Sgt Maj 1 1 0 100.00% 12 11
    BQMS 6 0 -6 12 6
    CS 55 36 -19 152.78% 80 25
    CQMS 60 36 -24 166.67% 70 10
    Sgt 268 303 35 88.45% 525 257
    Cpl 384 710 326 54.08% 736 352
    Pte 886 2501 1615 35.43% 2391 1505
    Total 1970 3869 1899 50.92% 4293 2323
    Using The Real Jack's Figures, here is how it compares to the establishment and the strength in 2012. The reason given for not promoting people to Sgt is that the excess at Snr NCO level is taking up a Sgts appointment. That is still the case but the gap is closing. The Snr NCO rank is oversubscribed by 49 while the Sgt rank is under subscribed by 35. There are loads of opportunities for Cpls but we knew that.

The Lt rank is still oversubscribed despite significant reductions since 2012. However if they filled the Capt vacancies that would go to reducing this. Also given the reluctance on behalf of the Mil Authorities to enforce non-effectiveness and retirement I would question these numbers. Remember that the non-effective strength is counted in the overall numbers.
    Last edited by Bravo20; 8 June 2017, 10:01.

Comment

• Originally posted by popeye View Post
      You would be right, the NSR is on its last legs.
      And it doesn't seem like so long ago when it was the beacon of hope for the reserves. Where did it all go wrong?

Comment

• And thus we have conflict. I remember when RDFRA was founded - I was in at the beginning - and down the years there were some very wise people who knew how the military actually functioned. As I get to 30+ years I come to appreciate a lot of that , as was.

Don't get me wrong here - there's a little bit of self-interest here - but not a lot of people will apply for my job when it comes up, and there will always be work if you're up for it, every unit I know of is screaming for active officers across the entire force both staff and Line , College and DFHQ . If someone does apply I'm happy to compete on my record.

But the loss to the force is huge due to what is essentially fkery as I stated above and that I cannot forgive.

Now - is this a storm in a teacup - yes - its lower priority than recruiting by a long way
        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
          Rank Feb 17 Establishment (Over)/Under % 2012 Retirements
          Lt Col 4 5 1 80.00% 0 -4
          Comdt 58 60 2 96.67% 77 19
          Capt 50 107 57 46.73% 151 101
          Lt 198 110 -88 180.00% 239 41
          Sgt Maj 1 1 0 100.00% 12 11
          BQMS 6 0 -6 12 6
          CS 55 36 -19 152.78% 80 25
          CQMS 60 36 -24 166.67% 70 10
          Sgt 268 303 35 88.45% 525 257
          Cpl 384 710 326 54.08% 736 352
          Pte 886 2501 1615 35.43% 2391 1505
          Total 1970 3869 1899 50.92% 4293 2323
          Using The Real Jack's Figures, here is how it compares to the establishment and the strength in 2012. The reason given for not promoting people to Sgt is that the excess at Snr NCO level is taking up a Sgts appointment. That is still the case but the gap is closing. The Snr NCO rank is oversubscribed by 49 while the Sgt rank is under subscribed by 35. There are loads of opportunities for Cpls but we knew that.

The Lt rank is still oversubscribed despite significant reductions since 2012. However if they filled the Capt vacancies that would go to reducing this. Also given the reluctance on behalf of the Mil Authorities to enforce non-effectiveness and retirement I would question these numbers. Remember that the non-effective strength is counted in the overall numbers.
          I'm interested in the retirement comment here. Are those at retirement age not administratively taken off the books automatically? I thought the age profile was high enough already.

Comment

• You are deemed to have retired and off the books @23:59 on the day before your relevant birthday; COMO does indeed track this as its an easy spreadsheet task to do. Well at least they have in the past, I think they run a check once a year to see whos due to retire that year.

Comment

• All the above suggests to me why the whole organisation needs to be reset by the DoD. If the DF really wants the RDF and to have a proper structure, it can put in the proper resources and some bodies to do the leg work and let it fly. Otherwise the whole thing may as well just be wound up.

I understand a lot of members on here have put years of work into the organisation but really what is the point if it's not fit for purpose?

Comment

• Don't read into my use of the word 'retirement' in my table. It simply refers to the reduction in numbers at that rank since 2012. It could be due to promotion, retirement, resignation or death.

Comment

• When a lot of lads in the PDF are on FIS it puts it in context , thats not to say ours shouldn't be fixed but there you go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
                    All the above suggests to me why the whole organisation needs to be reset by the DoD. If the DF really wants the RDF and to have a proper structure, it can put in the proper resources and some bodies to do the leg work and let it fly. Otherwise the whole thing may as well just be wound up.

I understand a lot of members on here have put years of work into the organisation but really what is the point if it's not fit for purpose?
                    Bolded the bit that's the most questionable.
                    I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                    Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                    Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                    And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                    With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                    He put a bullet through his brain.
                    And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                    Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                    Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                    The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buck View Post
                      So is there any point in continuing the charade then so?

Comment

• So is there any point in continuing the charade then so?
                        #motivational post of the year lol

(whats that soldiers whinging ? surely not )

Comment

All the above suggests to me why the whole organisation needs to be reset by the DoD. If the DF really wants the RDF and to have a proper structure, it can put in the proper resources and some bodies to do the leg work and let it fly. Otherwise the whole thing may as well just be wound up.

It's 3 steps forward and 1 back

DoD would want to get their own house in order - they are very much part of the problem (the DF and RDF aren't blameless either)

Originally posted by Buck View Post
                          Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
                          Look at it this way, the more the DF is reduced in size the more they are likely to have to utilise the RDF (be it supporting new equipment, enterprising ways of doing things, supporting exercises, doing duties, doing ATCA and who knows what the future will bring).

Also if they got rid of the RDF to make the PDF have fully manned Inf Bn (within the current ceilings) they would have to lose 1 possibly 2 Inf Bns - then you have a 1 Bde army and all the knock on effects (including actually being able to complete their taskings)!

My firm belief is that anyone over probably Capt in the PDF is supportive of the RDF. The decisions they make aren't always but they often don't realise the implications.

Comment

Debateable (as if we haven't) but the PDF is in no great shakes either. There's less than no point in proposing any kind of reform for the RDF if the PDF badly needs a (properly executed) reform too. We're supposed to go hand in hand (no navy jokes please), not baggers vs full timers.
                            I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                            Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                            Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                            And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                            With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                            He put a bullet through his brain.
                            And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                            Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                            Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                            The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• Has electronic payslips rolled out yet for RDF ? I've not been asked for a civvy email yet.

Comment

• Not yet. And seems to be issues with pay. Both times ve done FTT this year there has been a 2 or 3 week wait for pay.

Comment

Working...
                                X