No announcement yet.

The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any further reorg will threaten all of us, not just the Infantry.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Deputy Lisa Chambers Information on Lisa Chambers Zoom on Lisa Chambers asked the Taoiseach and Minister for Defence Information on Leo Varadkar Zoom on Leo Varadkar the number of additional recruits the Reserve Defence Force has taken on in 2017 with regard to all services; the gender breakdown of same; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [54053/17]

Minister of State at the Department of Defence (Deputy Paul Kehoe): Information on Paul Kehoe Zoom on Paul Kehoe I propose to take Questions Numbers 773 and 775 together.

As of 31 October 2017 (the latest date for which figures are available), the effective strength of the Reserve Defence Force was as follows:

Service
      Total Effective Personnel
      Female Personnel
      Army Reserve 1,733 240
      Naval Service Reserve 123 19
      If anyone wants to plot strength vs time most of the numbers are in this thread
      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• By Eric Schmitt
        Jan. 14, 2018
        AL UDEID AIR BASE, Qatar — When Navy Lt. William Conway is piecing together clues about a new Taliban or Islamic State terrorist cell in Afghanistan, he often falls back on skills he learned hauling crooks, swindlers and embezzlers into court in Chicago.

Lieutenant Conway is not your typical military intelligence analyst. A former state prosecutor in Chicago, he comes armed for his sleuthing duties with a law degree from Georgetown University and an M.B.A. from the University of Chicago. Not to mention an undergraduate degree in accounting from the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School.

All of which made Lieutenant Conway the right person at the right time, despite his relatively junior rank. He arrived at this air command center in August on Navy reservist duty to lead an Afghanistan intelligence team just as the Trump administration was ramping up its air and ground campaigns there.

“Working complicated embezzlement cases, it took a lot of time trying to trace individual transactions, how crimes had occurred or how a person was able to steal so much,” Lieutenant Conway said in an interview. “I use the same skills here, getting little nuggets of intelligence all the time — some important, some not — then weaving them together into a narrative.”

Comment

• Good to see a now of total of 5 new AR sgts in DFTC since 2016 and now 3 new SCPOs for NSR

Comment

• Approx 40 Captains promotions authorised (under 15 year rule)

Comment

• I wonder how many months/years those promotions have been sitting on some Minister's desk awaiting a signature. While the organisation withers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Audax View Post
                I wonder how many months/years those promotions have been sitting on some Minister's desk awaiting a signature. While the organisation withers.
                Its neither important or impactful. Promotion panels should expire. Have the course, in this case potential officers, as an essential requirement. Then go through a selection process of psychometric tests and interviews. Give young and eager blood a chance to rise to the top. It shouldn't be an almost automatic sure thing if you are in long enough.
                It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bam Bam View Post
                  Its neither important or impactful. Promotion panels should expire. Have the course, in this case potential officers, as an essential requirement. Then go through a selection process of psychometric tests and interviews. Give young and eager blood a chance to rise to the top. It shouldn't be an almost automatic sure thing if you are in long enough.
                  100% agree - that rule should be done away with
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Those promotions are a joke.
                    Good Lt's who bust their asses all year around and who have the Y.O's course completed have been passed over by people who never show up except for the Officers mess Christmas dinner.
                    Tea drinkers and time wasters when they grace the unit with their presence.
                    A disgrace.
                    And of course now those vacancies are going to be blocked by those people for years so the good Lt's cant move up.They will then get disillusioned and leave.
                    Well done RDFRA. A massive own goal.Hope ye are happy.
                    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• 40 Captains? What in the name of jaysus will they do with 40 Captains? does the entire RDF have a need for 40 as it is?
                      "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                      "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                        Those promotions are a joke.
                        Good Lt's who bust their asses all year around and who have the Y.O's course completed have been passed over by people who never show up except for the Officers mess Christmas dinner.
                        Tea drinkers and time wasters when they grace the unit with their presence.
                        A disgrace.
                        And of course now those vacancies are going to be blocked by those people for years so the good Lt's cant move up.They will then get disillusioned and leave.
                        Well done RDFRA. A massive own goal.Hope ye are happy.
                        It isn’t RDFRA’s regulation to change.

Criteria is:
                        - 15 years commissioned service certified by COS
                        - attended annual training in 3 of last 5 years
                        - satisfactory rating on 108s for last 5 years
                        - recommended by GOC & DReserve

I know at least 3 of those 43 and they aren’t as described, AFAIK all of whom have YOs completed (think some also have the Std Offrs Cse)
                        Last edited by DeV; 15 February 2018, 11:19.

Comment

• It isn’t RDFRA’s regulation to change.
                          Of course it isn't.What doesn't help though is RDFRA lobbying anybody who would listen in order to progress the "competition" despite the fact that the whole process should have not taken place until the redresses were fully investigated. The people who submitted the redresses were asked to pause their redresses so that R5 could be amended. They agreed in good faith and then got shafted.
                          RDFRA never backed their members who redressed as to do so would have been counter to the interests of the chosen few.That in itself is a disgrace.
                          Criteria is:
                          - 15 years commissioned service certified by COS
                          - attended annual training in 3 of last 5 years
                          - satisfactory rating on 108s for last 5 years
                          - recommended by GOC & DReserve

I know at least 3 of those 43 and they aren’t as described, AFAIK all of whom have YOs completed (think some also have the Std Offrs Cse)
                          I know the criteria and I know what you are saying is true.A small handful of deserving people have made it through.But they are a minority. In my unit the people who got promoted you never see from one end of the year to the other. Paddy's day to ponce around the mess and the shooting teams.Other than that they are ghosts.

How many of them are operationally effective??Can go on exercises?? Can competently lead troops and a re current on up to date TTP's??
                          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• I wouldn't agree that it is a small handful. I personally know 17 out of the 43 as being regular paraders. A lot of the names on the list are those Lts that you see doing the grunt work at every event over the past 15 years (Exercises, ranges, shooting competitions). By grunt work I don't mean swanning around drinking tea, we are talking about doing security, managing ranges, doing the administration, all that mundane boring shite that makes an event a success. The only disgrace here is that it has taken so long for this to happen, a lot of good/active Lts have thrown in the towel because of this delay.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                              Of course it isn't.What doesn't help though is RDFRA lobbying anybody who would listen in order to progress the "competition" despite the fact that the whole process should have not taken place until the redresses were fully investigated. The people who submitted the redresses were asked to pause their redresses so that R5 could be amended. They agreed in good faith and then got shafted.
                              RDFRA never backed their members who redressed as to do so would have been counter to the interests of the chosen few.That in itself is a disgrace.

I know the criteria and I know what you are saying is true.A small handful of deserving people have made it through.But they are a minority. In my unit the people who got promoted you never see from one end of the year to the other. Paddy's day to ponce around the mess and the shooting teams.Other than that they are ghosts.

How many of them are operationally effective??Can go on exercises?? Can competently lead troops and a re current on up to date TTP's??
                              I haven’t seen the list and even if I had I wouldn’t know them all or what they have done or do

As far as I know the competition was cancelled due to the fact that it couldn’t legally be held and still can’t be due to DoD.

Comment

• 15 years for promotion to Captain?!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X