The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
    Anything to be said for just hitting the reset button on the whole thing? Move across those active at the moment and dump all those supernummary?
    The DoD can't even legislate for the current position how many years later

Comment

• Anything to be said for just hitting the reset button on the whole thing? Move across those active at the moment and dump all those supernummary?
      to what pray tell
      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• It seems to me that there a various structural and recruitment issues within the RDF. The movement of joiners from the RDF to the PDF seems to be a persistent problem and I must admit that I was guilty of doing that too. The RDF just isn't enticing enough recruits in on the basis of being a part time soldier/sailor but instead just as a PDF stepping stone. The RDF should be marketed better with an increased focus on the training opportunities etc.

I also think putting a block on a PDF application for say 12 months after RDF attestation could be a positive step. Joining the RDF for 3-4 years while in college could be seen as positive for a subsequent PDF application but what good is a few months as a recruit or as a 2*?

As for hitting the reset button; if I'm a new joiner, I would want to see training opportunities, opportunities to change role and also the opportunity to be promoted. Being told that I'm unlikely to get past the rank of Corporal because of some Sergeant who hasn't surfaced in months/years is very discouraging. There are rarely courses for subsequent ranks and irregular opportunities for promotion to officer.

The next bit is controversial as I know there are members on this site in the bracket I'm going to mention next. However, junior members of the RDF have their promotion opportunities held up due to units having Corporals and Lieutenants in their forties and Sergeants and Captains in their fifties. Does this really help retention matters. This is far too old for a junior officer. I know they have a lot of experience and are the collective memories of a unit but there are others who miss getting this experience at rank when it counts or at all. The benefit of retaining that knowledge is reduced by the impact it has downstream on keeping good bodies in uniform. I understand that there are definitely types of officer that should be kept on at any age, such ex PDF NS watch-keepers or those with professional qualifications but a platoon leader should be a young thruster.

I know there are a myriad of other problems that would have to be solved first but getting a plan in place and then resetting everything (carrying across those who've been active within a year with rank) could be a start. A move up or move out promotion structure could eventually be actioned. Just a thought....
        Last edited by Auldsod; 6 June 2017, 12:31.

Comment

• The usefulness of folks to the RDF only really starts to come after year 2 you see because of needed training, so a 1 year block is no good

Your point about an "up-or-out" mentality is really good - how to make it work ... 20% of establishment are vacated every year , rolling 24 months assessment period to see if you fall into the 20%

or couple that with some form of every establishment post above Pte ( including mine ) comes up for vacancy every 24 months

Some form of this is needed or its paralysis will keep going.

That said though there have to be opportunities and competiions for the vacancies we have now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
            It seems to me that there a various structural and recruitment issues within the RDF. The movement of joiners from the RDF to the PDF seems to be a persistent problem and I must admit that I was guilty of doing that too. The RDF just isn't enticing enough recruits in on the basis of being a part time soldier/sailor but instead just as a PDF stepping stone. The RDF should be marketed better with an increased focus on the training opportunities etc.
            Should be marketed full stop!

The only way really (within current regulations etc) is to actively target the 25-34 age group (ie too old to join PDF).

I also think putting a block on a PDF application for say 12 months after RDF attestation could be a positive step. Joining the RDF for 3-4 years while in college could be seen as positive for a subsequent PDF application but what good is a few months as a recruit or as a 2*?
            already there for the bonus points for the cadets (effective from 1 Jan of the year prior).

As for hitting the reset button; if I'm a new joiner, I would want to see training opportunities, opportunities to change role and also the opportunity to be promoted. Being told that I'm unlikely to get past the rank of Corporal because of some Sergeant who hasn't surfaced in months/years is very discouraging. There are rarely courses for subsequent ranks and irregular opportunities for promotion to officer.
            number of issues there. Realistically the new joiner should be at least 3 years minimum off corporal.
            DF need to enforce the current effectiveness and non-effectiveness regulations.
            The courses are being run and there are vacancies on them.

