With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
    He put a bullet through his brain.
    And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
    Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
    Sneak home and pray you'll never know
    The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• I've noticed that the latest round of advertising for the RDF has come out and just based on my social media, it seems that the advertising has went up a gear this year at least from the usual PDF sources. The adverts seem to be slicker and a lot more similar to the ads that we see for the PDF roles. I've even noticed the that COS himself has been sending a tweet or two about it.

Do you think the campaign is a signal of more interest in the RDF from the powers that be and possibly some more energised recruitment in RDF or is this just all optics with the NCO or officer co-ordinating getting more of an advertising budget for social media this year?

Comment

• [QUOTE=Auldsod;454030]I've noticed that the latest round of advertising for the RDF has come out and just based on my social media, it seems that the advertising has went up a gear this year at least from the usual PDF sources. The adverts seem to be slicker and a lot more similar to the ads that we see for the PDF roles. I've even noticed the that COS himself has been sending a tweet or two about it.

Do you think the campaign is a signal of more interest in the RDF from the powers that be and possibly some more energised recruitment in RDF or is this just all optics with the NCO or officer co-ordinating getting more of an advertising budget for social media this year?[/QUOTE
        There has been no lack of engagement by the General Staff or senior PDF officers in my experience.

I think there is recognition that action is required

There is a reservists in DF Audio Visual Section who may be involved not sure.

Comment

• [QUOTE=DeV;454031]
          Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
          I've noticed that the latest round of advertising for the RDF has come out and just based on my social media, it seems that the advertising has went up a gear this year at least from the usual PDF sources. The adverts seem to be slicker and a lot more similar to the ads that we see for the PDF roles. I've even noticed the that COS himself has been sending a tweet or two about it.

Do you think the campaign is a signal of more interest in the RDF from the powers that be and possibly some more energised recruitment in RDF or is this just all optics with the NCO or officer co-ordinating getting more of an advertising budget for social media this year?[/QUOTE
          There has been no lack of engagement by the General Staff or senior PDF officers in my experience.

I think there is recognition that action is required

There is a reservists in DF Audio Visual Section who may be involved not sure.
          Problem being, I think said reservist is due to retire next year?
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Speaking to you from FTT

I'm doing most of what I do in work and helping the DF where they are savagely short . Every officer I've met supports what we're doing . A conversation at breakfast from PDF officers was about how crap R5 was from achieving what the reserve needs to do . SFC is out there. Week 2 of 3 for the year nearly done. What a difference from other years.
            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Blaming R5 for the reserve not achieving it needs to do shows their lack of knowledge about what R5 contains. R5 deals with Enlistment, promotion, commissioning, conditions of service, discipline, discharge, pay. Most PDF when complaining about the constraints in using reservists point to the inability to apply the same discipline process as the PDF (even though R5 specifically states that it applies) or not being able to call up reservists (when it is the Defence Acts that determines this). The only thing that someone in the PDF might complain about is the fact that while the Minister can authorise a reservist to perform security duties and the GOC/Flag officer can authorise a reservist to perform ATCA duties it is with their own (the reservist) consent. Another common complaint is the authority/subject to military law criteria which is all contained in the Defence Acts not R5.

R5 is a very reasonable and workable document, it is a pity that no-one actually uses it.

Comment

• R5 is not fit for purpose in many aspects.

Eg
                chains of command and appointments that haven't existed for coming up to 4 years
                Arguably training obligations
                Non effective list ref the White Paper
                Transfers from PDF/FLR to SLR
                Units that don't exist
                Unit funds

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                  Speaking to you from FTT

I'm doing most of what I do in work and helping the DF where they are savagely short . Every officer I've met supports what we're doing . A conversation at breakfast from PDF officers was about how crap R5 was from achieving what the reserve needs to do . SFC is out there. Week 2 of 3 for the year nearly done. What a difference from other years.
                  Sounds like you are having a very different year of it from your perspective. Any other changes you've noticed?

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                    R5 is not fit for purpose in many aspects.

Eg
                    chains of command and appointments that haven't existed for coming up to 4 years
                    Arguably training obligations
                    Non effective list ref the White Paper
                    Transfers from PDF/FLR to SLR
                    Units that don't exist
                    Unit funds
                    Don't mix up R5 with Admin R5. There is very little that needs to be changed in R5.

There are some but not a lot of references to the position of OC Reserve Bde & OC Shore Operations but not a lot. The regulation doesn't name any units so references to Officer Commanding the Unit is applicable to the new order, it also refers to GOC Brigades collectively so is applicable to the 2 Bde structure.

The childrens allowance section will soon become obsolete as those enlisted before 1 January 1979 should be nearly all retired by now but there are probably a few still around. The 2 sections dealing with unit grants, mileage, unit funds etc and gratuities can go.

Otherwise the rest of the regulation is fine. The FLR still exists and there is no plan to remove it from the legislation so you still need procedures for people transferring between the two classes of reserve. The only training obligations are the minimum set down to allow a reservist be effective. The KPIs are just that KPIs, targets to achieve not to be confused with minimum standards. I have KPIs at work, I won't necessarily get fired if I do not achieve all of them but it will impact on promotion and pay. The White Paper is not a regulation, it is an aspiration.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                      Don't mix up R5 with Admin R5. There is very little that needs to be changed in R5.
                      I'm not, during that post I was going through DFR R5 start to finish.

Of course (a) a Defence (Amendment) Act is required (b) DFR R5 needs amending (c) Admin Instr R5 needs amending, in that order

There are some but not a lot of references to the position of OC Reserve Bde & OC Shore Operations but not a lot.
                      but important
                      The regulation doesn't name any units
                      incorrect

The childrens allowance section will soon become obsolete as those enlisted before 1 January 1979 should be nearly all retired by now but there are probably a few still around. The 2 sections dealing with unit grants, mileage, unit funds etc and gratuities can go.
                      +1

Otherwise the rest of the regulation is fine. The FLR still exists and there is no plan to remove it from the legislation so you still need procedures for people transferring between the two classes of reserve. The only training obligations are the minimum set down to allow a reservist be effective. The KPIs are just that KPIs, targets to achieve not to be confused with minimum standards. I have KPIs at work, I won't necessarily get fired if I do not achieve all of them but it will impact on promotion and pay. The White Paper is not a regulation, it is an aspiration.[/QUOTE]i agree with some of this.

The WP is policy

Comment

The WP is policy
                        Ha!!

Lets have this conversation again when the WP period ends and there is all those incomplete tasks.

Comment

• Sounds like you are having a very different year of it from your perspective. Any other changes you've noticed?
                          Just a huge amount of work to be done, is all really. I'm in a different niche these days.

At the moment there's a large deficit of young Sgts and officers to run with the dogs ; there's no sign of this changing for a long time.

Comment

The WP is policy
                            Oh boy.

Comment

• you are mixing up policy with reality I think.

Comment

• Policy is policy, implementation is the issue

Comment

Working...
                                X