No announcement yet.

The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There was to be an RDF Lt - Capt competition in 2016 before an 11th hour intervention by RDFRA

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
      Those promotions are a joke.
      Good Lt's who bust their asses all year around and who have the Y.O's course completed have been passed over by people who never show up except for the Officers mess Christmas dinner.
      Tea drinkers and time wasters when they grace the unit with their presence.
      A disgrace.
      And of course now those vacancies are going to be blocked by those people for years so the good Lt's cant move up.They will then get disillusioned and leave.
      Well done RDFRA. A massive own goal.Hope ye are happy.
      Any chance you could pm me who got the third pip in your location (My old location). I'm out of the loop and the best of the lts who were there lost interest long ago.
      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• My understanding is that someone in a class or 2 below the cut off put in a nicely worded solicitors letter that stopped the process. The time criteria to be eligible for promotion to Captain is 5 years in the rank of Lt. There were at least 2 classes that had their promotion from 2/Lt to Lt delayed by a couple of years due to the ban of promotion. These people would have been eligible to enter the Lt to Capt competition if they had been promoted after 4 years as per the regulation. This was the reason the 2016 competition was stopped.

As the fixed term promotion remains in R5, the DF would have been subject to challenge if they ran a competition and someone who should have been promoted under the 15 year rule was not promoted and someone more junior was. This is because he would have met the criteria to be eligible to be promoted under the 15 year rule by being eligible to enter the competition (number of camps, satisfactory 451s, recommended for promotion.), and his challenge would have been successful.

The DF always had to deal with the fixed term promotions first before they could run an open competition. If they had ran it back in 2015 when they originally planned they would have had a lot less people eligible.

When the PDF officers give up their fixed term promotions then the RDF should, otherwise what is good for the goose is good for the gander.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantasia View Post
          There was to be an RDF Lt - Capt competition in 2016 before an 11th hour intervention by RDFRA
          Intervention by multiple individual redresses why? Because the criteria weren’t in accordance with the law (ie DFR R5)

Comment

• Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
            My understanding is that someone in a class or 2 below the cut off put in a nicely worded solicitors letter that stopped the process. The time criteria to be eligible for promotion to Captain is 5 years in the rank of Lt. There were at least 2 classes that had their promotion from 2/Lt to Lt delayed by a couple of years due to the ban of promotion. These people would have been eligible to enter the Lt to Capt competition if they had been promoted after 4 years as per the regulation. This was the reason the 2016 competition was stopped.

As the fixed term promotion remains in R5, the DF would have been subject to challenge if they ran a competition and someone who should have been promoted under the 15 year rule was not promoted and someone more junior was. This is because he would have met the criteria to be eligible to be promoted under the 15 year rule by being eligible to enter the competition (number of camps, satisfactory 451s, recommended for promotion.), and his challenge would have been successful.

The DF always had to deal with the fixed term promotions first before they could run an open competition. If they had ran it back in 2015 when they originally planned they would have had a lot less people eligible.

When the PDF officers give up their fixed term promotions then the RDF should, otherwise what is good for the goose is good for the gander.
            Thanks for the clarification. I never did find out what the content of the intervention was.

Thanks.

Originally posted by DeV View Post
            Intervention by multiple individual redresses why? Because the criteria weren’t in accordance with the law (ie DFR R5)
            The Defence Act is the law. A DFR is a statutory instrument, not a law

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantasia View Post
              The Defence Act is the law. A DFR is a statutory instrument, not a law
              A statutory instrument is law - it’s secondary legislation

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                A statutory instrument is law - it’s secondary legislation
                Okay, I will give you that one

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                  Any chance you could pm me who got the third pip in your location (My old location). I'm out of the loop and the best of the lts who were there lost interest long ago.
                  Thanks to B20 for supplying me with the names.
                  Some of the individuals are as APOD says, the last of the tea drinking club, and in some cases be counter productive when it comes to recruitment and retention, favouring their own drinking buddies over decent soldiers.
                  Their promotion will see the effective end of certain units.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                    It isn’t RDFRA’s regulation to change.

Criteria is:
                    - 15 years commissioned service certified by COS
                    - attended annual training in 3 of last 5 years
                    - satisfactory rating on 108s for last 5 years
                    - recommended by GOC & DReserve

I know at least 3 of those 43 and they aren’t as described, AFAIK all of whom have YOs completed (think some also have the Std Offrs Cse)
                    I know at least 2 myself
                    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                      Beaten to it.My bad.

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                      My understanding is that someone in a class or 2 below the cut off put in a nicely worded solicitors letter that stopped the process. The time criteria to be eligible for promotion to Captain is 5 years in the rank of Lt. There were at least 2 classes that had their promotion from 2/Lt to Lt delayed by a couple of years due to the ban of promotion. These people would have been eligible to enter the Lt to Capt competition if they had been promoted after 4 years as per the regulation. This was the reason the 2016 competition was stopped.

Comparing apples and Oranges.PDF junior officers MUST have completed a YO.s course as well as the usual 451s etc. The tea drinkers who just got promoted couldn't even find the DFTC let alone complete a YO's course. At least I know that when a PDF Captain stand on front of troops they are technically and tactically proficient.Can the same be said about someone who got promoted just for showing up (usually the bare minimum) and staying out of trouble.

Nope.With the exception of some real good people the RDF has just gotten itself seat warmers in the mess until they retire or die. And now the good lads can't get promoted. Nice one. RDFRA should have been all over this. Pause the 15 year term promotions until the lads who were held back through no fault of their own had the 5 years completed. Then give everyone an equal shot.

How many RDFRA reps would have lost out though ?Or their mates?? Again.Vested interests putting themselves before the organisation. And ye wander why the RDF is going down the toilet. Oh yeah.I forgot it's all the PDF's fault
                      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Apod, change the broken record will you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                          Apod, change the broken record will you.
                          Why? Because the truth hurts?

Read my avatar and carry on.
                          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Anyways......

Comment

• So am i correct in thinking that now the logjam has been cleared, from now on there will be exclusively competitive Lt to Capt promotion competitions?

Comment

• Originally posted by Audax View Post
                                So am i correct in thinking that now the logjam has been cleared, from now on there will be exclusively competitive Lt to Capt promotion competitions?
                                You assume that there will ever be captain vacancies again?

Comment

Working...
                                X