No announcement yet.

The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debate going on on FB about why RDF dont do duties anymore. That was stopped for a while but is not the case anymore..
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Why was it stopped to begin with

Comment

• Admin reasons. You need to have to done a course and then duties are paid as part of that course

Comment

• You are handed a respirator in order to do a guard duty yeah?
          How many of us have completed a CBRN course?
          "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
          "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Admin reasons. You need to have to done a course and then duties are paid as part of that course
            incorrect - tempting, but not the case. More than that I will not say here.
            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
              incorrect - tempting, but not the case. More than that I will not say here.
              Which part is incorrect? My understanding too was the course/training had to be done first
              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Ive never done a course for duties. Got the usual briefs and then did the duties

Comment

• There is a TS for RDF security duties.

Comment

• RDF Officers doing o/o at my call sign and RDF SNCO's doing BOS.
                    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                      RDF Officers doing o/o at my call sign and RDF SNCO's doing BOS.
                      We have had RDF NCOs and privates on duties (including S/T)

Comment

• Ive been BOS at my call sign aswell. And officers do O/O. But only on ftt.

Comment

Dunno about your location in the past, Apod, but I do know reservists doing BOS and O/O duties in Connolly Bks Longford was a common enough occurrence in the past. A unit which was meeting itself in terms of border, regimental duties, Portlaoise, courses, sick, leave, overseas, etc. , was only too glad of the help. Did duties there myself on a couple of occasions on FTT
                          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Used to happen all the time in Clonmel and a few in Fermoy back in the day, did guard commander a few times my self while corporals were allowed to. Once promoted I didn't for various reasons. Always tended to be mid week which suited sometimes. Never had a bother doing duties if it stopped guys getting creased.

But that doesn't make it right. Time and time again I've said it the system of duties is wasteful and morale sapping for the guys involved especially since it doesn't pay and the time off is neglegible, but no one has dared to try and address the system and get rid of the age old system the DF used.
                            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Last time I did guard duty was in cathal brugha in 2002, during the world cup. About three or four guards in a week were RDF, although once I was guard commander with one PDF soldier in the otherwise RDF guard. Each time I did it we either took over from or were replaced by a PDF guard.

Comment

• With regard to duties there is a TS to cover them (reason being there are no security duties mandays (haven’t been for a long time)) and all training mandays have to be covered by a syllabus IOT be approved.

The TS involves a couple of hours of lectures, an understudy period and then any duties completed are completed referring to said TS.

They are back on at my loc anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X