Thanks Thanks:  23
Likes Likes:  133
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
    Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    Orienteering, Donadea today.... good run in a busy forest. Kettlebells does seem to be the trendy thing at the moment, doesn't it ? The OH has just bought one.

Throw some weight into a pack and head up the hills.

PS Well done to those DF members who completed the Art O'Neill challenge on the 7th. ( and didnt' bother telling me, I'd have loved to have a go ) , 55k from Dublin Castle to Baravore

We are going to have to set up some kind of sort of meet up.

Is anyone interested/involved in a team for the JK ?
    JK?

Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.jk2011.org.uk/

one of the biggest orienteering events in the world, can't remember the last time it was in NI.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    PS Well done to those DF members who completed the Art O'Neill challenge on the 7th. ( and didnt' bother telling me, I'd have loved to have a go )
    Cheers, and I'm sure I told you about us doing that at the last drinks session.

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hello Alaska View Post
    No, I was only lifting three times a week so it's not like the strength work took up all my time.

Personally I felt it improved my overall performance when on Exercise. As I've already said, it's great being able to run 30 minute 10k's or whatever but it's no use if you don't have a strength base to work from.
    I agree with you, strength is a while other necessary attribute to being good all round. I just find that it's impossible to keep my level of conditioning (endurance, as well as sprint) whilst deadlifting and squatting during the week!

Recovery is a bitch!

In my opinion, what's needed is a good cardio base but there needs to be a focus on functional strength, conditioning and being able to operate in quick bursts of energy while wearing 50-60lbs of kit, if not more.
    What would you recommend to someone who was getting ready for bootcamp?

Commander in Chief RoyalGreenJacket's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The DF has this odd fixation with thinking a 2 mile run, push ups and sit ups is a significant indication of someone's ability to do the job. Although that leads into another discussion about putting together new IT's etc.

People starting out should focus on running obviously, along with a proper strength and conditioning routine.
    don't worry mate we have exactly the same thing - in a couple of different guises over the years. there are some lads who just can't run fast yet they can tab for miles with a bergen on their back

for a while our similar fitness test to your 2 miler became an 'assessment' which you technically couldn't fail but now it's back to being a test again and some lads do fail - particularly soldiers returning from operations where they have been able to tab for miles carrying full kit and get stuck into fire-fights, they simply just haven't been able to train for the speed required for such a test yet that have just completed 6 months of combat in which the same tests are supposed to accredit them for.

that said - i guess we do need a 'benchmark' to assess soldiers and a quick 20 minutes in the gym followed by running a couple of miles in light order gives everyone a result the commanders can assess their troops by.

it's barking mad really when you have fast lads who can't do the job and slow lads who can - so now we have introduced new 'Operational Fitness Tests' and more emphasis is being put on those instead.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    People starting out should focus on running obviously, along with a proper strength and conditioning routine.
    Whoops, seems my question has been answered already. I'm gonna take a few of Zulus workouts and do them once or twice to do something different for conditioning. Right now I'm hating my conditioning sessions.

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    IT's done for another year.

Grade 1's across the board, I'll take that.

Post Thanks / Like

PS Well done to those DF members who completed the Art O'Neill challenge on the 7th. ( and didnt' bother telling me, I'd have loved to have a go ) , 55k from Dublin Castle to Baravore
    Its an interesting experience.... I did it in a reasonably decent time without any prior training, There was a fair DF representation. Hopefully its on again next year!
    But there's no danger
    It's a professional career
    Though it could be arranged
    With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
    If you're out of luck you're out of work
    We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am an idiot sometimes!

Today I recce'd a new training playground, 5-10 minute drive from the office in the hills.

I rocked up at the site, got out the car, pack on, checked the map, set the GPS, banged on the music and away I went. Big mistake! I should have warmed up first, within 10 minutes of running mainly uphill my lungs were burning. I was knackered already. Feeling a little annoyed that I didn't warm up before starting and not wanting to stop, I broke into a walk. The hill had already kicked my arse! Eejit!

So I walked a good bit of the route, taking in the scenery, catching my breath, and taking on water. Not knowing exactly how far it was, I broke into another run and took it handy around the course. The circuit was about 3.38km, so I thought I'd give the hill another go before calling it a day. The second time around went better for me, although I still found myself tired and breaking into a walk midway up.

I was suitably tired afterwards, I hadn't planned to go out and gun it, so not too worried about my time (6.77Km in 45.41 minutes.). The paths were gravel tracks. I loved the route and plan to use it regularly now for training. There's lots of paths shooting off the main track which looking at Google Earth will make the run much more interesting.

I hadn't run the last week after breaking my finger, not sure why that stopped me running, I just never got around to it I suppose; so was glad to get back out there.

