The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by expat01 View Post
    South Africa took a novel decision in the 1970s to establish the military medical service as a separate service within the Defence Force alongside the army, navy and air force. That continues today and SA Military Health Service runs its own nursing college. It’s a radical answer to lack of medical personal to check if a recruit is fit to serve, but in a country that sees itself as providing peacekeeping and uniformed social workers rather than defence capacity, a government that imagines its future naval flagship as possibly a mobile hospital, it seems like a missed trick.
    Italy uses The Order Of Malta to supply it's military medics. Just saying...
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantasia View Post

In theory yes. But most people are just glad to walk away when they go, especially those that go earlier than mandatory retirement ages, there are obviously exceptions and I am all for a way of facilitating those that want to be able to perform in some way to the DF.

The idea of essentially volunteering to do my old job when I have moved to a new, better, better paying job just does not appeal to me or anyone else that I know.
      And no one would blame you but even if 5% did it, it would be of major benefit to the DF

Do you think that if the DF was a better place to work that could change (considering all RDF activities are now paid)?

Comment

• I love the volunteerism that the RDF now brings, I wish I had the same conditions when I pick rubbish with my local tidy towns or traing basketball with my local club. Need garda vetting and coaching courses for those, but don't get paid, Imagine what membership costs would be if if I was.!

Comment

• Originally posted by batterysgt View Post
          I love the volunteerism that the RDF now brings, I wish I had the same conditions when I pick rubbish with my local tidy towns or traing basketball with my local club. Need garda vetting and coaching courses for those, but don't get paid, Imagine what membership costs would be if if I was.!
          Difference is they don’t demand professionalism

and most national equivalents pay for all attendance

Comment

Working...
          X