Thanks Thanks:  23
Likes Likes:  132
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2836373839 LastLast
    Flanders Pidgeon Murderer Captain Edmund Blackadder's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Found a protein shaker in my locker today. It had hidden itself in a bag I haven't needed for about 3 weeks. Decided to open it up to see what the craic was, as it looked clean, and I generally keep my shakers clean all the time. I shit you not, it was like the olfactory version of opening the ark of the covenant. I considered burning my clothes and calling the padre. I'm still expecting a call with a North Korean dialling code prefix asking if they can weaponise what's in that shaker.
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

2. Thanks GoneToTheCanner thanked for this post
    Likes Truck Driver, DeV, RoyalGreenJacket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Found a protein shaker in my locker today. It had hidden itself in a bag I haven't needed for about 3 weeks. Decided to open it up to see what the craic was, as it looked clean, and I generally keep my shakers clean all the time. I shit you not, it was like the olfactory version of opening the ark of the covenant. I considered burning my clothes and calling the padre. I'm still expecting a call with a North Korean dialling code prefix asking if they can weaponise what's in that shaker.

4. Likes morpheus, DeV, Truck Driver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did myself a injury on 30 Sept and back running properly again about 2 weeks (11 weeks or so not able/allowed to run)

Thankfully the injury site doesn't hurt - just everything else does

6. Likes morpheus liked this post
    Private 2*
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just finished the first week of C25k. Shins are a bit fecked but sure no pain no gain!

Hopefully I'll be ready for the 2.5km run within the next few months

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Did myself a injury on 30 Sept and back running properly again about 2 weeks (11 weeks or so not able/allowed to run)

Thankfully the injury site doesn't hurt - just everything else does
    Am trying to get back on the fitness treadmill again, as you and a couple of the other guys here know, my situation was different...
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

9. Likes SwiftandSure, DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hoping to do this event on the 11th of June

http://www.soldierscharity.org/events/the-cateran-yomp/
    'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have fun, I was there last summer... driving the support wagon #beefasmince

Might be actually running at it this year as a civvy with a few other lads who recently de-mobb'd. Great atmosphere and hell of a challenge. I'll also be doing this this year.... With the same lads. Looks savage.

Last edited by gibedepusib0ss; 16th January 2016 at 21:24.

12. Thanks Shaqra thanked for this post
    Likes Truck Driver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That looks remarkably tough. Best of luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Napp View Post

Might be actually running at it this year as a civvy with a few other lads who recently de-mobb'd. Great atmosphere and hell of a challenge. I'll also be doing this this year.... With the same lads. Looks savage.

You must be bonkers !!! (Good Luck)
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Post Thanks / Like

Might see you there...though I'll be walking!

RB400...now that's taking hill sprints to a whole new level...
    'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

16. Likes morpheus liked this post
    Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Right, this thread gave me a kick up the ass. I need to get my life in shape.

Started yoga this morning at uni

18. Likes na grohmitŪ liked this post
    Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...Started yoga this morning at uni

started leering at women in lycra at Uni this morning

fyp.

no charge!

20. Likes Truck Driver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I reward myself with "lycra tuesdays" in my gym, 45 minute spin class,
    i sit near the back, the female to male ratio is quite in my favour too :D :D
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

22. Likes ropebag, gibedepusib0ss, Truck Driver liked this post
    Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're a pervert with an eye for detail. Are you looking for work ?
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

24. Likes Truck Driver liked this post
    Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's looking for victims.

started leering at women in lycra at Uni this morning
    I bet one or two of them are even intersectional radical corbynite feminists. oh boy oh boy oh boy!!

Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...I bet one or two of them are even intersectional radical corbynite feminists. oh boy oh boy oh boy!!
    think of the game of Rodeo you could have by whispering 'so, how big a majority will the tories get in 2020 then?' in her ear...

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    One handed rodeo, of course. The other hand will be pressing play on spotify for god save the queen and then quickly grabbing my flask o' whisky marked "Argie Tears", which will be gulped in between breaths while I disprove the gender wage gap through fact.

28. Likes ropebag liked this post
    Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Found a decent website for turning youtube into mp3's - http://www.youtube-mp3.org/

Means you can download some tabata tracks for your new bluetooth workout headphones... what, just me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okA7B5vsIYU, or if tabata isn't your thing, and you like 90's eurobeat dance music - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY6i0H4Vq4s

30. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you to all the lovely girls with all the lovely bottoms who do all the wonderful exercises in the gym and don't catch me staring in awe at all their lovely selves as I contemplate life and its mysteries as I die between sets.
    You da real MVP.

32. Likes Truck Driver, gibedepusib0ss liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

34. Thanks danno, Truck Driver thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Has taken me a year to get back to approaching match fitness due to an injury.

Did the C25K & joined parkrun (both recommended)

Now doing well at C210K

36. Likes Pegasus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone have any suggestions for improving 2.4km run times (and I guess 3.2km runs too)? I'm training for the RDF fitness test but seem to be hitting a block as regards increasing my speed.

I'm 33 so on the older side but the standards aren't that exacting so age shouldn't be an issue. I'm following the DF fitness programme on the website so I'm running three times a week with a mix of longer (800m, 600m, 400m), shorter (400m, 200m, 100m) intervals and also longer distance running (6.4km at the moment but increasing). I'd love to fit a few more runs in but I'm finding if I push it 4-5 times a week, I'm not giving myself the recovery time. I'm also increasing the metrics above weekly (more intense intervals and longer steady state runs).

