Thanks Thanks:  890
Likes Likes:  2,918
Dislikes Dislikes:  110
Page 252 of 252 FirstFirst ... 152202242250251252
Results 6,276 to 6,291 of 6291
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    incorrect - tempting, but not the case. More than that I will not say here.
    Which part is incorrect? My understanding too was the course/training had to be done first
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive never done a course for duties. Got the usual briefs and then did the duties

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a TS for RDF security duties.

Post Thanks / Like
    RDF Officers doing o/o at my call sign and RDF SNCO's doing BOS.
    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

5. Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    We have had RDF NCOs and privates on duties (including S/T)

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive been BOS at my call sign aswell. And officers do O/O. But only on ftt.

8. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dunno about your location in the past, Apod, but I do know reservists doing BOS and O/O duties in Connolly Bks Longford was a common enough occurrence in the past. A unit which was meeting itself in terms of border, regimental duties, Portlaoise, courses, sick, leave, overseas, etc. , was only too glad of the help. Did duties there myself on a couple of occasions on FTT
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Used to happen all the time in Clonmel and a few in Fermoy back in the day, did guard commander a few times my self while corporals were allowed to. Once promoted I didn't for various reasons. Always tended to be mid week which suited sometimes. Never had a bother doing duties if it stopped guys getting creased.

But that doesn't make it right. Time and time again I've said it the system of duties is wasteful and morale sapping for the guys involved especially since it doesn't pay and the time off is neglegible, but no one has dared to try and address the system and get rid of the age old system the DF used.
    Just visiting

11. Thanks ODIN, na grohmití thanked for this post
    BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last time I did guard duty was in cathal brugha in 2002, during the world cup. About three or four guards in a week were RDF, although once I was guard commander with one PDF soldier in the otherwise RDF guard. Each time I did it we either took over from or were replaced by a PDF guard.

Post Thanks / Like
    With regard to duties there is a TS to cover them (reason being there are no security duties mandays (haven’t been for a long time)) and all training mandays have to be covered by a syllabus IOT be approved.

The TS involves a couple of hours of lectures, an understudy period and then any duties completed are completed referring to said TS.

They are back on at my loc anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    In other news good to see Sgt promotions happening.

My location (hope I haven’t forgotten anyone) has had 4 promotions to Sgt in the last 20 months

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    In other news good to see Sgt promotions happening.

My location (hope I haven’t forgotten anyone) has had 4 promotions to Sgt in the last 20 months
    Four in the last 20 months? Somebody obviously pushing the issue up there. I know at least one of those who got it, possibly a second if he is still in your location. Good to see the wheels being greased a bit.

The real issue is still recruitment in my opinion. It takes too long and there is not nearly enough of it. In my location, there's one large unit who gets tasked with running it, but the smaller corps units are suffering as the majority of the recruits passed out go to that unit to replace their numbers of wastage each year. While I am a fan of centralised training, there are massive issues with the implementation that has lead to some units literally being on life support.
    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    While I am a fan of centralised training, there are massive issues with the implementation that has lead to some units literally being on life support.
    There is no sign of this changing at the moment. Agree with the line units not helping in the slightest with being greedy on manpower - who can blame them though.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ODIN View Post
    Four in the last 20 months? Somebody obviously pushing the issue up there. I know at least one of those who got it, possibly a second if he is still in your location. Good to see the wheels being greased a bit.

The real issue is still recruitment in my opinion. It takes too long and there is not nearly enough of it. In my location, there's one large unit who gets tasked with running it, but the smaller corps units are suffering as the majority of the recruits passed out go to that unit to replace their numbers of wastage each year. While I am a fan of centralised training, there are massive issues with the implementation that has lead to some units literally being on life support.
    I’d say you know 2 possibly 3

There is at least 1 more vacancy to be filled, unfortunately some of the units have vacancies but are over establishment (I think that’s it) so they are stuck.

There’s determination and will - we are lucky in the more senior officers we have

Absolutely recruiting is key but if we don’t retain (especially privates & JNCOs we are pis*ing in the wind). Promotions will help retention of JNCOs. If we don’t retain good JNCOs then we can’t train any new recruits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    There is no sign of this changing at the moment. Agree with the line units not helping in the slightest with being greedy on manpower - who can blame them though.
    It’s economic of scale, why have 3 corporals in 3 locations training 6 recruits. 1 corporal in 1 location could train them (yes I realise it is much more complex than that).

I would have all recruit training centralised at brigade level (battalion level if the numbers justify it (ie the Bn has a platoon) or say Bde minus (let’s say Clare, Limerick, Kerry, Tipperary etc).

Post Thanks / Like
    For far too long the FCA/RDF concentrated on recruiting instead of retention.

That really hit home around 2007. In the East there were multiple recruiting bans from 2000 to 2007 or be they short term.

If you keep people they will bring in more people.

Thread Information