No announcement yet.

The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There will indeed be captain vacancies again, this doesn't come near fixing the gap.

Will there be competitive vacancies : Ask J1 ; they know exactly where the holes are.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• I can't imagine there being any promotion competions. You forget that there are still 16 years worth of Potential Officers courses, who each year will be eligible for FPP.
      Sure the 2002 course is next up to be Fixed Period Promoted.Then the next one and the next one etc....
      It's a vicious cycle.

Comment

• Originally posted by AATWT View Post
        I can't imagine there being any promotion competions. You forget that there are still 16 years worth of Potential Officers courses, who each year will be eligible for FPP.
        Sure the 2002 course is next up to be Fixed Period Promoted.Then the next one and the next one etc....
        It's a vicious cycle.
        Only until those commissioned in 2005

Comment

• And every 2nd there was a commissioning afaik

Comment

• Fantasia is correct. FPP is only for pre-2005 commissions as the R5 amendments with the change to the RDF removed FPP for Lt->Capt commissioned post 2005 .

So, therefore, this reinforces ; there must be competitions coming as we age through the current crop ( which will seem to happen really quickly )

Comment

• Not forgetting another Capt-Comdt competition is on the way

Comment

• I really can't work out why the NSR actually need three promotions to SCPO, given the actual numbers parading across the entire NSR would hardly support 1 SCPO

I get the feeling that this is true across the entire Reserve and that vacancies are being filled for no other reason other than they exist....... without the troops to support the command structure
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                  I really can't work out why the NSR actually need three promotions to SCPO, given the actual numbers parading across the entire NSR would hardly support 1 SCPO

I get the feeling that this is true across the entire Reserve and that vacancies are being filled for no other reason other than they exist....... without the troops to support the command structure
                  It is a very good point but the vacancy (like all others) possibly means there is someone doing the job already without the recognition or reward (such as it is). It adds motivation and retention, imagine the number of every rank across the AR & NSR who left due to not being promoted being a factor.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                    It is a very good point but the vacancy (like all others) possibly means there is someone doing the job already without the recognition or reward (such as it is). It adds motivation and retention, imagine the number of every rank across the AR & NSR who left due to not being promoted being a factor.
                    But the vacancy exists ... the appointment was created based on a requirement around the numbers of troops... if you haven't got your full establishment you don't need to fill the vacancies ergo you don't need the position..so why are we filling vacancies that only exist on paper?

Promotion for promotions sake is wrong and undermines rank.
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Both arguments are valid. BUT consider this

filling vacancies creates space below . People forget ( or maybe haven't) how atrophied the promotion system has been since the Great Cull of 2012 . It has taken 6 years with no promotion ( to all intents and purposes ) except for the highest ranks where people are aging out rapidly as we just plain cannot get the Department to exceed Establishment

this is a massive hole in the ship which is just plain not been talked about - and I think the debate needs to be there, and not a condescending 'it is what it is'

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                        Both arguments are valid. BUT consider this

filling vacancies creates space below . People forget ( or maybe haven't) how atrophied the promotion system has been since the Great Cull of 2012 . It has taken 6 years with no promotion ( to all intents and purposes ) except for the highest ranks where people are aging out rapidly as we just plain cannot get the Department to exceed Establishment

this is a massive hole in the ship which is just plain not been talked about - and I think the debate needs to be there, and not a condescending 'it is what it is'
                        I speak in general as I don't know what the situation is with strengths and establishments etc, from my old unit there is all but about five people still standing, maybe the structure with the unit that swallowed 31 cav allow for their ranks within its reserve structure but if the OC commanding a Cavalry Squadron is listed as a Commandant, how now do you justify having two in the one unit... 1 PDF and 1 AR or is that appointment a brigade a appointment being filled by an AR Cavalry officer.

I'd be interested in seeing a break down of ranks in the reserve and then see what units have what !

there is no point in a guy holding a company commanders rank and appointment when his actual strength is no greater than a platoon!

Comment

I speak in general as I don't know what the situation is with strengths and establishments etc, from my old unit there is all but about five people still standing, maybe the structure with the unit that swallowed 31 cav allow for their ranks within its reserve structure but if the OC commanding a Cavalry Squadron is listed as a Commandant, how now do you justify having two in the one unit... 1 PDF and 1 AR or is that appointment a brigade a appointment being filled by an AR Cavalry officer.
                          Say again over

Almost all the original 31 Red Cav Sqn are still serving??

I’m not 100% sure about that establishment (which is restricted) but if there 2 commandants appointments in a unit (the PDF one is the OC and the RDF one is a staff officer (not OC RDF or anything like that)). He could be SWA, filling an appointment in a different unit or filling a more junior appointment.

I'd be interested in seeing a break down of ranks in the reserve and then see what units have what !

there is no point in a guy holding a company commanders rank and appointment when his actual strength is no greater than a platoon!
                          Well it’s restricted but wasn’t that the case with every reorg RDF unit

Comment

• Almost all the original 31 Red Cav Sqn are still serving??
                            Should read.... five persons.....

One Capt, One Cmdt, 3 enlisted, two being NCOs

Well it’s restricted but wasn’t that the case with every reorg RDF unit
                            Theres no reason for it to be restricted other than they don't want to highlight the excess in certain ranks.

Comment

Should read.... five persons.....

One Capt, One Cmdt, 3 enlisted, two being NCOs

Theres no reason for it to be restricted other than they don't want to highlight the excess in certain ranks.
                              The establishment is restricted

The overall strength has been published in Dail questions. Ask a TD to ask the question
                              Last edited by DeV; 20 February 2018, 12:47.

Comment

• That Cav Comdt is an SO job . In fairness there are very few of them . There are problems like that in the other direction as well , for example certain units have only Lt's and no Capts/Comdts which presents a difficult problem for career and liaison

I'd also add ( and have said several times ) that the no of RDF Lt Cols and BSMs should be the same.

A really serious CS4 discussion needs to happen; this is not that place but the future of the Reserve especially given what is happening real-world is worth a look ( of course otherwise we whistle into the dark )

now is not actually a bad time.
                                Last edited by trellheim; 20 February 2018, 13:25.

Comment

Working...
                                X