My problem is that after 5-6 weeks, my speed has only increased slightly but I am able to run much further distances despite only doing long distance once a week. I need to get my 2.4km time down to 11m 40s (pitiful) and am currently about 45s off that. At my age and considering the number of days I'm training, I'd be wanting to be approaching 10m 30s.

I am pushing it, my diet is good and I'm considering implementing hill reps. I'm not naturally fit and didn't play much sport when younger but I had my fitness up high enough for a successful shot at the PDF in 2012. I was also carrying a small bit of weight and have been working to reduce that and am nearly at where I want to be. Still in a calorie deficit but making sure to get plenty of protein in to aid muscle recovery.

Any suggestions for improving the above beyond the DF plan? I'm sure I'm not the first here who's had to work on the fitness!
    Last edited by Auldsod; 17th April 2018 at 16:08.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Auldsod View Post
    Anyone have any suggestions for improving 2.4km run times (and I guess 3.2km runs too)? I'm training for the RDF fitness test but seem to be hitting a block as regards increasing my speed.

I'm 33 so on the older side but the standards aren't that exacting so age shouldn't be an issue. I'm following the DF fitness programme on the website so I'm running three times a week with a mix of longer (800m, 600m, 400m), shorter (400m, 200m, 100m) intervals and also longer distance running (6.4km at the moment but increasing). I'd love to fit a few more runs in but I'm finding if I push it 4-5 times a week, I'm not giving myself the recovery time. I'm also increasing the metrics above weekly (more intense intervals and longer steady state runs).

My problem is that after 5-6 weeks, my speed has only increased slightly but I am able to run much further distances despite only doing long distance once a week. I need to get my 2.4km time down to 11m 40s (pitiful) and am currently about 45s off that. At my age and considering the number of days I'm training, I'd be wanting to be approaching 10m 30s.

I am pushing it, my diet is good and I'm considering implementing hill reps. I'm not naturally fit and didn't play much sport when younger but I had my fitness up high enough for a successful shot at the PDF in 2012. I was also carrying a small bit of weight and have been working to reduce that and am nearly at where I want to be. Still in a calorie deficit but making sure to get plenty of protein in to aid muscle recovery.

Any suggestions for improving the above beyond the DF plan? I'm sure I'm not the first here who's had to work on the fitness!
    Hills will make a big difference

Talking from experience

39. Likes sofa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    head to a steep hill.
    you need a good 200m or so
    start at the bottom and sprint as hard as you can up the hill
    turn and jog down nice and slow
    reach the bottom and turn and repeat.
    continue for 20 minutes - do as many reps as you can
    The first week or two you may only manage 4 or 6 but within weeks you'll manage more sprints in 20 mins as your fitness and speed and recovery time improve
    Its the one thing that I did in 2014 that took my 5k run sub 20 minutes for the first time ever. I ran only 4 times a week max also but was at that point running a min of 6k each time
    I would do a 6 k run on Monday - using lamposts for intervals, sprint for 2 streetlights, jog for 2 - repeat for a good 1 or 2k whilst on the towns ring road.
    On Wednesday jog 2k to the hill and do 20 mins sprints as above then jog 2k home.
    On Friday I would do a 6k jog - nothing fast and some days I skipped the Friday session
    On Saturday I hit a local park with hills in it (ardgillan in county Dublin) and do 2 laps which is about 9k at normal running pace.
    That's how I improved my time then

Now... i go out maybe twice a week and run 8 - 10k in the evening after work, i hit the gym 3 times a week in the mornings - leg day is a big deal and does a similar job to hill sprints - heavy squats, weighted lunges, deadlifts etc. cant walk up or down a stairs after it. i throw in the odd spin class on a weekday in the evening instead of a run that night.

Either way you need to shred those calves and quads on the hills and if you can, in the gym on alternative weeks. One more alternative is to get shuttles in on a playing field, 30 seconds of sprinting between cones about 20m apart followed by 1 minute recovery (adjust times to suit fitness) and continue this for 20 minutes. not just straight line, but zig zag etc - plenty of vids on youtube to help too.
    Last edited by morpheus; 19th April 2018 at 08:59.
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

41. Thanks Auldsod thanked for this post
    Likes HavocIRL, DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Delighted!!!

Grade 3 in push ups
    Grade 2 in sit ups (although should have done better)
    Grade 2 in 2 miles
    So grade 2 overall

Grade 3 in 10km
    Moved into 3rd age bracket in 2016

Didnít get to do ITs in 2016 due to AF14C Admin vortex

Push ups - grade 4 (my weakest part) was 1 off grade 3 in the end but the last 1 I did was all in
    Sit ups - grade 1 - could have done more but saving myself
    3.2km - grade 4 - a minute off grade 3 - havenít done enough training but we were on the gravel track with 4-5 corners so that makes a difference too (even if it is on the flat)

Grade 3 overall

10km - grade 3 - about 2 mins off grade 3 - could have done better

As an aside, never liked having all the weight on my back for part 3, so used the BV as much as possible:
    Small weights in ammo pouches - map to grid due to being over weight
    A 2.3 kg weight backed by a towel in each large pouch
    Wet gear and 6 litres of water in backpack

Then not included in the 14kg 2 litres in the Camelback
    Last edited by DeV; 19th April 2018 at 12:28.

Thread Information