The next bit is controversial as I know there are members on this site in the bracket I'm going to mention next. However, junior members of the RDF have their promotion opportunities held up due to units having Corporals and Lieutenants in their forties and Sergeants and Captains in their fifties. Does this really help retention matters. This is far too old for a junior officer. I know they have a lot of experience and are the collective memories of a unit but there are others who miss getting this experience at rank when it counts or at all. The benefit of retaining that knowledge is reduced by the impact it has downstream on keeping good bodies in uniform. I understand that there are definitely types of officer that should be kept on at any age, such ex PDF NS watch-keepers or those with professional qualifications but a platoon leader should be a young thruster.

I know there are a myriad of other problems that would have to be solved first but getting a plan in place and then resetting everything (carrying across those who've been active within a year with rank) could be a start. A move up or move out promotion structure could eventually be actioned. Just a thought....
            There aren't any corporals (of any age) blocking promotions. The only ranks which are over subscribed are SNCOs and Lts.

Comment

• Just on a few of the points above. I definitely think targeting the older cohort of recruit would be a great idea. The maturity and work experience could certainly add a lot to the organisation when added to the melting pot with the youth and enthusiasm of the younger recruits. This age group normally have more commitments though so the RDF would need to get better at communicating recruit training dates etc in advance so that this age group can plan accordingly.

Bonus points for cadets aren't as useful as you'd expect unless they've changed substantially in the five years since I went through the process. Having a four year degree gave the maximum number of points straight away so such a candidate would already surpass a candidate with RDF experience and good Irish proficiency. Most cadets (but not all) have a degree going in now.

I don't have the latest detail but are there career courses being run every year now beyond the Pots course? Potential officers course being run annually etc?

The age profile of the RDF officer cohort does worry me though. I noticed a photo recently in a local publication with four RDF officers (a number of lieutenants and a captain). All were well beyond their thirties and one was extremely overweight. The lack of fitness of that one officer in particular in my opinion doesn't do much for the optics the RDF is trying to display. If I'm a fit twenty year old, how am I supposed to take that officer seriously when he's promoting the requirement for high fitness standards in my unit?
              Last edited by Auldsod; 7 June 2017, 09:25.

Comment

• There's only a theoretical excess of lts and SNCOs at this stage surely, when was the past potential officers course? 4 or 5 years ago maybe? Same with standards there hasn't been one for a while. Over the last 2 years around 30 cpls were minted in the south but I don't think any pots course was run in the east. Given the time frames involved basically every young cpl needs to do a standards course and then potential officers straight away!
                Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• It's been so long since a potential officer course now that they may have to start issuing age waivers to those on the books as a Cpl so long....

Comment

• There's only a theoretical excess of lts and SNCOs at this stage surely
                    Still well over . A Captains competition would fix the second problem though and unfortunately for us , for the last year, our representative association put that problem beyond the military's ability to fix and there is no timeline for its solution

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                      Still well over . A Captains competition would fix the second problem though and unfortunately for us , for the last year, our representative association put that problem beyond the military's ability to fix and there is no timeline for its solution
                      Just curious about the above? How did the RDFRA manage to screw that up so that the DF can't fix? You'd imagine promotion to Captain should be automatic in an ideal environment assuming performance and attendance needs were met. Oh and maybe with a greater time in rank than you'd have in the PDF.

Comment

• How did the RDFRA manage to screw that up
                        I went searching for a decent meme in answer to this... props to anyone who can make me lol

RDFRA made it so only the Department can fix it , the DF tried in fairness.

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                          I went searching for a decent meme in answer to this... props to anyone who can make me lol

RDFRA made it so only the Department can fix it , the DF tried in fairness.
                          Still scratching my head why :-) Nothing to do with peakers is it? ;-)

Comment

• The Dept are responsible for Regulations. It was determined that a change to the regs was necessary because of a crib.

Comment

• Lol so Lts are retiring due to RDFRA cribbing about R5 and cockblocking 3 pip promotions!
                              Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• via Imgflip Meme Generator

Comment

Working...
                                X