Taken Backwards*

Thanks for the support lads.

I can see my times now falling at a slower pace, which while disheartening I will have to overcome. It is much better for my motivation to see me shave 2 mins than it is to shave 45 seconds, but I know that it is the way it will be.

Thanks again lads.
              Gav.
              Keep it up Dazzler.
              Go Mairidís Beo

Comment

How are ye lads.

Didn't go for one yesterday, considered it a Rest-day! Went today, but am not happy with it.

Friday - 23 January 2009

Run
                Time: 23.43 mins
                Details: I knew before I went out that this was not going to be a great run. Started as always with a 15 minute warm-up but wasn't feeling to great, I don't know why, it seemed like a mental block. Started my run, and I knew straight away there was something off about the day. I started feeling minor Muscle Fatigue early in the run, within the first 300 meters. but I kept going, I got to a good bit past the halfway mark, and walked a bit, I tried to run more, but couldn't get into it. I walked at least a quarter of the run. I am not happy with myself. I am also feeling shin splints (or what I think are shin splints). All in all I am very disappointed in myself about todays run.

I will not be running tomorrow because I am going to Carlow tonight on the urine, and then heading out as well tomorrow night, I will probably go SUnday, but I am thinking of leaving off until monday, in case I do have Shin Splints.

I may go running with a friend on Monday, for extra motivation, as I am getting complacent when running, which is another possible reason I stopped.

Thanks for reading lads.
                Gav.

Comment

Sunday 25th January

Started back today doing jogging on the Curragh plains. Have been out of
                  touch for a while between Xmas and recuperation from an op, so was
                  feeling it.

A mate has been egging me for ages to go out with his group on
                  a Sunday morning jogging on the Curragh plains, but I haven't been
                  brave (dumb !!!) enough to do it until today. He headed off happy as
                  Larry on a 10 mile (made my eyes water when he said it) route.

I was brought on a 4 mile circuit and felt it !!! I had to walk at times
                  as I was running out of gas, but the legs were doing OK. Was a pleasant
                  change from running on a hard road surface, where the legs have certainly
                  been feeling it afterwards.

The runners got muckied up, but I struggled around in 45 minutes, so hopefully
                  am going to combine doing this circuit once a week, or maybe twice, if I'm brave
                  enough, along with road running and the DFTC circuit training, which is on Tues/Thurs
                  at lunchtime in DFPES.

I certainly hope to see an improvement in my time around a 3.2km route, which
                  I had been doing in 17 minutes, before Christmas.

Will let ye know how I'm going .....

Dazzler, you mention shin splints....

Originally posted by Dazzler
                  I am also feeling shin splints (or what I think are shin splints)....
                  Maybe consider alternative footwear - am assuming that you are doing road running ?
                  Also, as Zulu mentioned above, there are places which will measure your foot arches and
                  manufacture up shoe inserts to suit. A mate of mine in work said he got this done, and
                  hasn't looked back since...
                  Last edited by Truck Driver; 25 January 2009, 18:48.
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                    Dazzler, you mention shin splints....

Maybe consider alternative footwear - am assuming that you are doing road running ?
                    Also, as Zulu mentioned above, there are places which will measure your foot arches and
                    manufacture up shoe inserts to suit. A mate of mine in work said he got this done, and
                    hasn't looked back since...
                    I'd also consider low impact cardio exercise (eg cycling/swimming)

Comment

Keep up the good work Dazzler. Hope to start back training shortly, recovering from knee op (torn cartlidge). Too much road running I am told (have completed 5 Dublin marathons and other 20,15,13 and 10 miler runs). With regard to shin splints try running on softer ground ie forest runs or football field this may help prevent getting them.
                      Lock and load

Comment

How are ya lads, thanks for all the support and advice!!!!

I haven't started back after my weekend away yet, made a proper Bender of it, with 48 hours straight on the Urine, so trying to recover now, probably one of the best weekends of my life!!! Great craic, so it is actually worth it to be off running until tomorrow. Carlow is probably the best student town in Ireland, Galway can't hold a light to it!!!!

I cannot remember alot of things since Friday night, but still, good stuff.

I will be back running tomorrow when I get over my Dehydration and hangover. I know I am gonna do worse than my last run, but I am still gonna push through it no matter what the pain. I want 2130 tomorrow.

Thanks Lads.
                        Gav.

Comment

Hey lads, just decided to stop in adn say, I have not been able to run for the last few days, I am sick as a Dog, Can't breath properly when walking, so running is out of the question. Also have alot of Backpain, swolen glands, blocked nose, and scratchy throat and cough.

I am hoping it is just a cold and I will be able to start back again soon, but I don't know how long this will last.

Comment

Sounds as if you got the flu mate
                            Go Mairidís Beo

Comment

Originally posted by Traumagod View Post
                              Sounds as if you got the flu mate
                              I was thinking that myself, but at the moment I am calling it a really bad cold, because I don't like doctors, and I have a Hillwalk sunday that I have been waiting for months to go on!!!!!!!

Well, now I am off to bed.

The Weird thing is though, I have drank 16-20 litres of water since Monday, but I am still constantly thirsty!!!!! Never been sick in my life so I am not happy about this!!!

Comment

I was thinking that myself, but at the moment I am calling it a really bad cold, because I don't like doctors, and I have a Hillwalk sunday that I have been waiting for months to go on!!!!!!!

Well, now I am off to bed.

The Weird thing is though, I have drank 16-20 litres of water since Monday, but I am still constantly thirsty!!!!! Never been sick in my life so I am not happy about this!!!
                                Go to the doctor mate. Thats a lot of water in a few days and still thirsty..

Dont mean to freak you out but its better safe than sorry.:redface:
                                Go Mairidís Beo

Comment

Working...
                                X