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like

Went for the hill again today. My focus today was to complete two laps of the hill without breaking my stride into a walk, which I succeeded in doing.
    I took the time to warm up before the run and then ran the hill at a very handy pace.
    Today I also changed my pack. I usually run with a civvy pack with a few weights wrapped in bubble wrap whilst I'm cutting about the business park, but seeing as the hill is fairly secluded, I decided to run with my proper army daysack today, packed as per CEFO. So I had a Goretex jacket, weapon cleaning kits, Warm kit, spare baselayer, 3L Camelbak, and then 4Kg of dumbbell weights to simulate ammo/pyro/NVE/batteries etc. I'm guessing it weighed around the 10Kg mark. Will weigh it properly tonight.

With the added weigh, and despite not breaking my stride into a walk, I still only shaved 28 seconds off the last time. But TBH, I wasn't going balls out today, I was more concerned with proving to myself that I had the mental and physical stamina to get around the hill without breaking into a walk.

I'm now hoping to progress my times on the hill from here on out....

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good stuff, S&S.

I am doing circuits in the DFTC twice a week for a month to build up strength, and just a couple of runs 3-5km three times a week, so by end of Feb I hope to have lost the bit extra round the waist and have a bit more strength where & when needed.

Am knackered tho after cricuits, but feel good knowing that there is progress.

Jog on..............

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftandSure View Post
    Just wondering, would running with a pack contribute to any strength training? Or is it only be beneficial for stamina and conditioning?
    No, Strength training is about high power & low repetition. It would help in a small part but it really only beneficial for stamina or endurance - the type of fitness used by the Army.

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fair one Steyr Fan! You'll be fit as a fiddle in no time if you keep that up.

Just wondering, would running with a pack contribute to any strength training? Or is it only be beneficial for stamina and conditioning?
    As already said, running with a pack is endurance work.

Although I'd still recommend strength work as part of your overall training routine.

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you can get to a Circuits session even once a week, it will really help to build up strenght and risistance. The one in the DFPES is open to all Mon Wed & Fri 1930-2010hrs. And good fun at that.

Who says that gettin / staying is shape shouldn't be fun? After all round is a shape, is it not?

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steyr Fan View Post
    If you can get to a Circuits session even once a week, it will really help to build up strenght and risistance. The one in the DFPES is open to all Mon Wed & Fri 1930-2010hrs. And good fun at that.

Who says that gettin / staying is shape shouldn't be fun? After all round is a shape, is it not?
    Circuit training will help build up muscular endurance, it won't however help you make any large strength gains.

Circuits are great though, they leave you in a bundle.
    Last edited by Hello Alaska; 9th February 2011 at 15:37.

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Circuits are great though, they leave you in a bundle.
    I feel like a train wreck afterwards.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Steyr Fan, when I was doing them, they only did the Circuits during the early
    part of the year, and on Tues / Thurs

Have they changed this to all year round, Mon / Wed / Fri ?

If so, this is a very welcome development
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Truck Driver View Post
    Hey Steyr Fan, when I was doing them, they only did the Circuits during the early

Not sure if it's all year round, but I will ask on Monday andlet you know.

Savage session last night (circuits) - there must have been 100+ at it, motly civvies but quite a few DF also. It is as hard or as easy as you want it to be - there is no PTI scremaing at you to do it right unless you ask them to , and then I'm sure they will happily oblige. So it is up to yourself to do it right or not. I dont't feel so much like a train wreck today - either it wasn't severe enough (general consensus was that it was!!!) or I cheated (bt I don't think I did) or I am getting just a little bit fitter and more able to do it (which I hope is the case).

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Truck Driver View Post

The circuits session in the DFPES is on every Mon Wed & Fri 1930 - 2030 all year round, and open to Joe & Jackie Public.

Post Thanks / Like
    The circuits session in the DFPES is on every Mon Wed & Fri 1930 - 2030 all year round, and open to Joe & Jackie Public.
    Thanks Steyr Fan. That's a great development, to be much welcomed

I will definitely be partaking on a regular basis when I (eventually) get home
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good man S&S. For the month before the test park the 12k run, and focus on 4 - 7k runs, and every so often time yourself on a 3.2k route. Remember there are no hills on the test run. Do you know where you will be doing it, do you know the route? It's vital to know the route cause if you take a wrong turn you might be disqualified.

I did the IT's parts 1 & 2 last Sat - Age 45 (Shhhhh) did 31 pressups but only 27 counted as I didn't lock out the elbows - gave me Grade 3; did 32 situps for Grade 1, and ran 3.2k in 14.12 for grade 1. Overall Grade 2. Happy with that FOR NOW!!! I will do the 10k loaded in early-mid March.

Jog on

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it's Baldonnell where the ITs will be held. Any experience of running the 3.2km there?
    Never done it in the Don, but i'm sure there's some on here who may know the route.

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    One more question. The press ups for ITs, are they elbows in or out? In the BA we used to have to do elbows in, chest to the floor almost, but the press ups I've seen in the RDF tend to be more outwards, alternating between a 90 degrees bend and arms straight. Which should it be?
    There must be a straight line from elbow to elbow across shoulders in the down position, and the elbows must lock out in the up position. I'll dig out the screed for it and send it to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks concussion!

Thread Information